Suggest me a download solution

Pogo is definitely more powerful device when it compared in terms of just running it as Download Box

you dont need a network harddrive.. just a plain usb hdd and a router which can download torrents directly. they are available and not too expensive.. but make sure the router has a usb slot to connect the HDD. then you wont need to spend extra money on any kind of network assisted storage.

Quick question.

Many trackers support a limited number of P2P clients and that becomes a concern because I use a plethora of private trackers. Would this be an issue with Asus RT-N16?

I have not seen any trackers which does not support transmission only BCG does not support latest version of Transmission but they keep upgrading to allow support for new version of transmission

I think I should go with Pogoplug since it offers more features than a router & also small in size.

I read there are variants of it & which one is good ?

^ Don't be deceived by the pics. The Pogoplug is not really that small, compared to my Dockstar and GoFlex Net, the Pogoplug is significantly bigger this is cause the power supply is inbuilt. I think it will be about the same size as the N13U or maybe even bigger.
<

Well you can go for the P21 which I linked earlier, it seems to be based on the Kirkwood chipset as well.

^ Seems you didn't read my earlier post then?
<

http://www.jr.com/po...pe/PGG_POGOP21/

Quote: Rs 3,072.00

Item price + local shipping + taxes RS. 1,927.25

Int'l Shipping RS. 765.00

Duty, Taxes & fees RS. 480.29

Discount - RS. 100

TOTAL RS. 3,072.00

http://www.shopabroa.../onlinecalc.asp

Edit : Its available for Rs 2.7k from Buy.com

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=221688297&sellerid=9298649

Use ShopAbroad Promo Code - BUY250

Quote: Rs 2,699.00

Item price + local shipping + taxes RS. 1,734.47

Int'l Shipping RS. 765.00

Duty, Taxes & fees RS. 449.55

Discount - RS. 250

TOTAL RS. 2,699.00

I think I should go with Pogoplug since it offers more features than a router & also small in size.

As mentioned earlier, go with what is your requirement. I opted for the Go Flex over the Pogoplug for mainly 2 reasons. 2 SATA ports with port multiplier support. Secondly, Go Flex portable drop in support.
<

The pogoplug is more powerful, but you need to cut open the cover to get to the internal sata slot.

Guys if I go with Asus RT N13U will I be saving lots of power ?

currently I have Dell XPS L501x which uses 135 Watt charger. How it is compared against Asus router

@vivek - wouldn't mind cutting & opening
<

^ Using a 135 watt charger doesn't mean the laptop consumes that much power while running. A higher wattage charger just charges the battery much faster.

The Asus N13U would be using max 5-10w

So there won't be any power saving ?

I thought I'd be saving power [+electricity bill
<
] if I go with a router OR Pogoplug. So what'd be others for you guys to consider a separate download option ?

^ Ofcourse there will be difference in power consumption, I just said that the laptop won't use 135w while running. Your laptop probably uses about 30-40w maybe more (not really sure
<
), so yes you will be reducing the power consumption.

If I will be saving power, then I will go with it
<

I have few doubts, regarding Asus RT :

-Can I monitor the downloads ? Check the speeds of different torrents ? Do I need laptop for this OR can I connect it to remotely from mobile ? Any apps are there ?

-Can I perform all the uTorrent functions ? Like limiting the download speeds ? Assigning max bandwidth to one torrent & less to another ?

-What happens when my net disconnects & reconnects ? Will it be resumed ?

And also any known disadvantages would be helpful
<

Everything you mentioned is taken care u will need to flash Dd wrt and install transmission , the android app is torrent fu

Oh nice !

So any known dis advantages ?

I already have a ADSL modem + router given by BSNL. So I can use that with it OR it just have to a modem only ? And also can I use both routers simultaneously ?

the modem can be configured to dial itself OR dial in Windows. Can both options work ?

also when I change Asus RT to download mode, I can use it as router OR no ?

Do I need PC every time OR I can just start new downloads with torrent fu app ?

Oh cool, seems it has lots of possibilities.

Say if I am going out of station for 2-3 days, then can I use this Router + HDD ? Since I can remotely monitor it...

and also what happens if torrent client crashes ?

Back