Suggest 32" LCD TV for around 35k

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
no i just knew he purchased it,only when he posted here in this forums.

haven't seen the 42" version of 5609(philips lcds are getting extinct here in india for reasons unknown,really hard to find them nowdays,we don't even see their company ADS in papers or telly) .

but the 32" version is really great for the price,the philips models have one of the best image processing,the sonys do a bit better in the SD.the motion capability of the philips is however really good and smooth,slightly better then the sammy/sony in that department.

but one thing is the 5609 is no way equal to a 9703.but if u can get the 9703 for 57k considering the overall performance i would say its indeed a steal.

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Yup agreed - the 56xx and 74xx use cheaper 8 bit panels which are no way close to the panel used in the 97xx/98xx. Plus the build quality was also much inferior. AFAIK the top of the line Perfect Pixel HD image processor exists only on the 9000 series LCDs. The others get cheaper/inferior image processing systems.

Croma carries the entire Philips range btw. If you can manage to get the last remaining 9703 LCDs, nothing like it :).

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
afaik their are two models of the philips 9703d,h or something like that one of them come with ambient lighting ,the other doesn't.

meghna

Disciple
Mar 14, 2008
Mumbai
kidrow said:
@meghna: The Philips 5609 as well as the 5409 are available at Croma, Malad [next to D-Mart] for around Rs.37k & 34k [not too sure abt this one though]. Also asked him if it's the last piece n he said 'no, you'll get a peti pack'. Still, here's the no. 61508200. Call up before you go.

Thanks for inquiring, however, i had already placed the order on Saturday morning.. it got delivered on Sunday morning and the wall mounting was done by Sunday evening. Finally decided and nailed down on Samsung LA40B530P7R. Yeah, got a 40" one.. was contemplating between 37 and 40 after checking out the 32" which i found to be just a bit big than the monitors we use. The price diff wasn't a lot between 37 and 40 so ultimately went in for the same. Got it from Croma, they had a free samsung camera that they were giving off which i didn't go for and got the amount deducted. The damages were 50,000 against the showroom price of 57,000 (deducted the camera and haggled for more discount) and further coaxed the guy to give us 2 HDMI cables with it.

Did quite a bit of R&D with it. Best was plugging the PC via the HDMI and doing every bit of the PC stuff on it... watching movies / playing games / surfing etc. The PQ is great and i did fiddle with the in-built modes and change according to the situation. Looks wise i think its reasonable.. found the build quality to be 'okayish' especially on the back - the reason being when the guy who came down for mounting it on the wall and was screwing the mount on the back of the TV i found the back to be flimsy. Hopefully, i'll be putting a mini review with pictures in the showoff soon.

Thx to everyone for your inputs !

apextwin146

Adept
Mar 27, 2008
Chaos said:
Got a Philips 42PFL9703 today and I'm loving it so far. Got a super deal on it to boot.
How did u manage to get it for 57K?!!! Did u trade in some old TV? heck it wasnt even there when i last checked ... Which chroma did u check?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
apextwin146 said:
How did u manage to get it for 57K?!!! Did u trade in some old TV? heck it wasnt even there when i last checked ... Which chroma did u check?

like he said he bought the last display piece.

apextwin146

Adept
Mar 27, 2008
aahh .. I thought he mentioned that several pieces were left hence i asked .. .. oh well nice bargain on a display piece cuz it retailed much more than that i think ..
oh bty when do u reckon the new Viera lineup would here in india .. Specially the g25 and u2 series ..

always-shri

Disciple
Nov 13, 2009
Bangalore
Saw Samsung's ad regarding free Sun direct hd connection with every lcd/led tv.

Is it truly free or has the price of the TV been increased to provide the 'free' offer?

hunt3r

Skilled
Feb 17, 2006
Guys im looking to get a 32" LCD as well, and needed some help and opinions :)

Usage is mainly SD content thru TATA sky. Might watch a few movies and HD content now and then. Is plasma still the technology of choice for SD content? If so which plasma is the one to get and whats the price?

If not which LCD is the best to go for. Budget is around 30-35k. Is the Philips 5609 still the recommended choice? What about the Samsung B530/B550? And howw are the new Sony's, EX and BX series i think?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
well the 5609 is good VFM,but if u want something better in terms of SD in mind and contrast u can go for the EX400(within ur budget if bought in the grey market).
the B530 is also great choice.

no ,plasma being better for SD is a myth,its all with the image processing and resolution of the tv.

hunt3r

Skilled
Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for your reply adder :)

Is the 5609 good for SD content? Reading the first few pages of this thread people said it wasnt the best for SD content.

Which one is better among the B530 and EX400? Also whats the difference between the EX300/400 and BX 300/400? Also do the Sony's and Samsung's play movies off USB?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
hunt3r said:
Thanks for your reply adder :)

Is the 5609 good for SD content? Reading the first few pages of this thread people said it wasnt the best for SD content.

Which one is better among the B530 and EX400? Also whats the difference between the EX300/400 and BX 300/400? Also do the Sony's and Samsung's play movies off USB?

5609 is certainly good,its just that the sony edges it sligthly.
the EX300 is HD ready while the EX400 is FHD.the BX range is entry level,simplified menu,lesser input connections,may be with lcd venders backlight and color filter.EX low end range may have the same backlight but with a slightly different color filter tailor made for sony specs.

both the samsung and the sony can play movies,but with limited playback capability.honestly haven't bothered to look into the USB playback capabilty.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
I was wondering why ppl bothered with USB capability.

Yes, its convenient but how much of a premium do you pay for it ?

A disc player or a HTPC would sort all of this out with possibly more options on playback & even response time.