Storage Solutions Western Digital Issues, RMA problems, Service deficiency Thread.

Emil said:
I am planning to RMA my 1.5 year old 500 GB WD Green. Already got an RMA number. Unable to call the toll free number to schedule pick up. Is there any place in Mumbai where I can drop off the drive the way I did with Seagate at Accel Frontline?

Actually in my case my drive is working perfectly since day one. However, from the beginning it had a read error in SMART so I am just a bit apprehensive. But reading so many horror stories here, I am not sure it is advisable.

The icing for this one is that I have a 5 years warranty so my replacement after RMA will have a longer warranty than a brand new one.
Doesnt work that way. New HDD will have only remaining warranty of original drive i believe. Thats how seagate works. WD any diff?

Emil said:
I am planning to RMA my 1.5 year old 500 GB WD Green. Already got an RMA number. Unable to call the toll free number to schedule pick up. Is there any place in Mumbai where I can drop off the drive the way I did with Seagate at Accel Frontline?
Pack it and drop off at a Bludart centre near you. You need not pay courier charges.
Last time i had to RMA, i was promised everyday that pickup will be done ... but it never happened. So did it this way.

Sorry this may be OT because the OP said to post only bad experiences. But since I already posted in this thread my uncertainties, here is a bit of news.

I created an RMA on Aug 19th (Thursday). I tried calling them but couldn't get anything but an engaged tone. So I sent off an email telling them I was unable to contact them on the toll free number. Same story Friday morning. I continued to try the phone but unsuccessful.

At 10:52 AM Friday I got a call from GATI saying they were coming home to pick up the parcel. I told them I was not at home so could they come the next day. They said they would call and come on Saturday.

Friday evening I got a call from home asking if I had called Bluedart to pick up something to courier. I said no but let me speak to the pick up guy. I told him I had not called but could it be Western Digital. He said Yes it could be because they do have some tieup with them. I told him I had received a call from GATI that morning for the same thing. He said WD has understandings with both of them. I told him I had to pack it and could only give it the next day. He said fine he would come the next evening.

Friday night I packed the drive and kept it ready and waited the whole of Saturday for either GATI or Bluedart to pickup. Nothing till 5 PM.

At about 5:30 PM someone came from Aramex and he had the correct reference of WD with him. He picked up the drive and it is being delivered to WD even as I write this.

So within a short span of time, I had 3 different pickups arranged by WD. Good treatment. :)

@techie_007 - Regarding the warranty, my original warranty was for 5 years i.e. till 2014. So when I get a HDD back through RMA, my warranty will still be till 2014 which is better than buying a new WD HDD today. That is what I meant.

Emil said:
Sorry this may be OT because the OP said to post only bad experiences. But since I already posted in this thread my uncertainties, here is a bit of news.

I created an RMA on Aug 19th (Thursday). I tried calling them but couldn't get anything but an engaged tone. So I sent off an email telling them I was unable to contact them on the toll free number. Same story Friday morning. I continued to try the phone but unsuccessful.

At 10:52 AM Friday I got a call from GATI saying they were coming home to pick up the parcel. I told them I was not at home so could they come the next day. They said they would call and come on Saturday.

Friday evening I got a call from home asking if I had called Bluedart to pick up something to courier. I said no but let me speak to the pick up guy. I told him I had not called but could it be Western Digital. He said Yes it could be because they do have some tieup with them. I told him I had received a call from GATI that morning for the same thing. He said WD has understandings with both of them. I told him I had to pack it and could only give it the next day. He said fine he would come the next evening.

Friday night I packed the drive and kept it ready and waited the whole of Saturday for either GATI or Bluedart to pickup. Nothing till 5 PM.

At about 5:30 PM someone came from Aramex and he had the correct reference of WD with him. He picked up the drive and it is being delivered to WD even as I write this.

So within a short span of time, I had 3 different pickups arranged by WD. Good treatment. :)

@techie_007 - Regarding the warranty, my original warranty was for 5 years i.e. till 2014. So when I get a HDD back through RMA, my warranty will still be till 2014 which is better than buying a new WD HDD today. That is what I meant.
Agreed

WD have tie up with all three.My oldest experience was with blue dart and last one Gati picked up and aramex delivered it.

I launched a RMA for a 1TB green drive on 22nd July, was picked up on 24th July and delivered to them on 26th July.

On 13th August I received a non functioning 250gb passport drive which looked like it had been chewed up by a dog. I told WD about the incident, they picked up the passport drive on the 17th and was delivered to them on the 19th of August.. but still no word on the replacement of my 1TB drive.

MAGNeT said:
Agreed

WD have tie up with all three.My oldest experience was with blue dart and last one Gati picked up and aramex delivered it.
that's odd. I was told by the cc ( i guess only one person is working there attending calls, since she was constantly keeping me on hold for 2 minutes, every alternate 2 minutes :S ) that the company that they have tie-ups with does not deliver to my place. If they have tie-up with BlueDart / Gati/ Aramex or DTDC then all of these have a center for booking/ delivery near the railway station in my place. All that money spent on dtdc air. I should have sent by normal surface shipping. Btw, site still says they are waiting for product when dtdc site says it was delivered more than a week ago. odd. wonder if they even care to update the status of rma.

Just tried calling WD to check wether their next week promise holds true.

I was listening to the please hold automated tune for an hour.

No word on the replacement of my 500GB 2.5" internal drive either. Had sent it to RT Outsourcing, New Delhi almost 10 days back through DTDC and upon checking the status, it says drive not received. WTF? :\

EDIT: 6pack shares the same state of sad affairs as I do.

Yup... thats also my status in web.

last time when i called they said they are facing technical difficulties.

When i called on friday there one guy called samrat told me that my drive was dispatched on friday and i would get it on monday ,but today when i call they say my drive would be dispatched today only.

A couple of months back I bought a WD 320GB blue drive for my cousin which was DOA. I tried calling their customer care number to RMA the drive, which was always busy. I was able to get to a rep on day two after a lot of attempts, only to find that the call landed in the wrong department. The rep forwarded to RMA department, but no body answered the call. Then I tried again for another day and gave up calling them.

Finally I talked with the dealer from where I bought the drive. He replaced it with a new one, as its DOA.

WD customer care is pathetic. I will think twice before buying another WD drive.

techie_007 said:
Doesnt work that way. New HDD will have only remaining warranty of original drive i believe. Thats how seagate works. WD any diff?
AFAIK most companies have the same policy. Warranty is for the remaining period and not for 5 more years. It must be the same with WD.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

gokufan said:
tollfree-18002005789
I called the same number.

gokufan said:
I had to wait 10 minutes before they picked up the phone,Mostly they are free around 3-4pm
I tried calling at that time also.

I am on their call..

i am listening to their.. thank for for calling.. our support agents are attending to call.. please wait...

lets see how long before i cut. :S

m-jeri said:
I am on their call..

i am listening to their.. thank for for calling.. our support agents are attending to call.. please wait...

lets see how long before i cut. :S
It was the same in my case. Even after waiting for a long time nobody answers the call.

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

I think i am going to crack... still listening to that drone.

yea.. i cracked...14 minutes

I tried again... got them...

they said they are near to dispatch the HDD.. i can expect it this weekend.. lets see...

m-jeri said:
I think i am going to crack... still listening to that drone.

yea.. i cracked...14 minutes

I tried again... got them...

they said they are near to dispatch the HDD.. i can expect it this weekend.. lets see...
I am hearing the same for a week,earlier when rt outsourcesing was involved a guy called ravi sharma was helpful and a call to him made your hdd come faster

My hdd was picked up by RT outsourcing from my home last wednesday, till now there is no update on the website and it says waiting for the product.

Back