Raspberry Pi

By the time its becomes widely available .. there will be much better alternatives available.

PandaBoard

BeagleBoard xm

Cotton Candy

. .these cost more but the performance is well worth it if you're looking for a fixed usage.

^^ Yeah... but having a naked Pi is like tech p0rn0graphy...
<

<

did anyone here who registered their interest beforehand on their blog get a email informing them that it was going on sale? i'd registered but didnt get any email and only came to know now that it went on sale (and as expected sold out quickly). their communication
<

reminds me a bit of notion ink adam. an innovative product that has people all excited, a release date that kept getting pushed, and then a first order that wasnt particularly well conducted. now will have to wait, who knows how long. dont want to pay and then wait for months..

Me too didn't get no mail....

But hey they've come out with an apology and all...

Plus manufacturing(apart from distributing) arrangements with Farnell and RS Components...so maybe we won't have to wait too long,after all.

I had pre-ordered it on element14. The CC told the deliveries will be done by March end.

They are charging Rs. 200 for shipping and Rs. 117 VAT, the total price comes up to Rs. 2667
<

Did you order it on the Element14 site or the Kits and Spares site?
I had pre-ordered it on element14. The CC told the deliveries will be done by March end.

They are charging Rs. 200 for shipping and Rs. 117 VAT, the total price comes up to Rs. 2667
<

It’s inevitable, isn’t it – you’re freewheeling along perfectly happily and then you get a puncture.

As you’ll have noticed, there’s been a bit of a delay in shipping the first batch of Raspberry Pis out to people. This is because of a hardware parts substitution that was made in the factory by accident: specifically, where we’d specified jacks with integrated magnetics in the BOM and schematics, the factory soldered in non-magnetic jacks. No magnets means no network connection. We’ve known about this for four days now, but we haven’t been able to tell you about it because it meant we had to do some further tests to make sure that nothing else was affected.

[font=Georgia, serif]

An illustration of where the factory went wrong - one of these jacks has integrated magnetics and the other doesn't. Which do you think is which? (I'll leave the answer in the comments later when you've had a chance to guess. Don't be misled into thinking there's information in the colour of the connectors.) It's actually very hard to tell unless you look at the insides of the part, either by doing what Gordon did and using pliers to take it apart when he realised something was wrong ("tin opener method") or...
[/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]

…by taking an X-ray. The jacks in this image are not necessarily in the same order as the ones in the spot-the-difference image above - I'm not making it that easy for you!
[/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]

This is a side view of the sort of jack we didn't want on the board. Pete Lomas, who designed the Raspberry Pi hardware, unmounted this jack from one of the boards we got back from the factory and X-rayed it for us.
[/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]

This jack has integrated magnetics. You can see from the X-ray that it looks very different internally from the non-magnetic version above.
[/font]

Happily, it’s a very minor problem to fix (desolder the dud jack/solder on a new one), and the factory is nearly done working on replacing them on the first set of boards. This means that the first tranche of boards should still go out to customers as we were expecting. There may now be a slight delay in later batches if there’s a problem sourcing enough magnetic jacks (we’ve got teams hunting them down already); all the stock of jacks we believed we had in place and ready to turn into the ethernet ports on your Raspberry Pis turn out not to be the correct part, so we’re having to start again and move through the negotiating/ordering/delivery cycle as fast as we can. Our partners at Element 14/Premier Farnell and RS Components are working hard to help us cater for this, and to expedite supply of the Raspberry Pi.

We are very, very sorry. We know you want your Raspberry Pi as soon as possible (and many of you are being inhumanly patient, having followed us since we launched this website eight months ago). We’ll keep you updated with how manufacture is moving; this is, in the scheme of things, a minor problem, but it’s still a bump in the road and we know that we rely on your goodwill to keep things moving forward.

Link : http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

And some useful stuff : http://www.designspark.com/files/ds/supporting_materials/Raspberry%20Pi%20Start%20Guide.pdf

Raspberry Pi hit another snag in distribution this week, though the company seems optimistic that shipments of its long-awaited Linux PC won't be dramatically affected. The issue centers around two companies -- RS Components and element14/Premier Farnell -- that have confirmed they won't distribute the device until it's been anointed with the CE label. Raspberry Pi had previously argued that its PC is not a "finished end product," and that it, like Beagleboard, could therefore be distributed without the CE mark. Its distributors, however, disagreed. As a result, the team is working to get their computers CE-compliant "as soon as humanly possible," and are already pretty confident that they'll meet category A, and perhaps even category B requirements. They're also working closely with the UK's Department for Business, Innovation and Skills to better understand the standards to which non-CE products like Beagleboard are held. No word yet on when RS and Farnell might issue a verdict, but the Raspberry Pi Foundation says it'll let us know as soon as they do.

I dont want to see any god damn certifictation send me on over already.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/29/raspberry-pi-ce-certification-mark-linux/

Today got a call from Bangalore ,they asked where do i work and whether its for company's purpose or personal.. I said its for personal use..

I asked them about the probable delivery date, they said it's still under compliance testing ,after that they start mass production deliveries might start end of the next month..

While at the Raspberry.org FCC/CE testings were done, Paperwork is balance..

Bit-Tech UK reviews Model B.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Simply put, the Pi is a marvel: there's nothing else on the planet which offers the same capabilities for an equal price. In terms of bang-for-your-buck, the Pi is nothing short of astounding - but that doesn't mean it's perfect.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 256MB of RAM could prove limiting for some users, especially those hoping to use the VideoCore IV GPU for high-definition 3D rendering. The beta-level quality of the software could also prove awkward for end-users who perhaps thought they were buying something which would be ready to use out-of-the-box.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Professional users, too, may be disappointed by the Pi thanks to a lack of JTAG debugging support. A common feature of rival development boards, it's easy to overlook its absence thanks to the Pi's price - some one-quarter to one-tenth that of its rivals - but something which may still slow down professional adoption of the device.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Despite its limitations, we're happy to say that the Pi is a recommended buy - as soon as pre-orders are satisfied and stock starts to appear in the channel, of course. For less than the cost of a new-release game, you get a device which - while imperfect - has so much potential it's hard to imagine why anyone with an interest in technology wouldn't buy one.[/font]

Will grab a unit once the software has been improved.

Back