The Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus Thread.

hi guys

a friend of mine is very new to the nexus family.. he wants to update his phone (nexus) to JB.. it just got an 4.0.4 update OTA.

Since this is a non indian phone all he needs to do to get JB is connect it via kies and update to jelly bean right?

Please shed some light on this.. thanks

@Pat

What is the difference between the US version available on play store and the i9250 international version ? If there are none I will buy whatever I get and I know the play store one will come with JB pre installed but I might just buy from amazon as I have GC balance available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google voice recognition works pretty well for me. But i am not able to get the google cards to work. Weather and traffic cards used to show up randomly. After i flashed a new ROM all google now settings are gone. I thought all of this would be synced to my gmail account. But its not. I have to start all over again. It wold be good if sports cards start showing up before and after the matches. I cant get them to work.

In my view Google voice is just a party piece. Google cards has good potential. The other day i was searching a restaurant in google on my laptop( i was signed in to my google account). Just few seconds later a google card appeared on my nexus showing me the direction from my present location to the restaurant and the traffic conditions.

How is the battery life one the galaxy nexus with jelly bean ? Decent enough to go for full day with usual stuff like 10-15 minutes of calling, couple of hours of video watching (no HD stuff), Edge on full day.
I see myself using video for like 1.5 hours daily so asking.
Also the stock ROM is good enough for people who don't want to tinker, right ?
Will have to get some Hands on before I purchase one.

I have purchased a Galaxy Nexus from eBay should arrive in a day or two
I did a long research on XDA forum for ROMS, and found out some good ones for ICS
So can one suggest me some good ROMS for Jelly Bean, I couldn't find many of JB roms or should I stick to stock JB for now?
Also apart from the following, liquidsmooth slimICS MIUI are there any good roms to consider?

How is the battery life one the galaxy nexus with jelly bean ? Decent enough to go for full day with usual stuff like 10-15 minutes of calling, couple of hours of video watching (no HD stuff), Edge on full day.

On Stock JB yakju build ,

i get 22-24hours on single charge, ~4 hours of screen on time , normal usage like wifi or data ON all the time,surfing,30min of youtube,music etc.

14-16hours on single charge, ~3hours of screen on time with 45min of gps usage rest as above.

[for advance use only]5 hour screen on time is possible with some tweaking cpu voltages/speed.

Google voice recognition works pretty well for me. But i am not able to get the google cards to work. Weather and traffic cards used to show up randomly. After i flashed a new ROM all google now settings are gone. I thought all of this would be synced to my gmail account. But its not. I have to start all over again. It wold be good if sports cards start showing up before and after the matches. I cant get them to work.

In my view Google voice is just a party piece. Google cards has good potential. The other day i was searching a restaurant in google on my laptop( i was signed in to my google account). Just few seconds later a google card appeared on my nexus showing me the direction from my present location to the restaurant and the traffic conditions.

Google now works perfectly for me. It shows me traffic and directions to work every morning and the same for home every evening. It even shows sports alerts for my favorite sports teams! It even showed bus schedule once when I was stuck in traffic next to a bus stop. :p

Screenshot_2012-08-24-23-31-22.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I get around 1.5-2 days of battery life. 3G on full day (9 hrs). Wifi on at home (6-7 hrs). All types of sync on always. Around 3.5-4 hrs of screen on time. I'm on stock ROM.

- - - Updated - - -

I have purchased a Galaxy Nexus from eBay should arrive in a day or two
I did a long research on XDA forum for ROMS, and found out some good ones for ICS
So can one suggest me some good ROMS for Jelly Bean, I couldn't find many of JB roms or should I stick to stock JB for now?
Also apart from the following, liquidsmooth slimICS MIUI are there any good roms to consider?
You won't find a solid reason to use custom ROMs. Stick to stock at least for a couple of weeks.

I get around 1.5-2 days of battery life. 3G on full day (9 hrs). Wifi on at home (6-7 hrs). All types of sync on always. Around 3.5-4 hrs of screen on time. I'm on stock ROM.

Thats great man! What are you doing to get that? Even I am on stock and using 2G and WiFi + 3rd party launcher + Camera sometimes. I only manage a day at max :S

You won't find a solid reason to use custom ROMs. Stick to stock at least for a couple of weeks.
Same thoughts. I am planning to stick to the stock for a little while so that I can actually see the difference :)

Btw, guys I just applied Gadgetshieldz to my Nexus. It was fun in its own way right from creating my own makeshift solution using Lifebuoy Handwash to the whole alignment and settling down of the shield.

I would like to bring to your attention that Gadgetshieldz is an Indian company which manufactures high quality screen guards which make use of military grade film and the quality is actually at par with what we get from the International brands like Zagg or ArmorShield. These guys are doing a great job and in my opinion are severely underrated. It is actually quite cheap for a superior product and they also ship worldwide for 0 shipping fee. The cost is a nominal INR 350 (on ebay with the seller name of gadgetshieldz) and for international buyers I think around $6 or $7.

http://myworld.ebay.in/gadgetshieldz

As of now the shield is still settling down(wet shields take around 12-14 hours for proper settling down) and most probably I will be able to post some pictures by tomorrow of the job well done
People looking for screen guard kindly visit GadgetShieldz Clear Cell Phone Covers and Skins | Full-Body Invisible Shields,Screen Protectors and support our Desi bhais to help them achieve the world class status

Believe me the effort that goes in actually makes it quite a fun activity.

@seraph
Some pics would be nice,would love to see what GadgetShieldz has to offer as far as protection is concern
And there is nothing like a small "DIY" kit/Job that brings that inner happiness out :p

@seraph
Some pics would be nice,would love to see what GadgetShieldz has to offer as far as protection is concern
And there is nothing like a small "DIY" kit/Job that brings that inner happiness out :p

I found a review somewhere where a guy actually tried to pierce the shield with a pen. It withstood comfortably. The same review took some points out because of the accessories not present. I think that is actually the plus point. This DIY gig was fun!

And yes will be adding the pictures soon. As of now its still drying :)

No, the 3 buttons hides and the movie takes the whole screen space.
To have the soft keys back, you have to tap once on the video.
Even in camera app, the 3 buttons hides and shows like a little dots to avoid distraction.

Yep correct ;)
Maybe the lady was a n00b :p

- - - Updated - - -
@seraph
How do you even apply that shield correctly!?
I mean chances of error due to shaky hands, cat running around the house or neighbor kid screaming on top of its voice!?

How do you even apply that shield correctly!?
I mean chances of error due to shaky hands, cat running around the house or neighbor kid screaming on top of its voice!?

I chose the late hours of the night so that I can install it in peace :) So no cats or the neighbourhood kid screaming. This was the first time I was applying a screen guard so was a bit shaky yes but surprisingly the whole process was very intuitive and easy. I would suggest that these guys tone down the anxiety they create in their instructions. I found it quite easy to install and it doesn't even take much time. Only thing is that the back cover being rough, I couldn't get it to settle down properly and it clearly shows a film is on but protection is protections. The one on the screen is very transparent and you can hardly tell its there with the screen off.
Of course, when you switch it on there is a bit of a glare but the visibility is not affected at all. I will be posting the pics as soon as I get my hands on a camera. Can't take pictures of the phone from the phone itself :p

Btw, shaky hands are nothing to be worried about as you can take your own sweet time to apply the shield by constantly repositioning and reapplying as long as the shield is wet ( dipped in soap solution).
After that also you can provide the minor repositioning as it slides freely for the first 4-5 minutes. So that is well covered and not to be worried about :)

Why would you use a back case for the galaxy nexus? Its like hiding the back of an iPhone 4S with a cheap silicon back cover. I use gadgetshieldz full body cover for my galaxy nexus

Why would you use a back case for the galaxy nexus? Its like hiding the back of an iPhone 4S with a cheap silicon back cover. I use gadgetshieldz full body cover for my galaxy nexus
That scratch guard will probably just save your phone scratches,what about a fall ??
I don't thing a military grade plastic film can withstand a fall,its bound to get damaged....that's where a protective TPU case helps ;)

Any thin films like gadgetshieldz or zagg will only protect from scratches. I am not sure if hard cases are any better. They transfer the impact directly to the phone. If it's a thick case it might be better. But it will add bulk. I guess soft cases are much better in absorbing shocks. But they tend to be sticky and refuse to go down the pocket. So choose what you want.

Back