Need help in purchasing a refrigerator.

@dexterz Can you share a closeup of the BEE rating?
Going to the shop now. Might finalise it today.
Idk about asthetics but maybe installing 3 120mm high cfm PC case fans acting as exhaust might help. RGB for bling ;)
They can be powered by an old 12v router adapter
Thanks for that idea... Thing is where should I put it. Like there's nothing to hold the fans if placing it near the compressor.
One option is to drill holes at the back of the wall at the bottom. Pretty sure, it wont't be appreciated by family members.

Thanks for that idea... Thing is where should I put it. Like there's nothing to hold the fans if placing it near the compressor.
One option is to drill holes at the back of the wall at the bottom. Pretty sure, it wont't be appreciated by family members.
Place fans near the top of the fridge, front side, as hot air rises to top. Don't place em near the compressor

@dexterz Can you share a closeup of the BEE rating?
Going to the shop now. Might finalise it today.
20220403_144011.jpg

@Kaleen Bhaiya @blr_p any idea on my stabilizer query? will i need to get a new one for 360L or will my current one suffice?

If you have fluctionations on a regular basis outside of the limit than what is prescribed on LG, then you need to get one.
If there are frequest power cuts, then its better to get one.
Btw, congrts on your purchase. It has LIC, Door cooling+, 3*. Everything what I was looking, except the size.

If you have fluctionations on a regular basis outside of the limit than what is prescribed on LG, then you need to get one.
If there are frequest power cuts, then its better to get one.
Btw, congrts on your purchase. It has LIC, Door cooling+, 3*. Everything what I was looking, except the size.
no fluctuations and have DG backup

View attachment 130766
@Kaleen Bhaiya @blr_p any idea on my stabilizer query? will i need to get a new one for 360L or will my current one suffice?
I don't use one as they said it was not necessary in my city. We used to have one with the older fridge.

I notice they extended the BEE label by 6 months, yours goes up to Jun 2022 the one on amazon expired Dec end 2021 :)

They also list your model as 2022 but if that was the case why did the test start at the beginning of Jan 20. This model is from 2020
The new fridge is here. The current stabilizer I have states its rated for up to 290L. Should I get a new stabilizer for this 360L or will the current one suffice?
View attachment 130760
I keep mine on a stand as my foot get jammed when opening otherwise

Attachments

• BEE_.jpg
    BEE_.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
So after much persuasion and logical arguments from the sales lady, I finally took the plunge and got LG GL S322SPZY refrigerator with gross volume of 308L and still taller than 324L from Sammy by 3 cm. The 360L bought by dexterz was out of my budget, 335L was going to take more space so had to get this The arguments were..
1. The smoothness in opening Sammy versus LG. Basically she was trying to portray LG's more firm while opening the door meaning rubber sealing is of good quality viz-a-vis Sammy. They were demo units so point could be questionable. Samsung felt too smooth indicating cheapness in sealing.
2. The compressor will still use the same power whether you turn off the freezer, fridge or convert freezer to fridge. Though questionable, didn't enter into debate with her coz I too was uninformed about this.
3. Sammy's front touch panel more prone to issue withing 3-4 years and heavy maintenance since it's based on PCB. I agree and reading the previous posts from adder in blp_r's thread also had me convinced that more work needs to be done to make the panel more resistant in challenging environments. LG on the other hand has a simple touch panel inside to avoid the issue of humidity, dust and heat causing issues with panel. I was convinced.
4. Samsung's slide in the FMCG segment viz-a-viz LG. The former is no longer the brand leader it once was and this decline has lead to LG occupying that place. I concurred with her since my initial search began with LG.
5. Also, LG doors were more thick and sturdy compared to Sammy. I am assuming this should help me with insulation and hence maintaining cold temperatures.
6. And last but not the least...NO FLORAL DESIGN!!! THANK GOD FOR THAT.

So what did I lose...
1. No more convertible features. It can still convert freezer to fridge, but that's about it.
2. While the entire ice-tray module can be removed in Sammy, in LG I can still remove the ice-formation tray and the collector box. The only thing that remains is the vertical stands which provide the channel for the tray, box. A reasonable compromise..
Now I am trying to find which amongst the two compressor has more savings. One thing I noted was that all models below 360L in LG were 2-star. Only the ones with LIC were 3-star which is a 360L purchased by @dexterz . Either BEE has made the norms more stringent, or firms have reached a saturation point or they just don't want to provide real power saving features in lower capacities. The last one makes sense as prior to 2019 or covid, LIC was available in 300L models. The price difference between 308L and 360L is 10k.

@blr_p @dexterz Do we need to call LG guys for the installation? My shopkeeper told me that after the fridge arrives, wait for 30-60 mins so as to allow the refrigerant to settle and then start using. No need to call the LG guys for demo. Did the LG guys come for demo in your case?

Any tips, pre-requisites on how to start using the fridge once operational. Should I clean the inside with a cloth dipped in a mixture of lukewarm water and lemon?

Last edited:
So after much persuasion and logical arguments from the sales lady, I finally took the plunge and got LG GL S322SPZY refrigerator with gross volume of 308L and still taller than 324L from Sammy by 1cm. The 360L bought by dexterz was out of my budget, 335L was going to take more space so had to get this
Post photo of the BEE label when you get it.

If you use two shelves instead of three it will be easier to put things in and out. Also has that shelf at the bottom of the door.

LG GL S322SPZY vents.jpg

Those vents face you instead of blowing sideways like mine has so you will have to take care not to block them.

The arguments were..

1. The smoothness in opening Sammy versus LG. Basically she was trying to portray LG's more firm while opening the door meaning rubber sealing is of good quality viz-a-vis Sammy. They were demo units so point could be questionable. Samsung felt too smooth indicating cheapness in sealing.
To check the seals open the fridge door a couple of inches and let it close. Watch the freezer door. A good seal will make it move too.

After nearly three years the gaskets on mine are more compressed. I don't see energy consumption going up though so the seal remains good.
2. The compressor will still use the same power whether you turn off the freezer, fridge or convert freezer to fridge. Though questionable, didn't enter into debate with her coz I too was uninformed about this.
It's the previous gen smart inverter. Good enough.
3. Sammy's front touch panel more prone to issue withing 3-4 years and heavy maintenance since it's based on PCB. I agree and reading the previous posts from adder in blp_r's thread also had me convinced that more work needs to be done to make the panel more resistant in challenging environments. LG on the other hand has a simple touch panel inside to avoid the issue of humidity, dust and heat causing issues with panel. I was convinced.
This I will discover in a few years. There is no salty environment where i live. In your case it might make sense to avoid it.
So what did I lose...
1. No more convertible features. It can still convert freezer to fridge, but that's about it.
2. While the entire ice-tray module can be removed in Sammy, in LG I can still remove the ice-formation tray and the collector box. The only thing that remains is the vertical stands which provide the channel for the tray, box. A reasonable compromise..
Now I am trying to find which amongst the two compressor has more savings. One thing I noted was that all models below 360L in LG were 2-star. Only the ones with LIC were 3-star which is a 360L purchased by @dexterz . Either BEE has made the norms more stringent, or firms have reached a saturation point or they just don't want to provide real power saving features in lower capacities. The last one makes sense as prior to 2019 or covid, LIC was available in 300L models. The price difference between 308L and 360L is 10k.
LIC is quieter. They say its 30% more efficient.

With the smaller fridges I think size may have something to do with it. More insulation in a smaller fridge means less usable space and that makes the smaller fridges less desirable or even less competitive with others.

The higher rated fridges used more insulation to save on energy which is more feasible with a bigger fridge.
@blr_p @dexterz Do we need to call LG guys for the installation? My shopkeeper told me that after the fridge arrives, wait for 30-60 mins so as to allow the refrigerant to settle and then start using. No need to call the LG guys for demo. Did the LG guys come for demo in your case?
I was told to wait four hours before i switched it on to allow the refrigerant to settle.

I had to call the demo guy who are in effect repair guys because there was a noise with my fridge. Like a buzzing noise. He removed the back and just pressed the pipe coming out of the compressor a little and the noise stopped. It's very silent after that. He tried to sell me a AMC for 3k which meant he would come every 3 months for 3 years to look at the fridge and clean it. I declined.

Pay attention to any noises that should not be there. My previous Kelvinator used to make a racket when the compressor switched on so i had no clue how quiet these fridges even ran.
Any tips, pre-requisites on how to start using the fridge once operational. Should I clean the inside with a cloth dipped in a mixture of lukewarm water and lemon?
When you install the fridge try to level it left and right. I had a spirit level that I used with the washing machine so this was easy. In your case fill a rectangular translucent container with water and draw a line horizontally across the centre. If the water is above the line at any point you know its not level.

Raise the front screws a little so the door closes on its own. Meaning when you open the door and release it should close on it own. If it does not then you have to raise the front two screws. This also has the added benefit of allowing the refrigerant to flow to the back more easily. I never knew this until I read the manual. With the previous fridge many times the door was not closed because some one forgot. This new fridges sound an alarm if the door is left open.

The downside of raising is any liquids that spill on the shelf flow towards the back and drain to the bottom, collect there and dry solid behind the vegetable drawer.. You won't notice it until you pull the bin out for a clean. A year later i had quite a few dried up milk deposits to remove there. They were touching the shelves and the fridge became noisier as a result. After a good clean it was fine.

Get a power meter so you can track energy consumption.

Last edited:
I don't use one as they said it was not necessary in my city. We used to have one with the older fridge.

I notice they extended the BEE label by 6 months, yours goes up to Jun 2022 the one on amazon expired Dec end 2021 :)

They also list your model as 2022 but if that was the case why did the test start at the beginning of Jan 20. This model is from 2020

I keep mine on a stand as my foot get jammed when opening otherwise
I'm not too worried about the the model year or the BEE label. I end up paying 4~5k per 2months for EB during summer.
So after much persuasion and logical arguments from the sales lady, I finally took the plunge and got LG GL S322SPZY refrigerator with gross volume of 308L and still taller than 324L from Sammy by 3 cm. The 360L bought by dexterz was out of my budget, 335L was going to take more space so had to get this The arguments were..
4. Samsung's slide in the FMCG segment viz-a-viz LG. The former is no longer the brand leader it once was and this decline has lead to LG occupying that place. I concurred with her since my initial search began with LG.
5. Also, LG doors were more thick and sturdy compared to Sammy. I am assuming this should help me with insulation and hence maintaining cold temperatures.
6. And last but not the least...NO FLORAL DESIGN!!! THANK GOD FOR THAT.

So what did I lose...

The delivery guy asked me to start the unit after 3~4hours to let the refrigerant settle. Amazon FAQ also states fridge as plug and play and brand will contact us only for Demo. It was delivered at noon and I switched it on at 4pm. Had to level the right foot as it was a bit wobbly at first.

The sales guy at croma also tried to sell the Sammy to me by showing how it closed. He closed it very hard and the freezer did not pop open. He did the same on LG and the freezer door opened for a split second before it closed. Then I noticed that while Freezer door did not open on the sammy, the main door did not close at all LOL. I told him I'll take LG where both doors end up closed rather than the sammy where it doesnt close at all.

The sales guy at croma also tried to sell the Sammy to me by showing how it closed. He closed it very hard and the freezer did not pop open. He did the same on LG and the freezer door opened for a split second before it closed. Then I noticed that while Freezer door did not open on the sammy, the main door did not close at all LOL. I told him I'll take LG where both doors end up closed rather than the sammy where it doesnt close at all.
So the store sammy unit had a misaligned door. Unbelievable !!!

What good are the gaskets then :sorry:

Still not clear what exactly he was trying to demonstrate there. Closing the door hard only weakens the gaskets in the long run.

You want the door to close on its own gently and seal well.

Last edited:
Post photo of the BEE label when you get it.
It was 2 star at 265 units, atleast on the demo unit. Expecting the same, will post pic for your reference.
Just see the gap between the shelves. Awesome. This will be easy to put things in and out. Also has that shelf at the bottom of the door.
Yeah, the gap is big for easy access and removal. Also, shelves on LG are have more depth than those in Sammy by 2 inches. 12in(Sam), 14in(LG). Also, that shelf at the bottom means I won't crib about that vacant space going wasted. So does putting cucumber there helps? It needs warm environment and I am assuming that bottom space would be warm hence increase lifespan for cucumbers.
I was told to wait four hours before i switched it on to allow the refrigerant to settle.

I had to call the demo guy who are in effect repair guys because there was a noise with my fridge. Like a buzzing noise. He removed the back and just pressed the pipe coming out of the compressor a little and the noise stopped. It's very silent after that. He tried to sell me a AMC for 3k which meant he would come every 3 months for 3 years to look at the fridge and clean it. I declined.

Pay attention to any noises that should not be there. My previous Kelvinator used to make a racket when the compressor switched on so i had no clue how quiet these fridges even ran.
The reason I don't want to do on my own is, should any item be missing(happens rarely) or any fault, wierdness, the demo guy will look after it. Companies have become more stringent these days and they say if you want to setup, do it at your own risk!
So it means I have to call LG and ask for installation. Oh well!! Deja vu with washing machine. :rolleyes:
This also has the added benefit of allowing the refrigerant to flow to the back more easily
This is also done when installing the indoor unit of AC. The Ac is tilted by .5,.6 degrees so that condensed water flows through the drain pipe easily.
Get a power meter so you can track energy consumption.
Yup. Already have a Wipro power meter which I use to monitor consumption for my existing fridge. Also have the spirit leveller.

So does putting cucumber there helps? It needs warm environment and I am assuming that bottom space would be warm hence increase lifespan for cucumbers.
Cucumbers like to be stored at 10-12 degrees C. That's the warmest part of the fridge. Around 8 by my measurements. Using a thermostat setting of 3 degrees in the fridge.

I leave them unwashed in the paper bag they came in. Lasts about 1-2 weeks tops.

The reason I don't want to do on my own is, should any item be missing(happens rarely) or any fault, wierdness, the demo guy will look after it.
Don't count on it. I had to ask the guy whether the noise was normal. He did not pick it up on his own after watching the fridge for over 5 minutes.

Because demo means he does not get paid. Had i not noticed the sound before then i'd have had to schedule a visit with a charge.

Installing it is not hard. They will leave it where the the old fridge was. Once it powers on, listen to it and watch how it works. You had an earlier fridge so you will notice differences immediately.

The demo guy is there to check the install was done properly and the fridge as delivered is fault free. They give you some form to sign. Just browse it as it has a list of checks he must do and tell him to do it if he has not.

Last edited:

What good are the gaskets then :sorry:

Still not clear what exactly he was trying to demonstrate there. Closing the door hard only weakens the gaskets in the long run.

You want the door to close on its own gently and seal well.
He was trying to demonstrate that Samsung door was better than LG but it backfired on him. I told him I preferred one where both ended up closed even if freezer opened momentarily rather than the Samsung one which required to be closed twice. Think he broke or weakened the door trying to demo this multiple times.
Cucumbers like to be stored at 10-12 degrees C. That's the warmest part of the fridge. Around 8 by my measurements. Using a thermostat setting of 3 degrees in the fridge.

I leave them unwashed in the paper bag they came in. Lasts about 1-2 weeks tops.
This thread feels like a college elective. Art of Refrigeration 101. I did not know there were so many factors in getting a fridge.

The delivery guy asked me to start the unit after 3~4hours to let the refrigerant settle.
So the delivery guy got it unboxed it and installed it for you till plug point?

What good are the gaskets then
Could be a misaligned door, but I have a theory. As Samsung wants to sell this twin cooling+ based refrigerators badly, they ask every seller to show the effectiveness of the pressure sealing by banging the doors hard. In this, both have separate pressure zone, independent of the other. So banging the fridge door hard shouldn't open the freezer door. He showed the same to me yesterday and thrice. That's one customer. Imagine how much beating that door takes when different customers come in everyday. Somewhere something must go lose.
Or it could be that Samsung must have cheaped out on the gasket as was demonstrated to me by the LG sales lady. Hence the ultra "smoothness" when opening Sammy doors.

Atleast I won't have to stuff multiple cucumbers now to avoid them getting shrinked :D Thanks for the paper bag tip.
Had i not noticed the sound before then i'd have had to schedule a visit with a charge.
Wait!! Why would you be charged for something which is faulty? Would they still charge you if you complained that your fridge is making weird noise after installation and within warranty?
This thread feels like a college elective. Art of Refrigeration 101. I did not know there were so many factors in getting a fridge.
Heh!!! Similar comment from a friend last year when I got a new washing machine on another forum. He said he could easily do majors in washing machine with that thread running upto 10+ pages and all the gyan oozing. :D
Lol... I forgot we also have a thread here on washing machine where me and @blr_p discussed at length on how to get the maximum from the machine.

Last edited:

Could be a misaligned door, but I have a theory. As Samsung wants to sell this twin cooling+ based refrigerators badly, they ask every seller to show the effectiveness of the pressure sealing by banging the doors hard. In this, both have separate pressure zone, independent of the other. So banging the fridge door hard shouldn't open the freezer door. He showed the same to me yesterday and thrice. That's one customer. Imagine how much beating that door takes when different customers come in everyday. Somewhere something must go lose.
Or it could be that Samsung must have cheaped out on the gasket as was demonstrated to me by the LG sales lady. Hence the ultra "smoothness" when opening Sammy doors.
Yep. He unboxed it and placed it in designated spot. We connected it to power after 4hours.

They did that for me. I would not leave it in the box. You want time to see and hear it working before you call the demo guy.
The temperature dials in your fridge turn a vane inside the fridge that either sends more or less cooled air into the fridge or freezer. That is how temperature is regulated.

There are no separate airflow channels so I don't understand why this would be different in a sammy.
Atleast I won't have to stuff multiple cucumbers now to avoid them getting shrinked :D Thanks for the paper bag tip.
Storage temperature (and humidity for some produce) matters more than the bag.
Wait!! Why would you be charged for something which is faulty? Would they still charge you if you complained that your fridge is making weird noise after installation and within warranty?
A visiting charge yes. Rs.600 odd for LG if I recall, just to come over to visit. Not for the fix if within the warranty period. I've not had to do it but this is what I would expect.
Heh!!! Similar comment from a friend last year when I got a new washing machine on another forum. He said he could easily do majors in washing machine with that thread running upto 10+ pages and all the gyan oozing. :D
Lol... I forgot we also have a thread here on washing machine where me and @blr_p discussed at length on how to get the maximum from the machine.
I'm surprised at the amount of things one needs to know to have a machine that will at least make it to ten years. When i lived abroad i knew none of this as the apartments i lived in always came with a fridge and there was a common area with coin operated washing machines. Once you live in your own place and have to buy these things its a different matter. The worst experience i find is with AC's. There are so many cases where the installation was badly done and no one knows better. That is what free install means. It's an incentive to get you to buy. They find the cheapest guy to do the job. I'd rather pay for that and be assured the correct job was done at the start.

This knowledge isn't widely known by any stretch. On this board people like to geek out so its common to talk about these things. The appliance business is full of meaningless buzz words and loads of nonsense.
If you shop many times a week you don't have to worry about storage.

Last edited:
If you shop many times a week you don't have to worry about storage.
We buy fresh produce every few days. We live in suburban area surrounded by smaller farming areas so fresh greens every other day. Its mostly milk, nuts, idli/dosa batter,pickles and spices that occupy space. Veggies and fruits are restocked regularly

The difference between fridges in the low tens (so 300-340L) and in the high tens (>350L) is height. The shelf space seen from a 2D perspective of length x depth is the same for your fridge at 308L vs the 360L. The only difference is more height clearance between shelves. To get more wider requires to jump a 100 up. Some people use this argument to save money as they say shelf space is the same so why pay more. Convenience and ease of use. My choice between a 437 vs 471L was about that only and i'm glad I spotted it before pulling the trigger.

Your 308 does not have that circuit board on the top but at the back. The 335 and 360L ones have it so i guess that's an advantage in salty air.

Do you feel like you got a new fridge ? what differences do you notice between how it works and the one you had.

^That is the sort of thing to look out for before demo guy shows up. Not normal.

Last edited:
Back