Suggest 32" LCD TV for around 35k

adder said:
5609 is certainly good,its just that the sony edges it sligthly.
the EX300 is HD ready while the EX400 is FHD.the BX range is entry level,simplified menu,lesser input connections,may be with lcd venders backlight and color filter.EX low end range may have the same backlight but with a slightly different color filter tailor made for sony specs.

both the samsung and the sony can play movies,but with limited playback capability.honestly haven't bothered to look into the USB playback capabilty.

Does SD content look better on a TV with 720p or full HD? I think i read it looks better in a 720p tv :huh:

Alright thanks. I've heard the LG's can play mkv's directly off USB but then apart from the sound other TV's seem to be a lot better.

@blr_p, i wouldnt pay a premium for it, or rather not a significant premium. But if it can play stuff directly off the usb its very convenient to watch a movie. I have a dvd player as well but it dosent support usb, so instead of spending more on a new dvd player if the tv can play it its an added bonus for me.

hunt3r said:
Does SD content look better on a TV with 720p or full HD? I think i read it looks better in a 720p tv :huh:
No, Sony according to adder is the best for SD content. Its got nothing to do with 720p or HD but the rendering engine which Sony seems to do better with. If there was no SD reqmt there are much cheaper options to be had with the other brands.

hunt3r said:
Alright thanks. I've heard the LG's can play mkv's directly off USB but then apart from the sound other TV's seem to be a lot better.
Never understood why ppl care about sound from a tv, the only thing you should pay for is picture quality.

hunt3r said:
@blr_p, i wouldnt pay a premium for it, or rather not a significant premium. But if it can play stuff directly off the usb its very convenient to watch a movie. I have a dvd player as well but it dosent support usb, so instead of spending more on a new dvd player if the tv can play it its an added bonus for me.
Could you connect a USB HDD and play off that ? much more viewing possible than just a stick.

Now if there was an ethernet jack on tv it would be much more flexible. Only on the high end models for now i think.

blr_p said:
No, Sony according to adder is the best for SD content. Its got nothing to do with 720p or HD but the rendering engine which Sony seems to do better with. If there was no SD reqmt there are much cheaper options to be had with the other brands.
Never understood why ppl care about sound from a tv, the only thing you should pay for is picture quality.
Could you connect a USB HDD and play off that ? much more viewing possible than just a stick.

Now if there was an ethernet jack on tv it would be much more flexible. Only on the high end models for now i think.

Well not everyone buys a separate audio system with a TV, for most people the sound from the TV is sufficient. Also depends on the available space, some people may not have space and/or budget for a separate system hence go for tv's with better inbuilt speakers.

Ive read that USB HDD's are hit and miss. With some players/tv's they work and some they dont. But apparently they only work when formatted in FAT and not NTFS.

blr_p said:

If the tv has reasonable speakers, you don't need to bother turning on your separate audio setup for watching normal cable TV which doesn't have great sound anyway.

As far as the ethernet jack is concerned, my TV has one that supports DLNA but its useless since its just too slow to play hidef content because it must be transcoded into mpeg2 for the tv to understand on the fly by a DLNA capable player.

hunt3r I'd suggest you head to that Reliance Digital close to your place and look at the TVs in person. Finally its your preferences that matter. Some folks prefer pure contrast, some prefer color accuracy, some may prefer something else.

For those guys staying in Delhi, i would suggest to Visit Vijay Sales Counter at any of the Showrooms: Pitampura, Janakpuri or Lajpat Nagar. I recently visited thier Lajpat Nagar Showroom and saw every possible brand right from SONY, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Sharp etc. Around 125 LCDs in the ground floor. Their float their own rate called VSP Rate which is pretty competitive.

hunt3r said:
Well not everyone buys a separate audio system with a TV, for most people the sound from the TV is sufficient. Also depends on the available space, some people may not have space and/or budget for a separate system hence go for tv's with better inbuilt speakers.
Chaos said:
If the tv has reasonable speakers, you don't need to bother turning on your separate audio setup for watching normal cable TV which doesn't have great sound anyway.
No HDTV has bad sound, they are all more or less similar, its just that LG jazz had to compensate for an interior display and this is used as a selling point but only for the uninformed.

We do not have HDTV broadcasts of any sort in this country (yet). SunDTH offers it for some Tamil & Telegu programs, great if you use those langauges not so great otherwise.

Therefore the biggest use currently in this country for a full HDTV is for games & movies. To really enjoy them you would want to add a HT sound system. After all you bought the TV to enjoy the picture quality so why skimp on the sound. It's true that cable sound is not great but in this case you'd have the sound system connected anyway.

This is why i thought better sound on the TV is pointless, its going to get replaced by a more capable sound system anyway.

hunt3r said:
Ive read that USB HDD's are hit and miss. With some players/tv's they work and some they dont. But apparently they only work when formatted in FAT and not NTFS.
FAT ?!? in this day & age

Thats no good at all then :(

USB in that case is not worth it as the old way still works, copy to a DVD-RW and stick in the disc player.

Chaos said:
As far as the ethernet jack is concerned, my TV has one that supports DLNA but its useless since its just too slow to play hidef content because it must be transcoded into mpeg2 for the tv to understand on the fly by a DLNA capable player.
Yeah, some do MP4, but the compliance isn't very common yet. And thats just a container which could have any sort of encoded content within. As you found out the hype is a bit premature still. Hopefully in the future the DLNA players will be more capable. But to do those MKV's natively will require more processing power and you'll pay for it in the cost of the TV itself. In one sense you're better off you did not get a Sony as I have zero confidence in them making this option play very well given their media interests.

The only advantage DLNA offers is that instead of having a small HTPC hooked to the TV you connect an ethernet cable and have your media store --somewhere-- else but the drawbacks at this point make it not worth it. I have my doubts they will ever replace a HTPC, maybe only for those not interested in setting up a HTPC.

All this only goes to prove the point that division of labour is the best way to go. Mixing stuff ends up with inferior solutions.

more then DLNA upcoming tvs like the sony NX700 and EX600/700 and upwards support internet video,where one can stream videos from youtube and other sources,they have built in wifi N(NX700) or a usb based(EX600 range) wifi N adaptor can be added this i think is a useful feature then DLNA.

[youtube]0EiC4POzpIU[/youtube]

or one can just buy a Xtreamer media player.

adder said:
or one can just buy a Xtreamer media player.

or any of several other media players. The biggest advantage with them is you can customise how that content will appear and tweak it to the max. And these products will be in active development so it gets better over time.

When its offered by the TV, they will offer a crappy interface that is fixed, might improve for a few firmware iterations and then you get dumped because they moved to the next product :(

They only mention youtube but there are other streaming sites as well, who is going to integrate them in so they are seamless, also if there are any protocol changes the firmware needs to be updated, well, how long will Sony continue to support the firmware ?

These offerings are mixing features so that the non-tech savvy can do more. They are no where as good or flexible as a HTPC or similar attached. Just a value add which is still gimmicky.

Buy the TV for the display and display alone :)

Great Thread. I was convinced on the Samsung... Was sold off on the DLNA and the movie play back on the 6 series, and now wondering whether Philips is the dealmaker!

I remember seeing philips on display at the showroom.. Looks odd ( round edges). Not a classy finish. But then... Picture quality is key.

THanks everyone for the feedbacks. Should buy a philips 5609 very soon.

blr_p said:
No HDTV has bad sound, they are all more or less similar, its just that LG jazz had to compensate for an interior display and this is used as a selling point but only for the uninformed.

Therefore the biggest use currently in this country for a full HDTV is for games & movies. To really enjoy them you would want to add a HT sound system. After all you bought the TV to enjoy the picture quality so why skimp on the sound. It's true that cable sound is not great but in this case you'd have the sound system connected anyway.

This is why i thought better sound on the TV is pointless, its going to get replaced by a more capable sound system anyway.

Not really. The speakers in my Philips are atleast as good as an MX5021 if not better. Infact I'd go on to say its probably better. I have a pair of Proac Tablette bookshelves and a Musical Fidelity A100 amp connected to it and to tell you the truth, with normal cable TV, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. The thing that TV speakers must do correctly is mid range and reasonable treble. The mid range on these tv speakers is spot on. No shrillness or harshness.

With hi def, the difference is obvious but for normal TV, I couldn't be bothered to turn on the amp. Also the LG Jazz or whatever sounds like rubbish. All it has is bloated unnatural bass.

Chaos said:
Not really. The speakers in my Philips are atleast as good as an MX5021 if not better. Infact I'd go on to say its probably better. I have a pair of Proac Tablette bookshelves and a Musical Fidelity A100 amp connected to it and to tell you the truth, with normal cable TV, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference.
You don' notice the lower bass with the TV alone ?

Chaos said:
The thing that TV speakers must do correctly is mid range and reasonable treble. The mid range on these tv speakers is spot on. No shrillness or harshness.

With hi def, the difference is obvious but for normal TV, I couldn't be bothered to turn on the amp.
What if you listen when others are talking in the room, will the extra bass help comprehension whilst keeping the volume low ?
Could be news or sports commentary.

Chaos said:
Also the LG Jazz or whatever sounds like rubbish. All it has is bloated unnatural bass.
Ouch! another strike for the jazz.

Chaos said:

hunt3r I'd suggest you head to that Reliance Digital close to your place and look at the TVs in person. Finally its your preferences that matter. Some folks prefer pure contrast, some prefer color accuracy, some may prefer something else.

I dont really have any preferences, as you know i can barely make the out the difference between your IPS and my TN panel :p

Im just looking for a good TV that scores reasonably well in all aspects and preferably is VFM as well. Will be buying from singapore and getting it here. I'll try and check out some TV's here though.

BTW how are the Panasonics guys? The Panasonic 32LX10 is going for 549 SGD. The samsung B450 and Sony EX300 are also going for around 600 SGD. Theres a Toshiba Regza CV600 for 500 SGD. Havent been able to find out the prices of other models but when i find out ill update the thread

Edit: And how are the Toshiba TV's, just saw one deal for now tho, Hitachi L32NO3A for $599 with free 7" Digital Photo Frame & HDMI cable

Getting fro sg is risky. If the panel breaks in transit you are screwed. I know of just too many folks who have had transit damage.

blr_p said:
You don' notice the lower bass with the TV alone ?

What if you listen when others are talking in the room, will the extra bass help comprehension whilst keeping the volume low ?
Could be news or sports commentary.
Ouch! another strike for the jazz.

Bass ain't an issue at all. In fact there was too much bass with default settings. I had to tone it down a bit.

Chaos said:
Getting fro sg is risky. If the panel breaks in transit you are screwed. I know of just too many folks who have had transit damage.

True, it is risky but ill try and take as much precautions as possible. Ps any idea how the Panasonics and Toshiba/Hitachi TV's are?

Also my viewing distance is about 6 feet upto about 10 feet. In this case which is preferable, Full HD or HD ready? Main use is going to be watching Tata Sky though

Ok, i got the 42" lg jazz theatre, the sound is amazing, no need for a home theatre :)
As for speech, you tone down the bass OR there's this amazing "clear voice" feature which you can use.. I had no problem with listening to speech on default settings, but when i turned on clear voice at 3, it was a new level of clarity..

The sound on the tv is amazing, really brings a new dimension to tv watchin..
Mp3 play back is as very good too, switch off the screen and no one can tell its a tv playin such amazing sound..and i dont just mean the bass.Audio quality is subjective, but this is perfect for me..will be a while before i get bored of this tv!

The quality on normal tv 350mb episodes is amazing..the video is upscaled very well, the 700mb rips dont look that good, i mean good for the size, but no where near the ep's, i guess i need to download higher bitrate movies... The marginally higher bitrate on the episodes makes a big difference..

Now i need a hd media player, but that will come later ;-)

Btb, the bezel looks amazing, makes the tv looks very classy..

On a further note, i'm yet to settle on a display profile, if anyone has this tv or seen it, give some suggestions, i prefer lower contrast..but brighter picture..

And i was told the the blacks arent great, and yeah they arent, but they are okish, in 1080p they do get almost as good as the sony, and normally just a shade behind sony..not a deal breaker wat so ever, but could have been better..!

Someone /experts, please pay some attention here :-

It seems a general thread of LCD discussion, So I put my query here...After reading this thread Top-to-Bottom & one started by hector19 (LCD/LED/Plasma),

I decided my self to go for a Samsung 5 series 40" LCD, As many fellow member suggested that this series VFM/Best Bang for Buck with Samsumg reliability.

Today I visit two shop & one brand store name NEXT (which is worthless & they don't want to give the price) & got the quote.

So the price is like this (incl all)

LA40B550K1R -->52857/-
LA40B530P7R -->48452/-
LA40B650T1R -->66500/- <--This one from 6 series though.

I was looking for B530 though but after getting the price of B550 I'm quite bend towards it. As my budget 55-57k, it can happily accommodate.
Booking amount is 5k and can be deliver within 2-3days.

Now my question is:- After visiting Samsung's Website Compare product Section,

I found

Set Size(without stand) :- 40B530 WxHxD :: 998.0x638.0x79.3mm
40B550 WxHxD :: 982.4x626.3x78.6mm

As it clearly stated that WxH of 40B550 is smaller than 40B530, Is it compromise the visible screen area ? or Just Bezel of the set is slicker ?

I didn't found demo set in this following model, So please any expert throw some light will be very helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks adder for ur reply....

Such a relief, then I will go for 40B550 model

Yes, me too hard in this forum, but asking the shop owner he can't confirm any gift...he also assure if manufacture bundle anything he will happily convey to me.

Hope I can bundle 1 HDMI cable with it as gift ,then it sufficient for me,.

In my place Samsung Flagship Store at City Center bundling the SUN HD,Because SUN HD STB made by Samsung (Correct me).

SUN HD cost almost 10K (STB+Installation+Basic Pack+HD Pack with 1year subscription),

As of now I decided...
Tomorrow....If I get time will visit City Center & E-Zone for see the set in display,else I will be finalizing the deal at Sunday morning with my local dealer.

Back