The Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus Thread.

Guys I need some honest opinions. I was (still am) planning to get an iPhone 4 / 4S as I really like to use iOS. I am talking about user experience. I know next iPhone might be out of budget.
From pure user experience how good is jelly bean ? Not taking sides but iOS user experience (forget features and restrictions) Is very very good at least for me. It feels super snappy and I just love it.
The only thing I detest for android is the lag in UI. It's a huge turn off for me. But I am someone using ICS on a 2010 phone (ZTE blade)
Does jelly bean on nexus as snappy as google wants us to believe ? User experiences will be appreciated.
I am looking at something under 400$ and will be buying from USA. Not considering the s3 as of now.
Btw I am not at all interested in multiple cores and all and also don't want to get into custom ROM mess. Want to use on
Stock OS. I am ok with the 16Gb that nexus (or iPhone) provides. I dont play much games on phone.

PS: please dont make this fight of ios vs android.

ZTE Blade (Rs. 6k phone) is not the phone to form opinion on Android. ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) was my first android phone. I recently switched from S2 to Galaxy Nexus. It is very smooth. I does not lag at all for me. Camera is obviously inferior to iPhone/S2, then again that's alright considering the price difference. I don't think you will regret buying a Nexus.

Guys I need some honest opinions. I was (still am) planning to get an iPhone 4 / 4S as I really like to use iOS. I am talking about user experience. I know next iPhone might be out of budget.
From pure user experience how good is jelly bean ? Not taking sides but iOS user experience (forget features and restrictions) Is very very good at least for me. It feels super snappy and I just love it.
The only thing I detest for android is the lag in UI. It's a huge turn off for me. But I am someone using ICS on a 2010 phone (ZTE blade)
Does jelly bean on nexus as snappy as google wants us to believe ? User experiences will be appreciated.
I am looking at something under 400$ and will be buying from USA. Not considering the s3 as of now.
Btw I am not at all interested in multiple cores and all and also don't want to get into custom ROM mess. Want to use on
Stock OS. I am ok with the 16Gb that nexus (or iPhone) provides. I dont play much games on phone.

Jellybean on nexus is as fast and snappy as ios on ip4. I have used both :)

Which model of Galaxy Nexus do you have? AFAIK, all GSM Galaxy Nexus' are factory unlocked.
Its GT-I9250TDVLE1, GSM and was used with Vodafone in Australia. The seller says it was factory unlocked but needs some unlock code for India, which is kinda weird.

What do I do?

JB on Galaxy Nexus is really smooth (almost iOS-like smooth). In terms of UI, I like JB more than iOS (I believe iOS is too bland for my taste and I prefer bigger screens). Most common-tasks on JB on high-end devices will work lag-free. There will be an odd lag here and there, but it does not take away the entire user experience. One thing where iOS still rules over Android is scrolling. Don't get me wrong, scrolling on JB is lag-free but you don't get the fluidity that you see on iOS. It is kind of difficult to explain in words, but you would understand what I am talking about when you hold both side-by-side and scroll through a, say, list of Messages/SMS on both.

I would suggest you buy either One X (you can get slightly used ones in your budget) or Galaxy Nexus (get this if you don't want to get into Custom-ROM mess). Both of them are very capable phones and will provide the best experience that Android has to offer.

- - - Updated - - -

Its GT-I9250TDVLE1, GSM and was used with Vodafone in Australia. The seller says it was factory unlocked but needs some unlock code for India, which is kinda weird.

What do I do?

If you are the adventurous type, follow the steps mentioned here to sim-unlock your device http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1606982

If you want to play safe, buy a sim-unlock code online from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMEI-Unlock...ltDomain_2&hash=item4ab7b27d1c#ht_1746wt_1156

Just make sure (from the source of your purchase or by googling your Nexus model number) that your phone is actually from Vodafone Australia before buying the unlock code.

If you are the adventurous type, follow the steps mentioned here to sim-unlock your device Docomo SIM unlock: Jup's Grand Theory of Permanent SIM Unlock - xda-developers

If you want to play safe, buy a sim-unlock code online from here IMEI Unlock Code for Vodafone Australia Samsung Nexus Galaxy i9250 | eBay

Just make sure (from the source of your purchase or by googling your Nexus model number) that your phone is actually from Vodafone Australia before buying the unlock code.
Appreciate the links. My question is, should I buy the phone? My concern is that unlocking the phone shouldn't cause any trouble in future due software upgrades or SIM change. If its safe on that front then I will get it. What say?

Once a phone is unlocked using unlock code, it doesn't get locked again irrespective of what rom you change or even update the phone.

Once a phone is unlocked using unlock code, it doesn't get locked again irrespective of what rom you change or even update the phone.
Thats good news. But did some searching and looks like it could get locked again, could be random and not a sure thing either. There are people who mentioned that their phone got locked and needed to use the unlock pin again at times. But then doesnt really happen with all.

By default, Nexus is factory unlocked.
Have heard and read that a thousand times, but some of the threads over at Xda-developers suggest otherwise.

well i think its the best samsung phone at this price loaded with emmence quality and standard features..
just wounder if it will also be available in india...!!

I was at a fast food restaurant today and there was this lady besides me who was watching some movie on her phone which to me appeared to be a galaxy nexus as I saw the 3 software buttons.
But it seemed to me that even when the video was playing the the three buttons were visible. Is that the case with the galaxy nexus that the soft keys are visible even when the video is playing in landscape mode ?
I have no idea what video player that was.
Just curious.

One more query. The galaxy nexus and i9250 are same phone ?
Because when i search for galaxy nexus on gsmarena, out of the results I get there is a Samsung galaxy nexus as well as the i9250 shown with different availability days with one being October 2011 and another being January 2012.
Confusing as if I plan to buy this phone I will mostly buy from amazon and I don't want to order a wrong phone.

Appreciate the links. My question is, should I buy the phone? My concern is that unlocking the phone shouldn't cause any trouble in future due software upgrades or SIM change. If its safe on that front then I will get it. What say?

Oh well, if you haven't bought it yet, I would suggest you buy i9250 i.e. the international Galaxy Nexus.

- - - Updated - - -

I was at a fast food restaurant today and there was this lady besides me who was watching some movie on her phone which to me appeared to be a galaxy nexus as I saw the 3 software buttons.
But it seemed to me that even when the video was playing the the three buttons were visible. Is that the case with the galaxy nexus that the soft keys are visible even when the video is playing in landscape mode ?
I have no idea what video player that was.
Just curious.
The 3 virtual buttons change into 3 small dots at the bottom when you are watching full-screen content.

One more query. The galaxy nexus and i9250 are same phone ?
Because when i search for galaxy nexus on gsmarena, out of the results I get there is a Samsung galaxy nexus as well as the i9250 shown with different availability days with one being October 2011 and another being January 2012.
Confusing as if I plan to buy this phone I will mostly buy from amazon and I don't want to order a wrong phone.
Yes,i9250 is the international Galaxy Nexus.

No, the 3 buttons hides and the movie takes the whole screen space.
To have the soft keys back, you have to tap once on the video.
Even in camera app, the 3 buttons hides and shows like a little dots to avoid distraction.

raksrules

I have used both Iphone 4S (my bros) and Galaxy Nexus which i bought. Jelly Bean on Galaxy nexus is just amazing. It is almost as smooth as iOS. I say almost coz there are some times (usually when you have opened lots of apps) when the homescreen or app drawer stutters slightly. Not too noticable.

I got bored with the iPhone 4S after few days. With Galaxy nexus there are lots of things that you can change(ROMS, kernels) that will keep you interested in this phone. Although you have mentioned you wont be doing all this. But customizing the phone is much better with Nexus. Also i like google play better than App Store. And never really understood how to get iTunes to work as i want. Always messed up

If you are looking to buy this phone in US i recommend you buy it from PlayStore. It was selling for $350 which JB preinstalled

On other note, just got this case. Burgundy(red Wine color)
CASESSS.com by Sofiz - Rock "Naked Shell" Case for Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Case is very thin and adds no bulk at all. Not sure how much protection it will offer. But It has nice grip and feels good to hold. It just looks amazing. Also you get a free screen guard in the package.

I think the exact model number is mentioned on the back of the box. If there is no box, then I am not sure, just buy it from a trusted source that says it is i9250.

I had really liked the GNex the first time I had seen it and held it in my hands. I knew it was a killer phone.
I finally bought one for myself last week. I can't express enough how good the stock JB rom itself is. I'm literally a crack flasher and used to flash different roms very frequently on my older phones. But I've been using the stock rom on the Galaxy Nexus for 6 days now and don't feel any lags or hiccups whatsoever. Everything is butter smooth. :D

Back