Windows 8 - Feedback thread

How many people here upgraded from Windows 7 and dont really miss it?.

There's nothing to miss. Windows 8 is Windows 7 polished and done better. You will find most people complaining about start menu being replaced, but once they get used to, or better still realize the new start screen is way better, that there's nothing else to moan about. Some people miss the transparency effects, but let's face it, such cheesy effects are of a bygone era. I always turned off transparency anyway, and it is good to know they are embracing it. Everytime you pick up iOS or OS X after Windows 8 the UI instantly makes me cringe, particularly some of the first party apps with overdone skeumorphism. I know some prefer this kind of masala, but I think a majority prefer the clean designs Microsoft and Google are going for.

Microsoft has clearly mentioned in their site that this is a promotional offer that will run out uptill Jan 31st. quoting from their site. Anyway System builder versions of windows 8 pro are out in Amazon.com and are priced at ~195$ . Windows 7 system builder versions are selling at around the same price. This introductory price offer is just to hustle users into windows 8 and build a critical mass of users before the price hike.

MS will most probably raise prices after the promotional offer but it wont be the old windows rates like 11k. Earlier when MS sold one copy of windows they would not see any extra revenue from that user again but now thanks the to the app store business model that has changed. MS knows that it can earn more money from app store if they get lots of legitimate users which would attract top developers to windows 8.

About the system builder priced at 195$ that is little strange considering that anyone can install a pirated previous version of windows and then get the win 8 upgrade cheap and MS is purposely not checking if the previous version is pirated or not.

Ofcourse I am just speculating here in the end MS will do what they think is good for them.

Well was am about it to get it on my desktop. I ll see what happens, if I feel frustrated will revert back to 7.

I had it on my desktop from couple of days now and I am feeling it at ease. Probably i got habituated to win8 on my lappy already.

Note:: I have a 24 inch monitor and so you know the scrolling around takes sometime but that doesnt add any discomfort (thanks to my Deathadder??)

Been using it for a month now and it took a few days to get comfortable with. I am also using windows defender, even though I have a Kaspersky key with me. For me the best thing was the price. Windows was always a bit expensive and I have been using the Ahem version for years now. But with this price, I bought three copies off FK and converted all the three to legal versions of windows.

Been using it for a month now and it took a few days to get comfortable with. I am also using windows defender, even though I have a Kaspersky key with me. For me the best thing was the price. Windows was always a bit expensive and I have been using the Ahem version for years now. But with this price, I bought three copies off FK and converted all the three to legal versions of windows.
exaclty same is the case with me..

i have a kaspersky key with me too and wanna check defender for now.

I downloaded the versions from windows upgrade too and converted them to image though. Also note that I was able to instal win 8 fresh on my new SSD without any prior win7 copy on it which means I have a full retail copy :p.

PS:: I bought 2 Win8 copies - for my lappy and my desktop and am so happy :p

I finally took the bite and joined the Win8 clan with a legit licence:D after using ahem version for years:ashamed: Its been less than 3-4 since I installed and as it would go first few hours were pretty confusing without the start menu:crazyeyes:(though I had to install Pokki start menu on Mom's account since she could not deal with metro thing) but now I'm comfortable;)

One thing is that all user accounts have to be password protected otherwise it would auto-login to the last used account without password(Mom's account in this case)So I have to logout and then login to my account which gets annoying at times:annoyed: Is there any way around this?

Another thing is that in Win7 when You click a file in a folder then the description pane is shown below but the same thing is not there in Win8. Is there any way to bring that menu?

Finally My system was running pretty fine but since I installed Bitdefender 2013, I'm finding that its getting slowed down since both Windows Defender and Bitdefender seem to be running together. Is Windows Defender good enough?

Finally My system was running pretty fine but since I installed Bitdefender 2013, I'm finding that its getting slowed down since both Windows Defender and Bitdefender seem to be running together. Is Windows Defender good enough?
I am using the stock anti-virus and firewall and it seems all right (this is the first time I am not using A third party firewall/antivirus on windows). But will have to wait for results from avtest.org or avcomparitives before we can be sure. They still have not benchmarked windows 8 anti-virus products. The best thing about this windows is the start up and shutdown times ! 4 second startup and 2 second shutdown ! ! ! I have mapped my laptop power button to shutdown when pressed and so now my laptop switches on and off like a TV ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I finally took the bite and joined the Win8 clan with a legit licence:D after using ahem version for years:ashamed: Its been less than 3-4 since I installed and as it would go first few hours were pretty confusing without the start menu:crazyeyes:(though I had to install Pokki start menu on Mom's account since she could not deal with metro thing) but now I'm comfortable;)

One thing is that all user accounts have to be password protected otherwise it would auto-login to the last used account without password(Mom's account in this case)So I have to logout and then login to my account which gets annoying at times:annoyed: Is there any way around this?

If you are uncomfortable with the new interface keep in mind the following keyboard shortcuts. windows key -> to move between the various 'phases' . Alt+Q to search for apps/settings or anything else you might need to get to.Alt+F4 on an EMPTY desktop to bring up the familiar shutdown/restart/log off dialog. To prevent auto-login during startup try disabling the lock screen in Personalisation. This will cause windows to ask you to type in the username before it logs you in. The best alternative would be to put a simple 3 letter password on your moms account.

i installed windows 8 on my 2nd hdd and when i connect my promary hdd with windows 7 , then win 7 on startup detects errors win 8 drive as having corrupt partitions ....

Now i cannot take the chance to boot into windows 8 as primary as it might even corrupt my primary hdd ......

So i think i will dump windows 8 as screwing my hdd partitions is million times worse than the interface ....

anyone facing this same problem ... its bye bye else for me w.r.t Windows 8

Guys , how much is Win 8 pro if I'm not upgrading ? If this is on my new PC desktop ?
Please provide me a link if you can . MS site has only upgradable links

There is only one version. It can be used to both upgrade and make a clean install. If you want to download it ll costs you INR 2000. You can only download it from Microsoft's site and you will need a CreditCard. If you want to buy the DVD you can buy it from Flipkart.com and it will cost you INR 3500. Windows 8 Download Link (ISO + product key in email). Windows 8 DVD Link.

^^ Upgrade, does it not mean that you got to have a version of Windows already installed? How can it be used to make a clean install on a new PC? Technically it may work but will it be legitimate?

There is only one version. It can be used to both upgrade and make a clean install. If you want to download it ll costs you INR 2000. You can only download it from Microsoft's site and you will need a CreditCard. If you want to buy the DVD you can buy it from Flipkart.com and it will cost you INR 3500. Windows 8 Download Link (ISO + product key in email). Windows 8 DVD Link.

Thanks , may I know if these prices are likely to increase after Jan 2013? Can I use debit card / net banking ? Flip kart link says "item is discontinued".

I got an email email to upgrade my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 8 for Rs.699/-.

They have sent me a promo code also.

As of now, I do not want to upgrade.

Should I buy it in case I want to upgrade it later just for the sake of legitimate upgrade.

Otherwise, I have Windows 8 keys, thanks to the other thread on TE.
tongue.png

Sir, How to make payment of Rs. 699/- for those having only credit card valid in indian payement ?

Back