Suggest me a download solution

avi

Skilled
I have BSNL 750 UL & plan, since speed is around 60kb/s, I don't prefer to keep my lappie on all the time.

I need a download solution. I read about External HDDs directly downloading from internet. I already have an external HDD & what 'extra' device I have to connect it so that it can download on itself ?

OR shall I go wtih Rasberry Pi ?

OR any other solutions ?

Thank you !!

^thanks for replying, I will look into it
<

are there any other cheaper alternatives ?

and also what would be uses / features of GoFlex ?

and also can this router used for downloads ? - http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN16/

yeah, 90% of the guys it will be torrents guys, so Asus one will do I guess.

Can anyone tell what are other features with which it can be used ?

Also, does it support dial up connections OR direct line [i.e. username & password dialed in modem itself]

Also any light on PogoPlug vs Asus one ?

Thank you in advance !

And would it be wise to buy Asus one against Pogoplug ?

Depends. If you already have a router in place and wish to just add download option, a pogoplug/seagate go flex is a better option. If all you have is a modem, then the ASUS is a better option.

Also, I would suggest to opt for seagate go flex net if you want to add SATA HDD's. If its USB drives, both are ok.

I already have a router. Actually my I am using the modem which is given by BSNL itself [router + modem]

Where can I buy GoFlex or Pogoplug ? in ebay.in, both prices are 6k+.

also, for what other purposes the pogoplug can be used ? Is it also just like Rasberry Pi ?

I already have a router. Actually my I am using the modem which is given by BSNL itself [router + modem]

Where can I buy GoFlex or Pogoplug ? in ebay.in, both prices are 6k+.

also, for what other purposes the pogoplug can be used ? Is it also just like Rasberry Pi ?

Just check if you have more than 1 ethernet port, else, its just a modem. You will need to get a switch to proceed with using either.

If you want the Go Flex, some one on TE is selling the same for 3.5K in classfields. As for the Pogoplug, you will need to order it and ask #varkey for help.

Once you have Arch linux running on the rig of your choice, you can install the applications that you want, for torrents ~ transmission and for http downloads, pyload.

It can also be used as a web server, etc. #varkey can answer that better than me for the go flex. #dinjo can help you with the pogoplug.

Raspberry Pi has video out facility, so it can be used as a visual device also. The above 2 cannot do that.

I would suggest to stick to the ASUS RT N13 for now if you only have a modem.

Just check if you have more than 1 ethernet port, else, its just a modem. You will need to get a switch to proceed with using either.

Need not be the case. Some modem + router comes with just one ethernet port as well.

As for the GoFlex Net / Pogoplug it will be the same for your purpose, so just get whichever is available for cheap. I like the Kirkwood based devices ie the Dockstar, GoFlex Net, Pogoplug v2 as it has a much newer Kernel etc.

You can get a Pogoplug P21 for about 2.9k from JR.com through ICC ShopAbroad

#varkey

Anyways the back light of pogo be turned off I meant the LAN , have already turned off front

Actually the naked version also hard to get, we have to pre-order it. I read somewhere that it might become like NI Adam. And also it costs around 2.6k-2.7k

#varkey - 2.9K is good & even Asus Router also costs same. I will make a list comparing both & then decide

Back