Storage Solutions Western Digital Issues, RMA problems, Service deficiency Thread.

I got screwed then :/

Because i haven't wrote Rma no. on out site if the box :/

i wrote the product no. and name :p

got shocked after seeing the courier guy on door after 5 days of what i expected .

^^ True That..After sending my Portable 1 Tb for RMA I received my New HD in 1 week.

Sending the second one today...These WD HD are failing one after the other.

They never give us the direct number to contact them, because WD is not an small company. Try to contact on there Toll free no. 1800 200 5789 and one time you will definitely connect.

Well, they had a 011 number for Delhi. I figured they might have a 022 number for Mumbai. Generally companies have a toll free and a landline number. Getting through to 1800 numbers from a cell phone is a task. Oh well.

It's been 7 days since creating a RMA request on WD site. Nobody has turned up till date to pick-up my faulty WD HDD. Scheduled pick-up date was 26th July. WTF is going on? :|

What am I supposed to do now? Someone please guide me. I'm from Pune.

I have this 5000BEVT 2.5" internal drive and was giving some random clicking/disconnectivity issues. Haven't had the guts to run HD Tune/HD Tach on it yet since it has some backups of snaps, photos, medias and the likes. :ashamed:

Checked the warranty online and it showed the expiry in July 2015! The drive was purchased in 2010. I hope that was right!

Will RMA it after I do a backup!

iChaitanya , drop it at your nearest AFL courier branch
Done. HDD reached Bangalore on 4th Aug. No updates till now!

I have this 5000BEVT 2.5" internal drive and was giving some random clicking/disconnectivity issues. Haven't had the guts to run HD Tune/HD Tach on it yet since it has some backups of snaps, photos, medias and the likes. :ashamed:

Checked the warranty online and it showed the expiry in July 2015! The drive was purchased in 2010. I hope that was right!

Will RMA it after I do a backup!
Well, earlier these drives used to come with a 5yr warranty. I'm guessing that's the case here.

In my every WD RMA case, they deliver the replacement drive within 10-15 days in advance. Faulty drive usually picked up after a month or later.

My experience with WD RMA has been pretty good till now, i have got the replacement drives within 7 to 14 days. Both the times i did RMA i got higher capacity drives in return. So i am very happy with the service. Though their failure rate is high, but it gets covered by their door pickup service.

You guys are lucky. At least the pick-up guys turn up at your doorsteps. I called WD. They gave me the no. of AFL Mumbai. When I called AFL Mumbai, they told me that we have stopped the HDD pick-up service and you'll personally have to visit the nearest AFL branch to deposit your faulty HDD. :|

I'll call them today to inquire about my RMA status. It's stuck at "BOOKED".

My 320 GB drive went bad so did a RMA on 18/07/12 sent the drive to them on 24th, they received it on 26th, till date i have not received any replacement drive. This is the new drive they sent me last time when RMAed , drive did not even last 7 months .

Earlier this month, my Caviar Blue 500GB started giving trouble with exceptionally slow speeds and later on I discovered loads of bad sectors. I spent the next few days agonizingly moving most of my sensitive data of that HDD at 0.5 ~ 2mb/sec and in the meantime I called Western Digital Support on 10th, to my surprise they gave me a pickup date of 19th (!!!!). A full 9 days later. Anyways I couldn't think of a better option and I didn't want to spend money on shipping it myself so I agreed.

On 19th, no one showed up. 20th being saturday no one handled my call and so I waited till monday. Monday (21st) I called up support and they told me they had an error with my address and that they'll pick it up on Saturday (27th) now. I lost it. I fired the poor technical support rep and he said he'd escalate my case and that I'd get a call from someone senior in the next one hour. An hour later I got a call from Abhay Kumar (Floor Supervisor - WD Bangalore) and he assured me that whatever happens he'll have everything sorted out by this saturday. Having no other option, I agreed.

Next, I got a call on Wednesday next and I was assured that AFL would come pick up the hard drive that evening. No one showed up again. I called Technical Support again on Thursday and he told me that everything will still get fixed on Saturday and that they've already shipped a replacement hard drive to my address without confirmation of the last hard drive. I was temporarily impressed until the shipment tracking number for the new drive turned out to be false :facepalm:. Anyways I decided to let it go for then.

Finally on Saturday (28th), I got a call saying that AFLs coming to collect my drive. Which they did but with no replacement. Anyways, I finally got the replacement on today (Monday-30th) and it seems to be working good. The replacement hard drive looks brand new and has double the cache of the previous drive. Overall disappointing experience but escalating the call to a floor supervisor really helped. I was quite surprised that they had already shipped me a replacement without even receiving my old harddrive after that and I'm pretty sure it saved me atleast a week of pointless delays and stalling. I also recommend you guys immediately register a case as soon as your hard drive gives trouble rather than waste a few days moving data, then calling technical support and then having to wait more time for the drive to be picked up.

TL: DR - Called service on 10th. WD wasted time picking up the hard drive. I had the case escalated and was assured a replacement by 28th. Old Hard drive picked up on 28th and new hard drive received on 30th. Disappointing service but escalating the case helped hurry it up.

In my every WD RMA case, they deliver the replacement drive within 10-15 days in advance. Faulty drive usually picked up after a month or later.
Does this still hold true? When was the last time this was observed? I wanted to try and "restore" data from faulty drive (from my NAS) to new drive.

My experience with WD RMA has been pretty good till now, i have got the replacement drives within 7 to 14 days. Both the times i did RMA i got higher capacity drives in return. So i am very happy with the service. Though their failure rate is high, but it gets covered by their door pickup service.
How many times did you do this? And when was the last time you got the replacement drive ahead of time?

For the NEW REPLACEMENT before the old one is picked up, whats the best way to lodge an RMA? Online? Email? Phone?

You guys are lucky. At least the pick-up guys turn up at your doorsteps. I called WD. They gave me the no. of AFL Mumbai. When I called AFL Mumbai, they told me that we have stopped the HDD pick-up service and you'll personally have to visit the nearest AFL branch to deposit your faulty HDD. :|

I'll call them today to inquire about my RMA status. It's stuck at "BOOKED".
Does this still hold true in Mumbai? Do I get the replacement before I have to go drop in the old one?

Last one was couple of months back, where i bought a WD 500gb Black, here on TE itself and it was DOA, post which i filed RMA, in return i got a 1tb WD black. Took 14 days to get the replacement drive.

Just gave a drive for RMA. the courier guy was to pick it up on thursday but picked it up on wednesday.
and it was not AFL, it was FEDEX.
shipping is by overnight express as shown on the fedex tracking site :)
lets see how it goes

Back