Suggest me a download solution

Maybe this can help you....
<

doesn't the pogoplug require a pogoplug account to access data off a shared device connected to it even from internal network?

i think the goflex net does not require pogoplug account for this. plus it has 1.2GHz proccy.

^how does proccy matters if it cannot be used as a system ? In video streaming ?

#[member='honest1'] - thanks for the link mate, will check it out
<

Edit : Okay, I checked the link. All I could find out was Pogoplug can be used as cloud storage, file server & to share images & stream videos. All these can be done with Asus RT also right ?

doesn't the pogoplug require a pogoplug account to access data off a shared device connected to it even from internal network?

i think the goflex net does not require pogoplug account for this. plus it has 1.2GHz proccy.

Both the Pogoplug device and GoFlex Net by default work as a cloud storage system. Its once you remove that and install a full linux OS you get the additional features. Once you install a full linux OS, it has no connection to the Pogoplug system.

The Pogoplug Pink comes with a 700 Mhz Dual Core processor. Depending on the batch the P21 also can with the same configuration as the GoFlex Net.

^how does proccy matters if it cannot be used as a system ? In video streaming ?

#[member='honest1'] - thanks for the link mate, will check it out
<

Edit : Okay, I checked the link. All I could find out was Pogoplug can be used as cloud storage, file server & to share images & stream videos. All these can be done with Asus RT also right ?

I don't think you have understood how the device works or what all it can do. Obviously the processor, memory and everything matters even if its headless. Mate you can stream the videos over the network, you don't need a display for it.

Yeah, thats what I want to know what all stuff Pogoplug can do over Asus RT. Even Asus RT also can be used to stream videos right

I think you are trying to hard to find difference between n13 and pogo rather than understanding what each device is. I'll summarize as per ur requirement

Both devices after Linux is flashed are same where they differ are

1. You can use n13 as router too pogo too has wifi capabilities but would be available only after kernel 3.1

2. Pogo is better in terms of CPU and performance

3. Pogo with arch Linux and debian has better support.

4. The number of packages available for pogo is way higher than n13.

5. Rest remains same most packages run on n13 too but due to low memory and CPU it can't pull it off.

Pardon me for any typo was typing from cell lying on bed

Both the Pogoplug device and GoFlex Net by default work as a cloud storage system. Its once you remove that and install a full linux OS you get the additional features. Once you install a full linux OS, it has no connection to the Pogoplug system.

The Pogoplug Pink comes with a 700 Mhz Dual Core processor. Depending on the batch the P21 also can with the same configuration as the GoFlex Net.

I don't think you have understood how the device works or what all it can do. Obviously the processor, memory and everything matters even if its headless. Mate you can stream the videos over the network, you don't need a display for it.

From seagate site: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/file-sharing/

• Get continuous access within your home network when Samba (SMB) shares are enabled, even if you do not subscribe to Pogoplug
  • Allows in-network access to your GoFlex and USB-attached drives, (once Windows File sharing is enabled through the Settings page), and P:Drive (after downloading the free application for direct desktop access)

Also

Streams content and media files onto a TV from a GoFlex TV or FreeAgent Theater+ HD media player without skipping or pausing, thanks to a fast Gigabit Ethernet connection

*[sup]Pogoplug Service is subject to Pogoplug terms and conditions. Files on your home network may be accessed by devices on the same network without activating Pogoplug service. Pogoplug service is required for remote file access and Internet file sharing—no fees apply, no strings attached.[/sup]

The only thing it does not have is a built in torrent downloader. Since all i want is to download torrents, so i require to put a linux os on it.

Can the linux os be removed if it causes any problems while installing or if it gets installed wrong? I think arch linux has this option only for series 4 pogoplug.

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-series-4

He doesn't care to buy the product
<

Oh he does care (not enough to install linux and what not). Can't keep my humungous machine running just for downloads 18 hours a day.

Need a low cost and no brainer solution...

Actually there are now 2 machines in the house and my younger brother can't seem to get it into his head to shut down the system when he leaves (he doesn't even download anything)

i have one more question. can these devices be monitored in anyway after flashing to linux?

example: i'm facing a situation now when the net keeps disconnecting for some reason in middle of downloads. the only way i can make that out is to see if there's some download indication on modem or in software in windows like netmeter. sometimes on modem all light are on but there is no download happening.
<
only way is to reboot the modem to cure its illness.

since this P21 is headless how will i figure out if transmission inside is downloading or not?

1. You can use n13 as router too pogo too has wifi capabilities but would be available only after kernel 3.1

2. Pogo is better in terms of CPU and performance

3. Pogo with arch Linux and debian has better support.

4. The number of packages available for pogo is way higher than n13.

5. Rest remains same most packages run on n13 too but due to low memory and CPU it can't pull it off.

Pardon me for any typo was typing from cell lying on bed

Thanks for the detailed reply !

1. What happens after 3.1 ? Pogo can be connected to PC over WiFi ?

2. Got it.

3. Got it.

4. What do you mean by no. of packages ?

5. hmm...

No.Pogo can then used as additional wifi device.

No of packages mean you will have lot of support in terms of programs written example ex. webmin , sabnzd it allows developers to code packages which brings it to open source world

Back