Windows 8 - Feedback thread

kvikram

Skilled
Created this one as one hasn't been created yet.
Just installed it, and it's so different, it feels kind of nauseous. I have half a mind to go back to Windows 7, :23: but let's see if I get used to the UI.

Some things are so obviously designed for tablets, like the brightness button. :mad:

I'm hoping for modders to bring back the Aero transparency and the start button.

I installed it a few days back and am liking it already. Of course it takes a bit to get used and can get frustrating initially. The best part is that I did not have to install a single driver.

I installed it along with win 7 as dual boot - working without any hitch on my laptop. But my primary OS is still Win 7. It will take some time getting used to a new interface on a desktop or laptop specially that is designed keeping touchscreen in mind. But with time you will get used to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I installed it a few days back and am liking it already. Of course it takes a bit to get used and can get frustrating initially. The best part is that I did not have to install a single driver.

+1.
With Win 7 I had to install the wireless LAN driver manually but with WIN 8 no manual effort was needed :) .

I have been using Windows 8 for long. More than a year now. Windows 8 Developer preview (13/09/2011), Windows 8 Consumer Preview ( February, 2012), Windows 8 Release Preview (May 2012) and now I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. Start up is very fast compared to Windows 7 Ultimate which was my earlier O.S.

Nvidia has released a Windows 8 64 bit driver on 10/10/2012. Did have some problem with the earlier Beta driver for Windows 8 Release Preview.

I am really impressed by the system. It is faster and more stable. There are so many enhancements.

But the most noticeable thing is the tight integration to the Internet. You log in with your Microsoft account. Use Office on the web, SkyDrive. I am also using Office 2013 Preview.

Of course I do miss the launch excitement of Windows 7 when we had windows 7 launch parties. I hosted one. Got a Signature Windows 7 Ultimate edition signed by Steve Ballmer and other Goodies from Microsoft.:)

I was playing Bioshock and was getting really weird sound. Then I realized that Windows had automatically set the speakers to 7.1 channel, and I was only getting two channels. :p

So far so good here as well. Liked the new interface, specially the way apps use the entire screen area. Have to mention IE10 was a dark horse, wasn't expecting it to be good. Still Win7 is my primary though.

Reviewers saying things like "Win8 is unfinished product, especially with the UI etc" but I actually like the "dual mode" kind of UI, where for most stuff I can stay on the Metro (aka Windows 8 Modern UI) and for more demanding stuff (office docs, visual studio etc) it switches to the classic desktop UI. I don't even mind that they got rid of AERO Glass and the Start button in the desktop UI.

Sure there are a few annoyances like IE10 does not allow plugins (flash or even Silverlight) in the Metro mode, you have to switch to desktop version, its TAB dropdown area is also limited (cant open too many tabs without losing some) and clumsy, keeps hiding itself while Im trying to click/switch between tabs, unless I expose it directly by right-clicking on an empty area on the current webpage.

Some reviews pointing out that Win8 UI cannot handle the super high PPI displays, some fonts get too large or too small, for example, hope that gets fixed ASAP if true.

I am totally enjoying Win8 UI on my old desktop, still fun to click around the UI with a mouse (took a short while to get accustomed to it) instead of touch, and using some of the keyboard shortcuts too.

I'm looking forward to replace my current 5 year old laptop with some sort of Win8 convertible like the Dell XPS 12 (assuming Microsoft Surface Pro is not coming to India with sales/warranty support).

I'm hoping for modders to bring back the Aero transparency and the start button.

Isn't the Aero transparency already there. Also those who are complaining about the start button, there is something even better according to me. You just take the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner and click (just like you would for a start button). The whole start screen pops up. You click again at the bottom left and it goes away. The transition is so smooth as well.

In fact I am yet to notice anything that is worse than Windows 7.

Yea, and if you like using keyboard shortcuts, you just press the WINDOWS key to go back and forth between the "Start Screen" and the current app :) No need to move your mouse to the corner and wait for the popup to click.

Installed it after getting the key from the dreamspark deal

My thoughts
-Really fluid and looks streamlined
-As a new OS, will obviously have driver issues, have faced one till now with my blackwidow
-Metro is beautiful but hindrance in usability
-Liked the Windows Explorer
-Awesome new Task Manager
-Faster mostly in navigating and quick boot time and faster wake up from sleep

All in all seriously great experience, if you can get it at such a low price(in case of the dreamspark deal) you should definitely upgrade

Isn't the Aero transparency already there. Also those who are complaining about the start button, there is something even better according to me. You just take the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner and click (just like you would for a start button). The whole start screen pops up. You click again at the bottom left and it goes away. The transition is so smooth as well.

In fact I am yet to notice anything that is worse than Windows 7.
The Aero animations are there but the transparency has been scrapped.

About the start button, I guess you are right. However there are a couple of things I miss :

1. Searching files instantly from the start menu (the search feature only searches the apps)
  2. Running run commands like cmd directly from the search bar
  3. Quickly accessing My Computer through the start menu

But I guess I'll have to get used to it. ;)

About the start button, I guess you are right. However there are a couple of things I miss :

1. Searching files instantly from the start menu (the search feature only searches the apps)

You can almost do all of those, you have to just press the windows start key and start typing it search for apps as well as settings

win 8 start menu opens blazingly fast,so it is not at all a limiting factor but an advantage to the OS.why would I ever waste money on an android or ios tablet when i can get win 8 in them?win 8 finally converts tablets to portable PC's.(gosh google must be kidding itself if it thought android really gave much more functionality than watching videos on tablets)

win 8 start menu opens blazingly fast,so it is not at all a limiting factor but an advantage to the OS.why would I ever waste money on an android or ios tablet when i can get win 8 in them?win 8 finally converts tablets to portable PC's.(gosh google must be kidding itself if it thought android really gave much more functionality than watching videos on tablets)

The reason is price, of course. The cheapest Windows 8 tablet announced so far is Acer Iconia W510 at $499 while premium ones like Thinkpad Tablet 2 or Samsung Ativ PC will be $650. I doubt there will ever be a $200 7 inch Windows RT tablet. Not only does Windows RT/8 cost Microsoft also has very strict hardware requirements to ensure a premium experience. I think the minimum specs are like 32GB space, 2GB RAM, DirectX 10 drivers, 1366x768 and as of now only 4 tablet processors are certified - Atom Z2670, AMD Z-60, Tegra 3+ and Snapdragon S4. Can you think of any tablet currently on the market meeting these specs?

Windows 8 is great with keyboard/mouse but it is almost magical on a touch screen. In decades of computing this is honestly the first time a piece of software is pleasurable to use. Not just that, it has all the power of Windows 7 and more as a bonus, in totality it makes iOS and Android devices look like toys.

On the other hand if you just want to watch videos, Transformer Infinity and iPad offer higher resolution screens for $499 and to be fair most tablet users just use it casually as a side device...

The other thing is that iOS and Android have way more apps. But I don't think that matters, most of the apps are junk anyway and the big developers and all apps worth a damn will surely have Windows Store apps out soon. Microsoft says there will be 100,000 apps by January. There are 5000 apps now, even before release,

Searching files is actually much easier. The default view is Apps but just click/tap on Files underneath it. The old menu was really clumsy but the new one is very elegant while looking for files, automatically grouping file types and of course the added real estate makes it really easy to find what you need. It is so good that I have stopped using Explorer!

It can run many common commands too. Try cmd and it will bring up Command Prompt as the result. Try regedit and it will get you Registry Editor. Additionally, instead of left clicking on the bottom left corner, try right clicking, there's a pretty handy Power Menu. Also accessible through Win+X. Among other things you get command prompt there.

Another advantage of the new Start screen is you can pin not just apps but also folders, locations and even control panel settings. To get Computer, simply open Explorer, right click on Computer and select Pin to Start - you will now see a Computer tile. I have pinned all my frequent apps, folders, settings, etc. I can't remember the last time I opened Explorer or Control Panel in Desktop!

It's all there, but does need some learning.

All of that said, everyone has to realize that this is not Windows 8 as much as Windows Next 1.0. There are many quirks and inconsistencies which is very normal for a brand new platform. The good news is Microsoft is working at a break neck pace. Last week there was a major Cumulative Update. Such updates came only with Service Pack 1 after 1 year, now they have gone ahead and pulled it forward to before the release!!!

good sum up sub,and about the drivers,i think i am a lucky chap as i have not had a single problem of drivers with win 8(that may be because my rig is new and so every component already has updated drivers).win 7 drivers work pretty well with win 8(used it on one laptop).

@Sub Nice sum up! You taught me a lot of things I didn't know yet. :p

Once Windows 8 officially releases, introduction of metro apps for normal stuff like browsers will change a lot of things I assume. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back