Windows 8 - Feedback thread

After using Windows 8 for almost 2+ months, i have finally shifted to my old and trusty Windows 7.
God it looks so familiar with 7 that now i want to forget all the memories of windows 8 and it's stupid bugs.

One line verdict : Forget windows 8 if you are using a custom rig with lot of muscles, this thing is made only for ARM devices ie. Surface,Touchscreen Ultra portables and AIO.

PS : This is completely my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt :p

Second that , though I appreciate win 8 on my laptop , but hate it in the desktop counterpart .

Hopping in...
Query - I have ordered hp g6 2313ax laptop. Hp have only win 8 drivers currently. I have both 7 and 8 pirated iso. So if I install win 7 first then get win8 key in rs 699, make 8 iso and install on second partition, will both work?

After using Windows 8 for almost 2+ months, i have finally shifted to my old and trusty Windows 7.
God it looks so familiar with 7 that now i want to forget all the memories of windows 8 and it's stupid bugs.

One line verdict : Forget windows 8 if you are using a custom rig with lot of muscles, this thing is made only for ARM devices ie. Surface,Touchscreen Ultra portables and AIO.

PS : This is completely my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt :p

Windows 8 + classic start menu = Windows 7

What bugs are you talking about?

I am using windows 8 on a 5 year old system (3 gb ram and 2 Ghz dual core), works great. What performance issues are you facing.

Hacker

Well i have faced most of the issues with drivers or you can say compatibility like :-

1) First of all, i need ADB and Fastboot drivers for the burst at the time of rooting the device and god knows why Win8 is not compatible with those drivers and i stuck on that process for a week time searching for the solution to that problem.
Finally i picked up my friend's Win7 laptop and rooting is done in 2 minutes and all things worked like a charm.

2) BF3 has it's own set of issues with Win8 initially i fiddled with installations but finally found that Punk buster version does not like Win8 that much.Game becomes buggy and laggy.

3) Uni Xonar provides an aftermarket drivers for my sound card that said they haven't released a stable Win8 version at that time and again i left with beta non stable version which i didn't like.

4) At all nvidia latest drivers gives a windows score of 7.7 in win7 but it drops to 7.5 in Win8, that said it when i installed that drivers it freezed the screen in Win8 and again that drivers worked like a charm in Win7.

5) My front panel USB ports stopped working in Win8 which again worked fine in 7 and i don't know why but these things should not occur in Win8.

All these issues i faced in a time lap of 2 months which again are only some of many issues faced but these are major ones. I have used Win7 for more than 3 years and i haven't faced these issues so i went back to 7 happily.

For installing any unsigned driver in Win8 goto Change PC settings > General > Advanced Startup and restart ur system with driver signature disabled , all the driver fail installation issue will be remedied by this.

Using W8 for sometime now, not able to develop taste for it yet. I may never like it. The first thing I do as soon as I see the main Apps screen is switch to desktop mode.

Btw how to switch off the Password input feature on start-ups ?

Hopping in...
Query - I have ordered hp g6 2313ax laptop. Hp have only win 8 drivers currently. I have both 7 and 8 pirated iso. So if I install win 7 first then get win8 key in rs 699, make 8 iso and install on second partition, will both work?
Yes both win 7 and win 8 will be working.

One more thing is stability and that according to me Win7 >>>> Win8 , it is far more stable.
There is a reason why folks are still using XP on their systems and i am not pessimistic for an Os here i just said what i felt.

- - - Updated - - -

For installing any unsigned driver in Win8 goto Change PC settings > General > Advanced Startup and restart ur system with driver signature disabled , all the driver fail installation issue will be remedied by this.

I have tried that too but that doesn't work with particular root method, though i have successfully installed Nexus ADB drivers using a toolkit through above method.

Windows 8 pro costs 200$ (~ 10k INR) now. Early adopters of windows 8 who bought it at a discount give yourself a pat on your back (if you can !).

- - - Updated - - -

Using W8 for sometime now, not able to develop taste for it yet. I may never like it. The first thing I do as soon as I see the main Apps screen is switch to desktop mode.

The OS was specifically made for touch devices so it wont feel natural with a mouse. I think desktop versions of all OS will be phased out eventually. So at some point in time you ll have to make the switch. Use keyboard shortcuts it will make things easier. Most software devs have'nt made windows 8 versions of their softwares, so the advantages of windows 8 will not be obvious now, but give it some time.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing is stability and that according to me Win7 >>>> Win8 , it is far more stable.
There is a reason why folks are still using XP on their systems
Usage statistics does'nt necessarily relate to stability. Take Internet explorer for example, many windows users still continue to use older versions of the IE. Approximately 7% of the users use IE9 compared to a whopping 38% who still use older versions of IE Source . That does't mean older versions of IE > IE9 does it ?. Many people just dont care enough to upgrade. I personally thought windows 7 was better and way more secure than XP.
As for windows 8 i think it ll catch on once software devs and hardware mfgs support it.

I have been using win8 on my 4 year old PC and have not faced a single issue yet. Most of the programs that can run on Win7 can run on Win8 and every single game that I have tried on my PC is running same as that of win7. And Start Screen is kinda cool, it looks like I'm using a 22" tablet. And the boot time is simply amazing, win8 starts in just 8-9 seconds and win7 used to take a few minutes while starting up.

I am impressed by IE 10 on my Samsung ativ, pinch zoom is so smooth its much better and powerful than my iPad 3 hands down both in desktop mode or tablet mode. I am impressed with windows 8 only wish is some better and mature apps for tablet mode. And I wish ativ was a 10.1incher rather than being the 11.6 that it is.

I have recently bought Lenovo Z500 with Windows 8. The HDD is 1 TB and the default partition was 800 GB for C drive and 25 GB for D drive. Now all my data resides on C drive and if some day there is some issue and I have to reset my laptop then all my C drive data will go.
I can take a backup and restore it but that also requires 60 GB of space. So I want a way to partition by HDD in a ratio of 50:25:25.

1.Please tell me how can I partition my HDD. Windows provides such tool or I need 3rd party tools or should I call the Lenovo people to do this task.

2. If I reset my laptop then all my drives data gets reset or just the C drive.

3. Can I set a auto backup every week without my intervention.

I have recently bought Lenovo Z500 with Windows 8. The HDD is 1 TB and the default partition was 800 GB for C drive and 25 GB for D drive. Now all my data resides on C drive and if some day there is some issue and I have to reset my laptop then all my C drive data will go.
I can take a backup and restore it but that also requires 60 GB of space. So I want a way to partition by HDD in a ratio of 50:25:25.

1.Please tell me how can I partition my HDD. Windows provides such tool or I need 3rd party tools or should I call the Lenovo people to do this task.

2. If I reset my laptop then all my drives data gets reset or just the C drive.

3. Can I set a auto backup every week without my intervention.

Windows 8: How to Create a New Hard Drive Partitions | VikiTech.com

Nalin;1789353[B said:
][/B]

2) BF3 has it's own set of issues with Win8 initially i fiddled with installations but finally found that Punk buster version does not like Win8 that much.Game becomes buggy and laggy.

3) Uni Xonar provides an aftermarket drivers for my sound card that said they haven't released a stable Win8 version at that time and again i left with beta non stable version which i didn't like.

4) At all nvidia latest drivers gives a windows score of 7.7 in win7 but it drops to 7.5 in Win8, that said it when i installed that drivers it freezed the screen in Win8 and again that drivers worked like a charm in Win7.

5) My front panel USB ports stopped working in Win8 which again worked fine in 7 and i don't know why but these things should not occur in Win8.

All these issues i faced in a time lap of 2 months which again are only some of many issues faced but these are major ones. I have used Win7 for more than 3 years and i haven't faced these issues so i went back to 7 happily.

2. I have had no issues whatsoever with Crysis, I am yet to install BF3 again.

3. Xonar drivers are provcided by asus itself, and work as expected.

4. Had no issues with nVidia drivers at all, don't know about the score issue, I haven't even tried that. Why do you think your score should be the same? That was for Win7 and this benchmark is for Win8

5. No issues there in USB as well.

Apart from that My onboard BlueTooth started working which I could not get to work in Win7.

I am using Retail Win 8 SL x64.

Only thing I have customized is that I have 'StartisBack' installed.

I don't think I would go back to Win 7. I was very skeptical before making the switch and had both OS's installed for a period,
now I have imported everything into Win 8 and have done away with my win 7 partition, I have no issues with Win 8 at all.

I have un-installed all the MS apps like Email, Friends etc. and made it much smoother.

I have no issues with an old game like "World in conflict", nor with the newer "Crysis 3".
My SLI works as it did before, and after using it for a month now, I can't even tell that much that its a newer windows.

teche said:
.....just dont give it a password initially, or you can disable it in User Accounts section.

Windows 8 OEM x64 Single Language costed me 7.2K

Win 8 freezes for no reason at times.
Also is there any way to force close apps without the win8 bug reporting thing kicking in. Using ctrl+alt+del(task mgr) at this stage only stays behind the crashed apps window.
And we'll have to wait until it finishes it's thing, then we get a "close program" option. So annoying this is.

Win 8 freezes for no reason at times.
Also is there any way to force close apps without the win8 bug reporting thing kicking in. Using ctrl+alt+del(task mgr) at this stage only stays behind the crashed apps window.
And we'll have to wait until it finishes it's thing, then we get a "close program" option. So annoying this is.

What version are you using...I have put windows reporting off, and my windows is yet to crash, after nearly 3 weeks now.

my windows 8 stopped booting at boot screen after some automatic updates were installed. windows tried to self restore itself for around 2 hrs but couldn't restore it. in end it gave me option of resetting (completely removing all programs/ updates etc) or starting windows normally (which does not happen). had to opt for resetting pc. The os never gave a bsod in all that time though. it would try to repair or restore system files continuously trying to get to the login screen.
i had acronis disk image backups, but couldn't run acronis from cd. acronis would search the drives and then hang for some reason with hdd at full activity.

Back