The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Discussion Thread

Completed Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition. Both Iorveth and Roche's path completed. But personally i found Iorveth's path better. So all in all Took me around 5-6 Days and in hours ~50 or more.
The game was totally Epic. It was like i simply couldn't get off my seat. Loved the Game. Last time i was so much like into a game was Assassins Creed II. Well, I tried to complete all the quests. Although 2-3 of them i left in between, found boring.

A few quotes from the game me laugh my ass off. One of them was quoted by Zoltan "My Favorite type of magic, Lesbomancy" :lol:

Rest..Totally enjoyed the game. I might give it another shot later after sometime taking all the other decisions(Uninstalled now) but now off to Mass Effect 2. Its been so long i've waited to play this game. (Mass Effect 2 - Graphics are Great)

Thanks @ALPHA17 for helping me through the game. May your Sword Stay Sharp, Witcher!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay guys another quick update [keeping this thread on a IV drip], CD PROJECKT RED and GOG.com have partnered to release the Witcher: Director's Cut Redeem copy for people who already have the physical copy of the Witcher [any edition].

As usual the gog traits have seeped in --
  • DRM free;
  • unlimited installations and downloads;
  • a bag full of extras.

Redeem your copy today, Cheerio!!

Goosebumpsville ALERT!

Remember the f*ckin' epic track from the Enhanced Edition launch trailer I have been trying to tack down? Guess what, CDPR community is so active, that they heard the fans and actually gave us the MP3 for download. :yahoo:

NEWS: Music from our launch trailer available for download

It's composed by Adam Skorupa & Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz. Guaranteed to raise every inch of hair on your body. Absolutely brilliant track! I had the 720p video playing in loop so many times on my mobile phone. :D

:cloud9: @Ethan_Hunt, @ramdante, now you know, why I love the game [developer] so. :cupidon: :cupidon: I shall sing their praises, on all the radio phases, till the end of time OR when I am reduced to a mime...

:cloud9: Ethan_Hunt, ramdante, now you know, why I love the game [developer] so. :cupidon: :cupidon: I shall sing their praises, on all the radio phases, till the end of time OR when I am reduced to a mime...

Well, they deserve it. It's amazing when you are actively following up on fan-feedback. Most of the larger game companies try to rake in more money, while CDPR try to connect with their audience and offer them what they want. Despite such a hue-and-cry about PC piracy, they have stuck to their PC support, with numerous amount of patches and fixes. Also, starting up an online non-DRM distribution service is an icing on the cake. I really hope they stick to these values and hope they prosper in their future projects. :)

Too bad there are not many mods for witcher 2 like skyrim or witcher 1.

Says who, the Witcher 2 Dev. team hired a MOD-er and they have already made his MOD a de-facto addition into the official game with a patch.

Go have a look at The Witcher2 forums.

compared to skyrim it is nothing as far open source modding.

You do realize that you are comparing two very-very divergent game types in the RPG genre; the Witcher 2 is more focussed on its story [decision making] and fast paced action, on the other extreme is The Elder Scrolls series which delves into setting and exploration of the set piece.

Honestly the Witcher has me snared [call me a fanboy]. I tried to play Skyrim I grinded to level 50 and yes the exploration was fun but the combat was a let down, the fact that I was Dragon-born meant I could get out of a tight pickle and it all feels very surreal; all factions are painted in Black and White, decision making is comme ci, comme ça. Events will pan out in a pre-planned, canned mannerism so it really defeats the purpose of the situation.

Skyrim will and already has started its vaunted roll-out of paid-DLC's but then again I have not stuck with the original [I quit playing it after lvl 54] so I doubt I will invest in it again, whilst CD PROJECKT RED has offered all extra content for free [the soundtrack, the artbook, a comic and a few items I will keep under wraps, 4 hours of extra gameplay content].

The graphics fidelity of the two games are on separate planes, The Witcher portrays a world that mirrors our own; the Elder Scrolls lives in its own fantasy where you are removed from your choices.

As far as MOD's are concerned most developed for The Witcher have focussed on improving the ergonomics of the game and changing the inventory system, the crafting system; on the other hand most of Skyrim's MOD's as far as I see are improvements on the graphical scale.

Here is a list of regularly updated MOD's and where to download them from.

I think I have stated my point and we can agree to disagree.

Are there any plans for more DLC by any chance ?

Do not know Dinjo, but who knows. They recently pulled out Patch 3.2 which had an inventory MOD made mainstream [because they now employ the MOD developer in question].

Maybe someone will make a few more interesting quests for Chapter 2 [especially in Vergen]. It happened for the first game, so definitely hoping for it to happen. OR they might go the whole hog and release a unpaid DLC [if they make it paid too, no issues] which will tell us the immediate story of Aedirn and the Free Pontar valley [in the shadow of a Nilfgaardian invasion] now that the entire power balance in the north has been screwed over by Letho and his cats-paw.

You do realize that you are comparing two very-very divergent game types in the RPG genre; the Witcher 2 is more focussed on its story [decision making] and fast paced action, on the other extreme is The Elder Scrolls series which delves into setting and exploration of the set piece.

Honestly the Witcher has me snared [call me a fanboy]. I tried to play Skyrim I grinded to level 50 and yes the exploration was fun but the combat was a let down, the fact that I was Dragon-born meant I could get out of a tight pickle and it all feels very surreal; all factions are painted in Black and White, decision making is comme ci, comme ça. Events will pan out in a pre-planned, canned mannerism so it really defeats the purpose of the situation.

Skyrim will and already has started its vaunted roll-out of paid-DLC's but then again I have not stuck with the original [I quit playing it after lvl 54] so I doubt I will invest in it again, whilst CD PROJECKT RED has offered all extra content for free [the soundtrack, the artbook, a comic and a few items I will keep under wraps, 4 hours of extra gameplay content].

The graphics fidelity of the two games are on separate planes, The Witcher portrays a world that mirrors our own; the Elder Scrolls lives in its own fantasy where you are removed from your choices.

As far as MOD's are concerned most developed for The Witcher have focussed on improving the ergonomics of the game and changing the inventory system, the crafting system; on the other hand most of Skyrim's MOD's as far as I see are improvements on the graphical scale.

Here is a list of regularly updated MOD's and where to download them from.

I think I have stated my point and we can agree to disagree.

Do not know Dinjo, but who knows. They recently pulled out Patch 3.2 which had an inventory MOD made mainstream [because they now employ the MOD developer in question].

Maybe someone will make a few more interesting quests for Chapter 2 [especially in Vergen]. It happened for the first game, so definitely hoping for it to happen. OR they might go the whole hog and release a unpaid DLC [if they make it paid too, no issues] which will tell us the immediate story of Aedirn and the Free Pontar valley [in the shadow of a Nilfgaardian invasion] now that the entire power balance in the north has been screwed over by Letho and his cats-paw.

Bro,

I love witcher 2 more than skyrim too ,the decisons we make in witcher 2 has more effect than skyrim.what i was saying is with skyrim there are far more mods and users can create more content like the flying broom sticks and all ,but witcher 2 graphics and lightning are above skyrim.

So guys, is Xbox controller preferred or a normal keyboard+ mouse? I wish Witcher 1 had controller support but they didn't, Also what's with the enhanced edition(PC) , is it worth buying?
How's gameplay i mean, is it purely openworld like Skyrim,Oblivion or similar to Witcher 1 where restrictions do exist.

So guys, is Xbox controller preferred or a normal keyboard+ mouse? I wish Witcher 1 had controller support but they didn't, Also what's with the enhanced edition(PC) , is it worth buying?
How's gameplay i mean, is it purely openworld like Skyrim,Oblivion or similar to Witcher 1 where restrictions do exist.
I'd say Keyboard + Mouse. Loved the Combin! :D

I have used the keyboard + mouse route and it is very efficient; although the game is said to have a very intuitive and easy to access controller key-mapping as well.

The Enhanced Edition is the default version of the The Witcher 2, now. So whether you purchase a physical copy, a STEAM digital download OR GoG edition you will get the full-monty of extras inclusive of -- artbooks, the soundtrack, the paper-doll templates and a witcher comic all in the digital format.

The game-play is not fully exploration-centric like SKYRIM OR unlike the old Witcher but is a mix of the two [you still cannot jump in the game], but here are the salient points --
  • COMBAT; unlike the archaic hack and slash simplicity of SKYRIM, the Witcher 2 features a well thought and visceral combat engine that allows for a great amount of finesse and precision and this translates into EPIC fight-sequences.
  • CRAFTING; again I find this better organized than the SKYRIM system. Although you cannot craft things on your own, you can employ craftsmen to do so but brewing potions is very easy and so is constructing bombs, you just require their recipes / formulae.
  • SIDE-QUEST; unlike SKYRIM where these are integral to your plot, the side-quests in The Witcher hold tactical benefits to carrying them out. Also their are multiple ways of finishing them. So they never feel repetitive OR boring.
  • STORYLINE; SKYRIM although setup very well has an average story at the heart of its game, the Witcher is not so simple -- a single choice can completely change how the game plays out as well as how the NPC's react to you.

If you want a more detailed explanation read this post by @Ethan_Hunt -->http://www.techenclave.com/gaming/witcher-2-assassins-kings-discussion-112336/p10/#post1636363

Wishing you luck and may your sword stay sharp Witcher!

P.S. -- I am highly biased towards this game if you have not noticed till now because I finished this game ~6 times while I un-installed SKYRIM after I got bored [the main story arc is next to useless in my opinion].

Side quests aren't integral to the central plot in Skyrim. You can safely skip ALL the side missions, play the central plot alone and complete the title in say < 15 hours. Besides, crafting is much more complex in Skyrim. It may take a while to get used to the crafting mechanisms. OTOH, it is pretty easy in Witcher 2.

Back