Windows 8 - Feedback thread

Sei

Skilled
Aug 14, 2006
Pune
Can't you keep your own account, signed in via Live ID, and keep a separate account for other family members/guests?

theoracle

Adept
Jun 4, 2011
I have been experimenting with Windows 8 in a Virtual Setup:
* There is an option given at the beginning, where it asks if you want to sign-in using Live ID, I always avoid that option and create a local user.
* The biggest annoyance is the Metro UI, but this probably is partly due our reluctance to change :ashamed: . Currently I am trying to get used to it by using [win] + X button and other keyboard shortcuts, which does most of the work I wanted to do with Start Menu. If you know the keyboard shortcuts well, you any way won't have to use start menu.
* In a Dual Monitor Setup , the situation is some what better , you will have the Metro UI on one screen and old desktop on the other monitor.
* Installation time was blazing fast, this was really good improvement from previous editions.

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009
i have a 3g connection as my primary internet.so without logging in on the internet one cannot start as a default user?

sudhanshu123

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
New Delhi
yes the live id login can be disabled and you can also make a simple offline account like the one's we used to make in all other previous windows.and even if you have made an online account and you are not connected to the internet ,you can just enter your password and you can use your account in offline mode,no problem.so it doesn't even matter what account you made,internet or no internet,just enter your password(if you had set one) and continue using your pc.

ubergeek

Skilled
Jul 10, 2007
I was unable to install nvidia drivers :( i tried booting in safe mode and tried couple of work arounds none of em seem so reverted back to windows 7 which i feel is MUCH MUCH better thanks to a proper start menu.did anyone face any problems installing nvidia drivers on windows 8 ?

sudhanshu123

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
New Delhi
^^i did not face any problems installing nvidia drivers,which version were you installing?there are official win 8 drivers out by nvidia.is your version x64 or x86?mine is x64..

honest1

Adept
Aug 17, 2010
MUMBAI
I am unable to add my office account in the native email client. All settings are perfect as I am able to configure the same account on Outlook. What can be done?

Sub

Adept
Aug 12, 2010
Just 3 days to go and no listing of Windows 8 whatsoever anywhere in India. Hoping the Windows 8 Pro upgrade offer shows up on 26th but not too optimistic...

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
I was able to install legacy NVidia drivers for my 5 year old "tablet" (as it was known back in those days) GeForce Go 6150 onboard chipset by right clicking the installer EXE and setting compatibility to "Windows Vista x64" (I downloaded Vista drivers off NVidia site) and also selecting the checkbox "Run as administrator" before saving those settings and double-clicking the installer EXE to launch it :)

Same way I was able to install ASUS Xonar DX sound card Windows 7 x64 drivers (don't remember but I probably didn't have to do those steps) and they're both working like a charm.

Sei

Skilled
Aug 14, 2006
Pune
After using it for 3-4 days, I am getting used to the shortcuts and basic navigation. Loving it on the 40" LCD! :)

PS: Are you guys using the Windows 8 RC version? There are very few apps present in the store but in all the youtube vids that I have seen, people are using so many apps.

yashvisent

Disciple
Sep 11, 2009
Mumbai
Guys which version / variant of windows 8 most of you people have installed

also is there a 'start button' i had installed windows 8 professional a few days back but due to the lack of traditional start button i almost stopped using it.

the new UI is good but confusing at times