User Guides Offline maps on a Java Mobile

I know that most of you are familiar with this maps thingy.
Anyway here are the steps that will allow you to have Google/Yahoo maps on mobile which has java capability (usually all of the standard mobiles are having this nowadays) without the need for a GPRS connection
Download the jar file at the following link and install the app on your phone

Mobile GMaps / free download
Using the tools below, create the map files and transfer to phone

Mobile GMaps - Map Tile Caching tools
Edit the settings in mgmaps to point to the folder location.

Here is a little more detailed step by step procedure.
1.Use the map creation tool to generate the map tiles.
Map Creation Tool for MGMaps

On the map select the area and place 4 markers by clicking on the map using the mouse. (You can deselect a pin by clicking on it again)

Once the area is selected, select the
Zoom level: from and to (0 , 16 will do)

Level of detail: (default(fast and rough) is enough)

Type of map: (select your choice)
Click on Generate and it will allow you to download a .map file
2 Download the Gmapmaker setup file and install it.
(I found that gMapMaker is a good tool to generate the maps if you are using windows.I have also tried the perl command tools in linux and those are also working)
Cache Folder -- is the place where the downloaded files will be stored.

Operation Mode -- Mgmaps mode, use a .map file
Press GO and it will ask you to select the map file. Select the map file you have created in the first step and there you go!!!
Let gmapmaker download the tile files.. This will take some time.. Be patient :D
3. Copy the generated cache folder to the mobile's mem stick or to phone mem for faster access.( if you have enuf space in phone memory :eek:hyeah: )

4. Install Mgmaps on your mobile from the jar file.
In the setting select the cache folder that you have stored on the mobile
TIPS

The download size is usually very big and hence it is not advisable to download a big area of map all at once.You can generate .map for different areas in seperate .map files and transfer the folders and put on the phone as separate maps.
For example, if you need map for Chennai... download that area and move to mem stick and name the folder as chennai.Do the same for blore and name the folder as blore. You can alternate betweeen each map by just selecting the required map folder in the settings section of Mgmaps from within the app on the phone. In this way you will make the maps load faster on the phone.
Although my phone (W810i) is without GPS , these maps are supposed to work with GPS. (Hoping to buy a new mobile.. Locking on Nokia 5800XM, if the price is right:cool2: )
Thats all folks...
If anyone need any help with installing/generating maps, please contact me and I will help you as far as I can.:)
Here are some additional notes sent by ajay387

1.Download it from this site

Mobile GMaps - Download

2. Download the zip file.

3. Then zip file will contain four files - 1 installer file and 3 jad files

4. If you are using nokia pc suite to transfer then - jad and jar (Installer) files should be named the same (Some s40 phones require that), so if the jad is named mgmaps_signed.jad rename it to mgmaps.jad before uploading installer file to your phone.

5. If u are going to transfer as data storage - then copy installer file and jad file (Remember both should have the same names).

6.Then select the application on the phone->Options->Application Acess->Data Access->Read User data->Ask First Time Only

no point of using zoom level till 18 for Indian cities. you don't get that level of detail even for Delhi, let alone for the rest of the country!

I triple checked btw, unless of course you are using terrain/hybrid maps, for which I suppose its better to use the Google app itself and a cheap prepaid gprs connection like Aircel.

^^ Tru i too would go for normal GOOGLE maps app. But you see i am going to travel abroad for a few days in a month so i need maps of that place preloaded and hence downloading at 18 level zoom and that too hybrid map.

I am facing this issue with the gmapmaker PC software. I am downloading the Mumbai Map with "Highy detailed" and also Hybrid map, something i know will occupy a lot of space. So gmapmaker works fine for some time but suddenly those three parallel downloads it does stops. Percentage of neither of them increases. But my bandwidth is being utilized fully, which is not the case when actually the percentage bar is progressing, when the bandwidth usage fluctuates a lot.

I dont have any other app open which consumer bandwidth. What can be the case ?

The zoom level of my map is till 18.

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH SUNAVI NAVIGATION SYSTEM. I AM HAVING A PHONE WITH SUNAVI GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEM WHICH CONTAINS MAP FILES IN .DB FORMAT. AND A .SIG FILE FOR EACH MAP. I AM UNABLE TO DECODE/OPEN THIS .SIG FILE AND DID NOT FIND A .SIG FOR SAUDI ARABIA MAPS ON THE NET. PLEASE HELP.

Back