User Guides Offline maps on a Java Mobile

I know that most of you are familiar with this maps thingy.
Anyway here are the steps that will allow you to have Google/Yahoo maps on mobile which has java capability (usually all of the standard mobiles are having this nowadays) without the need for a GPRS connection
Download the jar file at the following link and install the app on your phone

Mobile GMaps / free download
Using the tools below, create the map files and transfer to phone

Mobile GMaps - Map Tile Caching tools
Edit the settings in mgmaps to point to the folder location.

Here is a little more detailed step by step procedure.
1.Use the map creation tool to generate the map tiles.
Map Creation Tool for MGMaps

On the map select the area and place 4 markers by clicking on the map using the mouse. (You can deselect a pin by clicking on it again)

Once the area is selected, select the
Zoom level: from and to (0 , 16 will do)

Level of detail: (default(fast and rough) is enough)

Type of map: (select your choice)
Click on Generate and it will allow you to download a .map file
2 Download the Gmapmaker setup file and install it.
(I found that gMapMaker is a good tool to generate the maps if you are using windows.I have also tried the perl command tools in linux and those are also working)
Cache Folder -- is the place where the downloaded files will be stored.

Operation Mode -- Mgmaps mode, use a .map file
Press GO and it will ask you to select the map file. Select the map file you have created in the first step and there you go!!!
Let gmapmaker download the tile files.. This will take some time.. Be patient :D
3. Copy the generated cache folder to the mobile's mem stick or to phone mem for faster access.( if you have enuf space in phone memory :eek:hyeah: )

4. Install Mgmaps on your mobile from the jar file.
In the setting select the cache folder that you have stored on the mobile
TIPS

The download size is usually very big and hence it is not advisable to download a big area of map all at once.You can generate .map for different areas in seperate .map files and transfer the folders and put on the phone as separate maps.
For example, if you need map for Chennai... download that area and move to mem stick and name the folder as chennai.Do the same for blore and name the folder as blore. You can alternate betweeen each map by just selecting the required map folder in the settings section of Mgmaps from within the app on the phone. In this way you will make the maps load faster on the phone.
Although my phone (W810i) is without GPS , these maps are supposed to work with GPS. (Hoping to buy a new mobile.. Locking on Nokia 5800XM, if the price is right:cool2: )
Thats all folks...
If anyone need any help with installing/generating maps, please contact me and I will help you as far as I can.:)
Here are some additional notes sent by ajay387

1.Download it from this site

Mobile GMaps - Download

2. Download the zip file.

3. Then zip file will contain four files - 1 installer file and 3 jad files

4. If you are using nokia pc suite to transfer then - jad and jar (Installer) files should be named the same (Some s40 phones require that), so if the jad is named mgmaps_signed.jad rename it to mgmaps.jad before uploading installer file to your phone.

5. If u are going to transfer as data storage - then copy installer file and jad file (Remember both should have the same names).

6.Then select the application on the phone->Options->Application Acess->Data Access->Read User data->Ask First Time Only

gmapmaker isnt working for me. is there and other software which i can use

Good guide though :)

edit :nevermind .. needed .net 2.0 for this to run

Goto the Menu -> settings page..

There you can see the Map Browsing -> Storage Path (I am using Mobile Gmaps v1.39.13)

For example, Just put an entry like e:\MGmaps, if your maps are stored in folder MGmaps, on memory card.

:hap2:
rASCAL said:
where in the settings do i select the cache folder.

hi, i installed the mobile gmaps on phone, then copied the cache folder on my phone.It had some 10 files in it size abt 900KB. then in settings changed the storage path n restarted the application. Still i can't veiw the map .
i have a few questions:
1) shud i allow it to connect to internet.
2) What shud i do to view d map i copied.
3) Am i doing anything wrong .
thanks

Seems like the maps did not get properly generated.. 900kb seems to be a bit less.. How much area/zoom of the map did you select?

Internet connection is not needed and hence you don't need to allow access..

Try regenerating the maps and transfer to the phone again.. Good luck :cool2:

yaju13385 said:
hi, i installed the mobile gmaps on phone, then copied the cache folder on my phone.It had some 10 files in it size abt 900KB. then in settings changed the storage path n restarted the application. Still i can't veiw the map .

i have a few questions:

2) What shud i do to view d map i copied.

3) Am i doing anything wrong .

thanks

I have been using mgmaps for over a year now. If anyone has any questions about mgmaps then pm me. I will try to solve any problems you may be facing.

Nice post. I tried the above software on my K810i and absolutely loved it. I always keep forgetting my way through my own city and this is as helpful as it can get. Would have been perfect with a GPS enabled device though.

Definitely.. a GPS will be a great boon...

Currently I am using the maps on a w810i.. W810i screen is too small:'(

I am planning to buy Nokia 5800XM. May be I will wait for a month or two for its price to drop.. Then I will buy it:yahoo:

baccilus said:
Nice post. I tried the above software on my K810i and absolutely loved it. I always keep forgetting my way through my own city and this is as helpful as it can get. Would have been perfect with a GPS enabled device though.

baccilus said:

Try google maps for mobile. Google uses tower based location system to give an approximate location even if the mobile doesn't have GPS. This is better than having no location at all. But to use this, you need to have access to GPRS

akg7091 said:
Try google maps for mobile. Google uses tower based location system to give an approximate location even if the mobile doesn't have GPS. This is better than having no location at all. But to use this, you need to have access to GPRS

Destroys the whole purpose of this thread....:bleh:

I know that offline maps are being discussed in this thread.
I posted the info about google maps for the benefit of those people who don't have gps in their mobile phones. You can use google maps to get an approximate location and then use the stored maps to navigate further.
It comes very handy when you are in a new place.

Anybody want maps for Bangalore to be used with mg maps?, i have downloaded Google road maps and covers most of Bangalore including outskirts.

Given that... if anyone needs map of chennai city limits.. let me know!

But it will be good and better to generate your own maps as it is easy and simple... Downloading pre-generated maps is for the lazy :eek:hyeah:

mjkn79 said:
Anybody want maps for Bangalore to be used with mg maps?, i have downloaded Google road maps and covers most of Bangalore including outskirts.

Back