Storage Solutions Western Digital Issues, RMA problems, Service deficiency Thread.

Booked the RMA on 11-12-12 for my 2 TB My Passport Drive, which went bad in a week of getting it, they where supposed to schedule the pick up on 17th Dec which didn't happen (as expected) .
Finally some one from Felxtronics came yesterday and picked up the faulty drive, now waiting for the replacement.

Within 30 days of buying, seller replaces without need for RMA

My drive was scheduled to be picked up on 25th, but was finally picked up yesterday; after one reminder.

which city u are from and which courier service picked up. did u call the courier or WD as a reminder. how much time has WD given to you for a replacement or repairing

what does this mean

The remaining warranty from the original defective drive will be applied to the replacement drive. The replacement drive will have a minimum warranty of 90 days from date of shipment.

if the original WD drive has a warranty of 3 years say upto end of 2015 will it be applicable to the replacement drive. and whats this 90 days minimum warranty. after 90 days if the HD goes dead then what happens to warranty valid till 2015

^ You will have a "minimum" of 90 days to a maximum of whatever your old warranty was i.e if you have 1 day of warranty left it gets bumped up to 90 days, and if you have warranty till end of 2015 it will go on till the end of 2015.

zero fill through gparted resulted in increase in bad sectors, initiated RMA on 10 feb, pickup date is 16 feb, lets see how it goes.

want to share my friends experience with wd RMA-
-he received 1tb green drive in return of 500gb green drive in one week(advance delivery)
-the new drive developed bad sectors in just 2 weeks,and system became unstable, then he created another RMA request.
-new drive was 1.5tb also in advance(don't know what edition), the packaging was intact but the hard drive was wet, and some white stuff(maybe the insulation) was coming out the back side, he rejected it, and after some heated arguments with the cc, now he is getting 2tb blue drive.
so guys, open your replaced drive, if you are getting it in advance before accepting it.

^ You will have a "minimum" of 90 days to a maximum of whatever your old warranty was i.e if you have 1 day of warranty left it gets bumped up to 90 days, and if you have warranty till end of 2015 it will go on till the end of 2015.

If your original drive had only 30 days warranty left, the 90 day warranty on your new drive will be applicable, essentially what this means is, original drive warranty or 90 days, whichever is higher.

Now about my drive experience, after the initial non picks ups and some shouting, they delivered a drive, and I returned the old drive to the delivery man, turned out it was the wrong model, same 500GB but a different model, called them back said I want my model only and not same 500GB as the performance profile of the drive they gave was inferior to the one I had bought. (5400 RPM notebook drive WD5000LVPT), and if 500 GB is 500GB then why not give me a Scorpio Black - response, they will to back to me.

A few days later, I call them, my model not available, all efforts to convince me to take other model, I say not interested either money back or Scorpio Black, they gave me a Scorpio Black model No. and asked if that was ok, I said yes, Next day I got it, returned the wrong replacement to the courier man.

I got upgraded to 7200 rpm drive :yahoo:

Got My 1TB WD Green RMAed recently and got a 1.5TB WD Green drive as replacement. Even though replacement was quick but the RMA Process was not smooth, I had called up on the 15th Feb and they scheduled a pickup for 18th feb but noone came for pickup on that day neither till 21st, this even after calling them up repeatedly and they assuring that the matter has been escalted:| On 22nd I personally went to the drop point location(Opera House) and there the person incharge told me that its good that you came down here and didn't wait longer for them since noone is going to come to pickup and it will only result in more delays:annoyed: Thankfully the replacement was quick and I got the drive on 26th:)

TIP: Those who are going to drop point locations just need to carry the drive with them,no packaging watsoever, since even if you have packed it well they will tear apart right there infront of you, like it happened in my case:p

Not smooth, but not bad either. Pickup was scheduled for 25th Jan, no one turned up. Send a follow up mail and the drive was collected a week later. Received my replacement drive on 25th Feb. All in all, its okay I guess since I didnt have to sweat it out for it, compared to other service centers.
@knoughtyd Haha, I just wrapped my disk in some bubble wrap when the Fedex guys arrived to pick it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
AsidXxx Being my first RMA experience, I was being extra cautious:ashamed: and had packed it pretty well inside a box with bubble wrap and tapes all around etc... but to see it all being torn apart right infront of me at the drop point was :facepalm:

Just my luck, I had submitted the RMA request on 25th Feb and got the pickup date as 4th March. I had given my Home address as the RMA shipping address, and in the pickup location, I had given my office address/landmark with my mobile number(cos that is where I am during the day!), and I just got a call from home telling me the courier guy is there to pickup the HDD :facepalm:

Now WD hotline tells me they will "escalate" this issue and the HDD will get picked up from my home address in 3 working days. I got lucky the first time that the pickup actually came on the scheduled date, now the question is do I wait for them to pick it up again or do I haul my a** to Opera house and submit it myself?

I would suggest , if the WD drop point is near your place, drop it off there, if not,then pack it and courier it WD RMA ,courier will hardly cost more than 150 bucks.
Do not opt for drive pickup, its a stupid waste of time.

I would suggest , if the WD drop point is near your place, drop it off there, if not,then pack it and courier it WD RMA ,courier will hardly cost more than 150 bucks.
Do not opt for drive pickup, its a stupid waste of time.

My office is at Worli, so the WD drop point at Opera house is not too far off, guess I will have to skip lunch tomorrow and submit this with WD myself.

Update: I did not drop the HDD at the drop point, decided to wait a couple of days because of work schedule. So I called WD and told them I would drop off the HDD at the drop point on Friday 8th March, but guess what I got a call again on 6th March for pickup from Fedex. There is no co-ordination between WD and their couriers; so it was picked up on 7th and delivered directly to Bangalore on 9th.

The status as I checked it now on 11th afternoon is that my HDD is received and they have shipped a replacement HDD today itself! From the model number, I can see it is a 1.5TB Green instead of my 1TB green. Hopefully this one will last longer than the previous one.

created RMA for 320gb external passport hdd on 5th march (WDBAAR3200ABK-PESN) due to poor performance (poor R/W).
Courier it to Bangalore on 6th march.
Received & BOOKED by WD on 9th March. lets see what happens.
I bought this drive from Malaysia.When i checked on WD india website luckily it was in warranty (till 05/2013).

finally I got my 1 TB WD green almost after 2 months ...No more WD from now , I would better off with toshiba Hopefully from next time . It's a peculiar habit of WD to RMA my drive after 1 month , Seagate was good but their certified repaired Hdd creates heck of problem

my experience with wd has been good !!!
have Rma three hdd and making a total of 5 times Rma in all !!!!
yea they are not accurate in terms of pickup but after pick up 4 times i got replacement with in 10 days and 1 time it took like 17 - 18 days :/
but i always got extra gb's for that wait later on ;)
for 160gb blue - i was offer a 250gb blue :D
for 500gb green - i was offer a 750 gb blue :D
I don't think now for such extra gb's we cant wait for one week more :p

i got a 500gb caviar blue on 10th Mar(13 days ago)...now the BIOS detects it but it isnt able to boot from it.
I dont know whats wrong with it but it gives some kind of a scratching sound every 6 seconds(kind of sounds like someone is on the ventilator in a hospital).
So what do i need to do? I live in Navi Mumbai, work in Mumbai. Should i call up the pickup guys or go drop it myself?

Also whats up with the 30 days replacement thing? I got it from a run of the mill computer shop. Am I entitled to get a replacement from him?

Back