Storage Solutions Western Digital Issues, RMA problems, Service deficiency Thread.

Shripad

ex-Mod
Hey guys.

As discussed in the other thread, I am starting this for all Hard Disk Drive manufacturers.

This one is for Western Digital.

WD Social networking handles :-

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/westerndigitalindia

Twitter : http://twitter.com/WD_IN

After having 2 nightmarish experiences with HDD RMA, I really do feel we need this thread on one of the most popular community forums in India.

The aim of this thread is to have most of the complaints regarding delays in RMA / replacement / poor service experiences in one place.

I will mail this link to Manufacturer and also to couple of customer care reps I know.

What to Post here.

1. If you had a bad experience with RMA, post precise details including HDD model, RMA number, date of RMA, time taken, delays, incorrect information given to you if any etc.

2. Problems with customer care helpline? Date and time of the call, and if possible Name of the representative. In the future, when you make the call, first ask for the name of the rep.

3. Multiple / consistent problem with certain model? Post the details and experience here.

What not to post here

1. No need to post how good your experience was with WD RMA. We all know that most of the time everything goes right. This thread is for when it does not.

2. Avoid long debates and conversations here. This is mainly to ensure that your problems are in public to be seen by everyone and to be indexed on the web. Pointless debates, discussion here in this thread will not help.

I will get the ball rolling with my recent experiences soon when I get the time to post details about the same.

Let me start of with the RMA nos:

Time taken to Pick-up the Drives: 15 days

As per my commn with their senior person Mr.Alam, I was told that I will receive the drive 2 days after they receive my faulty ones. But still waiting for the drives. Its been around 20 - 25 days but still no status of the Drive. Whenever I give a call to their customer care I get th same response "The Drives will be Dispatched by today evening". But still never received the drives.

I have also dropped a mail to them stating "I dont want the drives back anymore, I just want the refund." But still no response even through mail.

I am going to send the drives the same day I will receive from their end. And lets see what happens later.

Note for ALL: If u r planning to buy HDD, dont even think of WD..Their after sales service is really pathetic.

Same experience with me. Haven't yet recieved my 1TB Green for which RMA was registered a month back, but pickup was done just a few days back. And no signs of them sending back yet ..

I will really recommend people - [DO NOT BUY WD, Their service sucks.

I had put a 500 GB green for sale in the market, sold it to Roxtin but the drive failed to wrk at his place so i returned the cash.

Surprisingly the HDD had stopped working but since that time i have been calling the toll free number and never been able to get through .

The number is always busy . The HDD is still lying arnd at my place. I regret ever making the jump to WD, Seagate ftw

^ Yeah the number is always busy . Have been trying to get through since a week now . Have sent a WD 1TB Green (WD10EADS-00L5B1) drive for RMA. Drive was picked up on 25/26th June . No update since then :(

RMA No : 81998893

So much for the WD onsite warranty :mad:
Its excellent in theory, but poor in practise

As others said, that damn number is always busy, you get tired calling them

Rather, i will make a trip to Accel frontline and submit the disk and atleast be sure i get the HDD in a week or so

This is insane, not getting a replacement for 30-40 days. Imagine people having 1 HDD for their primary use. They will be left with no option but to get a spare drive, since they cant afford to miss their workstation for a months time

Either WD get a new outsourcing vendor or forget their business in India

Bah!

Both my RMAed 2TB EARS drives are dead. One is not getting recognized, other is growing unstable sector count at the rate of 10 a day.

Shripad said:
Bah!

Both my RMAed 2TB EARS drives are dead. One is not getting recognized, other is growing unstable sector count at the rate of 10 a day.
These were new HDD's (against RMA) or repaired HDD's like Seagate...

This wd green series is a big pain in the a##. I had sold arnd 8 seagate hdds away and now I regret that decision.
Another. 1 tb green which was runnin the os failed today evening and since I had sold all the older hdds, I have no option left other than get a barracuda tomoro and pray for wd guys to answer my phone. Now I have 2 dead green drives and suffering from crappy gprs browsing for the past 3 hrs.
It is now officially easier to call pan parag complaint cell than getting through to these so called mnc's.

I am never again buying WD in my life ... after my HDD, now my friend's 1TB Green has failed ... n hez blaming me coz he bought it on my recommendation :mad:

Damn, WD should be pulled to the Consumer Court and be forced to give every failed drive a 100% refund at purchase price, nt current market price ..

Damn .. the 1TB which i gt as replacement went bad again .. now gain 1 month of waiting time :(

Ain't there any authority where i can complain against these buggers ...

I am planning to RMA my 1.5 year old 500 GB WD Green. Already got an RMA number. Unable to call the toll free number to schedule pick up. Is there any place in Mumbai where I can drop off the drive the way I did with Seagate at Accel Frontline?

Actually in my case my drive is working perfectly since day one. However, from the beginning it had a read error in SMART so I am just a bit apprehensive. But reading so many horror stories here, I am not sure it is advisable.

The icing for this one is that I have a 5 years warranty so my replacement after RMA will have a longer warranty than a brand new one.

Back