The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Discussion Thread

Witcher 1 had pretty taxing graphics for its time. My 8800GT could barely keep up in highest settings.

I am not saying that the game lacked eye-candy at that time. But in terms of relative speak they were using an archaic BIOWARE developed Aurora Engine heavily modified to use Dx 9.0c properties. The character models themselves were much more simplistic and details were baked in OR were simple textures, whilst with the in-house RED Engine they have taken the graphics to a new über-level giving Dx 11 enabled titles a run for their money.

It is all relative to the pixel's in use then and now [pun intended].

Okay @ALPHA17 and others, I just received my copy of Witccher 2 EE from nxtworld. I must admit I have never played Witcher 1 as I found the combat sily. Click, click, double click, clickety clack, kaboom, you get the picture...lol..... Now, I fired up witcher 2 and I m on prologue. I pick up the kings mission from the conversation with the jailor or whoever he was. My questions are:

1) Is this story that has already happened in the original witcher or is it filling the gap between witcher 1 and witcher2?
2) How do I make sure that I am running it in DX 11 mode? I dont see an option in the advanced graphics settings?

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Is this story that has already happened in the original witcher or is it filling the gap between witcher 1 and witcher2?
2) How do I make sure that I am running it in DX 11 mode? I dont see an option in the advanced graphics settings?

Your answer, Sire --
  • this is the story, immediately from the point The Witcher 1 ended. Brings the players who never played the older game upto speed and serves as a recap for the cultists.
  • The RED Engine doesn't support Dx 11 as of now and is sporting highly modified Dx 9.0c components in the game. Still the graphics are killer, are they not?

Hope you enjoy your forays into the game, Witcher!

hehe @ALPHA17, all right thats what I thought. It is a filler story in the prologue.... I am playing Dragon age origins right now and have only reached Redliffe after the towers. I am playing as a mage.. I must confess, its only this year that I have gotten into RPGs. Reasons are: 1) Lack of good quality shooters, absence of action adventure games like POP. 2) MASS EFFECT.... Yeah it got me into RPGs... Before this, I think, the only RPG that I ever completed was Fable 2 back in September last year, but that was only because I was bored with my keyboard and mouse and wanted to play a game with the controller.... Anyways, long story short, I won't be able to start Witcher 2 right away. After DA:O, its gonna be Witcher 2, then Skyrim, then Awakening, Lelia's song etc. and then DA2. I also take breaks playing BFBC2 and BF3 online (I dont like BF3 like I do BFBC2). I ordered Witcher 2 right now, because the retail discs were not available anywhere except nextworld.in and even they had only one left.

And, yeah, the graphics of witcher 2 are awesome. Animations are the best in class. Character modelling is almost life like (like Madam Tusaaude's wax statues...lol)... Ubersampling kills even my 7850 with my processor overclocked to 3.3 GHz.

Although, there is one thing I noticed. I am running the game at 1080P, with upersampling disabled and shadows set to high (not very high or ultra), rest everything at ultra with AA disabled. I get around 40 FPS according to FRAPS, but there are jerks when I move the camera. My CPU utilization is maybe 30% on all 3 cores, which means it is not being utilized to its full potential. This is with and without overclock on both CPU and GPU and with a fight going on in the tutorial level. Game is patched to the last. I tried both 12.6 and 12.8 for 7850. Have you come across this issue. This becomes annoying because the camera jerks skips a few frames within a second and keeps doing it everytime I try to move the camera. No data transfer to and from my HDD on which the game is installed. 100% defragmented.

Even when I am playing any other game, my CPU always reached 100% depending on the scene and my games never jerk. e.g. DA:O is using 2 cores (I have removed the affinity from the 3rd core as it crashes if I use all cores) at 100% with 8xAA and everything set to ultra and FPS is always between 80 and 120 as its an old game for my horse of the card. Same with BFBC2 and pretty much every other game. Well, not the frames, but the jerkiness in the camera movement

Thanks @Alias... I googled a bit and visited gamefaqs forum and GOG and found that people having similar problem have not replied in a long time, last time being around late 2011. Eithery they resolved the problem somehow without updating the threads or they finished the game... sigh... I am on my own I guess..

Anyway, it seems to be a buggy driver issue and not a processor issue. Try toning down the settings and checking if it goes away.

Yeah, for many people, the jerkiness issue has gone away simply by toning the settings down. For me also, if I tone down the shadows and texture frame buffer, the jerkiness goes away. But, I dont appreciate the fact that my card (and most other people's too) is way more powerful to handle a game like this at the settings that I mentioned. Similarly spec'd nVidia and even lower are playing the game just fine. I just dont get ATI sometimes. They could not come up with a driver in more than a year that the game has been released that could play the game at higher than low-medium settings. It just sucks... :(

@atiamd Try switching of the 'Depth of field' effect whilst gaming [keep it on for cut-scenes]. This should help more than anything for the jerking to come down. Cheerio!

If it does not please post back.

P.S. -- It is an nVidia TWIIMTBP game, so no surprises. My HD5770 has a few texture issues but as it cannot take the heat of very-high settings I cannot comment.

P.S. -- It is an nVidia TWIIMTBP game, so no surprises. My HD5770 has a few texture issues but as it cannot take the heat of very-high settings I cannot comment.

Yes, its a TWIMTBP game so I would not be surprised if there are issues with ATI cards on release. But i would imagine ATI had more than a year to fix it!! Sigh..

Tried the game with turning every option down alternatively. That took about 20 tries (I tried while turning off one setting and keeping all the other at ultra or high one by one). Every time the issue was there. Then I turned everything off all together. To my surprise, the frame rates remained the same (between 45 and 60, no battles going on) and same jerkiness was there.... I have given up all hopes now. I still have about a month before I start playing this masterpiece and I hope ATI comes out with something by then. I am also opening a thread in ati forums today or tomorrow to see if this has been addressed or if there is a work around..
Speaking of work arounds, some people are reporting that if they use dirt 2 profile in the driver with alternate frame rendering turned on, they get rid of the jerkiness. But they are using a crossfire setup. I'll go give this a whirl when I get home today. Am not even sure if I can select Dirt2 anywhere in the drivers....

Thanks @Alias and @ALPHA17.... :)

Sorry to hear that @atiamd, I thought this was an issue with my old warhorse (HD5770) loosing its steam over the years.

A bit OT, but should get Darksiders II today, unleashing 'Death' should be fun.

^^ hehe..... nah, I think I'll skip this one for the time being and buy it when the price drops down... Too much to play, too less time... I have a huge backlog man....:(

A bit late to the party but here's a small contribution from me.

atiamd, I experienced the exact same problem you described. Luckily, I was able to find a fix that works. Download RadeonPro, create a profile for The Witcher 2 by pointing to the game's .exe file. Next, click on the Advanced tab and enable Flip Queue Size. Set the slider to 1 and the frame skipping should disappear.

You're probably done with the game by now but maybe someone else will find this helpful. :)

atiamd, I experienced the exact same problem you described. Luckily, I was able to find a fix that works. Download RadeonPro, create a profile for The Witcher 2 by pointing to the game's .exe file. Next, click on the Advanced tab and enable Flip Queue Size. Set the slider to 1 and the frame skipping should disappear.

You're probably done with the game by now but maybe someone else will find this helpful. :)

Thank you, will use it when I play it next time. Most probably with a bumped up graphic card OR maybe now. =]

Ahh cool.... And, no I havent even started playing the game (except training and 1 of the prologue missions but that was back in August). I'll give this a try when I get home today..... Thanks for the possible solution man....

Am on the last mission of Hitman:Absolution right now. I'll start witcher 2 in February or so...

Back