User Guides Offline maps on a Java Mobile

I know that most of you are familiar with this maps thingy.
Anyway here are the steps that will allow you to have Google/Yahoo maps on mobile which has java capability (usually all of the standard mobiles are having this nowadays) without the need for a GPRS connection
Download the jar file at the following link and install the app on your phone

Mobile GMaps / free download
Using the tools below, create the map files and transfer to phone

Mobile GMaps - Map Tile Caching tools
Edit the settings in mgmaps to point to the folder location.

Here is a little more detailed step by step procedure.
1.Use the map creation tool to generate the map tiles.
Map Creation Tool for MGMaps

On the map select the area and place 4 markers by clicking on the map using the mouse. (You can deselect a pin by clicking on it again)

Once the area is selected, select the
Zoom level: from and to (0 , 16 will do)

Level of detail: (default(fast and rough) is enough)

Type of map: (select your choice)
Click on Generate and it will allow you to download a .map file
2 Download the Gmapmaker setup file and install it.
(I found that gMapMaker is a good tool to generate the maps if you are using windows.I have also tried the perl command tools in linux and those are also working)
Cache Folder -- is the place where the downloaded files will be stored.

Operation Mode -- Mgmaps mode, use a .map file
Press GO and it will ask you to select the map file. Select the map file you have created in the first step and there you go!!!
Let gmapmaker download the tile files.. This will take some time.. Be patient :D
3. Copy the generated cache folder to the mobile's mem stick or to phone mem for faster access.( if you have enuf space in phone memory :eek:hyeah: )

4. Install Mgmaps on your mobile from the jar file.
In the setting select the cache folder that you have stored on the mobile
TIPS

The download size is usually very big and hence it is not advisable to download a big area of map all at once.You can generate .map for different areas in seperate .map files and transfer the folders and put on the phone as separate maps.
For example, if you need map for Chennai... download that area and move to mem stick and name the folder as chennai.Do the same for blore and name the folder as blore. You can alternate betweeen each map by just selecting the required map folder in the settings section of Mgmaps from within the app on the phone. In this way you will make the maps load faster on the phone.
Although my phone (W810i) is without GPS , these maps are supposed to work with GPS. (Hoping to buy a new mobile.. Locking on Nokia 5800XM, if the price is right:cool2: )
Thats all folks...
If anyone need any help with installing/generating maps, please contact me and I will help you as far as I can.:)
Here are some additional notes sent by ajay387

1.Download it from this site

Mobile GMaps - Download

2. Download the zip file.

3. Then zip file will contain four files - 1 installer file and 3 jad files

4. If you are using nokia pc suite to transfer then - jad and jar (Installer) files should be named the same (Some s40 phones require that), so if the jad is named mgmaps_signed.jad rename it to mgmaps.jad before uploading installer file to your phone.

5. If u are going to transfer as data storage - then copy installer file and jad file (Remember both should have the same names).

6.Then select the application on the phone->Options->Application Acess->Data Access->Read User data->Ask First Time Only

prandi said:
where to setup cache folder in phone??

YOu can put it in any folder you like. Just remember to change the path in the settings.

If you put it in the phone memory, you will have a significant increase in the speed of loading the maps.

ya dats wat i am asking where can i set it in settings page,,i dont c ne option where i can enter path!!!,,i have a sammy u800 so i had to install the older version(j700)

this works perfectly on my 6233. have the complete tiles for NCR including Gurgaon, Noida, Greater Noida, Ghaziabad and Faridabad (Google Maps roadview, hybrid and satellite)

sadly, the 6233 has low memory so have to disable enhanced scrolling.

otherwise, fantastic app.

cheers.

Hi there,

I was just following this procedure in this post to get some maps offline on my mobile and i cant get them to work.

Heres the info

Using Nokia 6288, black. Loaded with Map of Auckland city only from New Zealand.

recently upgraded the Firmware to the latest 6.43 version.

I have saved the maps on my memory card and the folder size was like 340mb or so. I have 1 gig memory card, so its all good. :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

So i installed the application and i can open it. And when i go into mymaps in settings - to select the maps ive uploaded, It says "Not Available - Google Maps".

So when the application is opened it doesnt show any maps, but i can zoom in or out and changed maps and so on.

Please help. What can i do?

thanks.

I am not sure whether the program itself will support such big files. If nothing works, just try to split the areas you wish to see into small parts and create tiles for that.
Also , are you sure that you are looking at the correct coordinates. Try to zoom out and see whether you are able to see any part of the whole world map.

groovy said:
Hi there,

I have saved the maps on my memory card and the folder size was like 340mb or so. I have 1 gig memory card, so its all good.

So i installed the application and i can open it. And when i go into mymaps in settings - to select the maps ive uploaded, It says "Not Available - Google Maps".

So when the application is opened it doesnt show any maps, but i can zoom in or out and changed maps and so on.

Please help. What can i do?

thanks.

mathew_p_a said:
I am not sure whether the program itself will support such big files. If nothing works, just try to split the areas you wish to see into small parts and create tiles for that.
Also , are you sure that you are looking at the correct coordinates. Try to zoom out and see whether you are able to see any part of the whole world map.

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded again a very small size of the Auckland map and now the size of the Mgmapscache folder is 3mb.

I still have the same problem.:(

So i open the application on my mobile and it asks for network access and i select NO.
Then once im in the program, the screen has background with " Map Tile not available, please zoom out" with a red CROSS mark.

So i completely zoom out pressing the * key and the image is still the same.

I have selected the maps from the memory card via the settings.

What am i doing wrong? Do you know if it can be done on the 6288? Could it be the unbranding/unlocking or anything like that?

Thanks.

Now . here comes my update after having the mgmaps installed on my nokia 5800.

The curious thing is that I had to go through my own post to see how to do the maps. :eek:hyeah:

I had the jar file installed and I generated the chennai maps once again from scratch with the same steps in the tutorial. This is just to see whether there is any trouble with the generation of the maps as some people in the forum has mentioned.

The offline map is working flawlessly. I am using the latest beta version.

I am yet to test with the GPS and other settings.

Hi!
I visited mGmaps .com and i saw that there r a lot of fresher versions of mGmaps than what you linked.

I have a touch-screen LG mobile and i wanted to ask you: should i use the new version, and if I do, i have to install and set it like you wrote it?

or I should use this older?

what's your advice?

garakak

groovy said:
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded again a very small size of the Auckland map and now the size of the Mgmapscache folder is 3mb.

I still have the same problem.:(

So i open the application on my mobile and it asks for network access and i select NO.

Then once im in the program, the screen has background with " Map Tile not available, please zoom out" with a red CROSS mark.

So i completely zoom out pressing the * key and the image is still the same.

I have selected the maps from the memory card via the settings.

What am i doing wrong? Do you know if it can be done on the 6288? Could it be the unbranding/unlocking or anything like that?

Thanks.

This has nothing to do with the size of the tile/folder. Can a data access permission error (provided you are sure that the maps you generated are fine). I hope you have enabled access to offline data in the java application permissions settings in your phone. If you can't enable it, you probably would have to hack your phone with the halmer/darkman certificate and self sign the app.

My map folder is >500mb and I don't get an error on my puny 6233.

garakak,

you should definitely use the newer version which will be more friendly and having a lot of bug fixes..

The maps will not be older as you are downloading the tiles directly from google maps.

Create the .map file, use the tool to download it.

Essentially the map file marks the area of the map in coordinates and then the tool you use will download the map images as tiles from google map itself.

Hope this helps.

garakak said:
and one more thing: if I use this version, maps will be older too, won't day?

garakak

Another option for offline maps on a java phone is GpsMid. It uses vector data rather than map tiles and thus allows for very compact storage, while at the same time allows you to zoom in and out to arbitrary levels and search for streets and points of interest. It even allows for turn-by-turn navigation. All completely offline and without any costs.

It also supports a cell-based localisation on some phones in case you don't have a GPS. which too does not need internet connectivity.

GpsMid has its own little converter program to convert the OpenStreetMap data into a mobile map, or you can use one of the prebundled maps.

mathew_p_a said:
Sure. you need to have the application certified using Halmer cert and you will need to install halmer cert into the phone.
This halmer cert can be used for any application. By using the certificate, you will get the "always allow" option for the application.

Try googling for halmer cert and follow the instructions. If you are having trouble, let me know and I will help you as much as possible.

Regarding the maps... just try to generated maps of your interest.. It seems that the memory stick has some weird problems sometime... :S

The procedure for using Halmer cert looks :(
Have a Nokia 5130XM, actually its my sis, so a bit afraid :ashamed: to do it!
Help pls
apmon said:
Another option for offline maps on a java phone is GpsMid. It uses vector data rather than map tiles and thus allows for very compact storage, while at the same time allows you to zoom in and out to arbitrary levels and search for streets and points of interest. It even allows for turn-by-turn navigation. All completely offline and without any costs.

It also supports a cell-based localisation on some phones in case you don't have a GPS. which too does not need internet connectivity.

GpsMid has its own little converter program to convert the OpenStreetMap data into a mobile map, or you can use one of the prebundled maps.

Even this would need Halmer cert

On their website
Permissions: Java 2 ME unfortunately has often a DRM policy, which only allows signed midlets to access certain phone features used in GpsMid. As an open source project, and with the data bundled into the jar, we however cannot offer signed versions of GpsMid at this moment

Finally got the maps to work! :hap2:

Here are the installation notes

Mobile GMaps - Download
4. If you are using nokia pc suite to transfer then - jad and jar (Installer) files should be named the same (Some s40 phones require that), so if the jad is named mgmaps_signed.jad rename it to mgmaps.jad before uploading installer file to your phone.
5. If u are going to transfer as data storage - then copy installer file and jad file (Remember both should have the same names).
6.Then select the application on the phone->Options->Application Acess->Data Access->Read User data->Ask First Time Only

It would be nice if the author could post these details on the First post itself

Added to the front page.
Thanks Ajay.
ajay387 said:
Finally got the maps to work! :hap2:
Here are the installation notes

Mobile GMaps - Download

It would be nice if the author could post these details on the First post itself

Back