Need help in purchasing a refrigerator.

My Samsung 20 y.o. has been giving me issues, mostly pertaining to leakage and thermostat getting stuck hence unable to regulate the temps. We have already repaired it last year by adding a new compressor, changing the thermostat and others. Don't see the point in spending more on repairing it.
I will be looking for ~260litres capacity. Mostly Samsung or LG. More leaning towards Samsung because of their good looks.
I have higher preference for LG but their models look so dated. :( Also it seems LG has given dated design to ones with convertible feature which is a feature I am looking for since we don't use freezer that often.
This is LG, similar in design to Samsung, but non-convertible.
Most of these models are of year 2021. When do they release the new models, particularly 2022.

Get one with a digital thermostat. When you set a temperature it should be in C/F and not some setting 4-5-6 on a dial

A freezer with a light. With LG min sizes that have that are 400L or more. The sammy's give the feature in the 300s.

Not essential but good to have.

Lighting in the fridge should be top lit as opposed to side or back lit. Less glare and easier to find things.

One of things i miss in my fridge is separate compartments for fruits & veg. They store better at different humidity. Veg likes high and fruits prefer lower.

Always better to see in a shop as you can gauge height better that way as well as placement of shelves.

Why not consider something bigger. Think of it as an upgrade. You can never have enough space in a fridge considering that max loading is 70% ;)

More height between shelves so a taller fridge makes it easier to work and less time bending.

Last edited:
The current dimensions for any fridge to fit in is 174(H)x84(W)xX(D). The value for depth is variable, but lets keep it at 70. The fridge and washing machine face each other, so Anything beyond 65cm would be bothersome to work with fridge and the machine. Dimensions are in cm.
Cannot go beyond the 300l range given the space constraints. Also, narrowing down between these two because I want a good ASS. Gone are the days when electronics were meant to last. So I consider these claims of lasting 21 years (VDE rating for Sammy) as BS. Atleast my experience with current Sammy proves otherwise even though I bought it before this marketing gimmick. Hopefully if someone can comment if Samsung has improved its quality of products over the years or, that would be great. For me, it has been average as I got it in 2004.
Get one with a digital thermostat. When you set a temperature it should be in C/F and not some setting 4-5-6 on a dial
The would leave LG out of the equation. Also, I am not sure how reliable the PCB will be given that I live in highly humid area and salty, hence chances of corrosion or failures are more. Another issue is availability of parts at a later stage. My sammy compressor conked off in 2021(it was underperforming prior to that) and because there was no equivalent compressor available, I had to settle for one from LG. And after that my thermostat has broken down twice. It could either be new compressor not playing nice with the other peripherals causing them to damage or the quality of thermostat used is questionable. My guess is the former.

Lighting in the fridge should be top lit as opposed to side or back lit. Less glare and easier to find things.
I think modern fridge these days come with lighting at the top than at the rear end, that too with led instead of the conventional luminous bulb. My uncle recently got a sammy refrigerator and I observed the same.
One of things i miss in my fridge is separate compartments for fruits & veg. They store better at different humidity. Veg likes high and fruits prefer lower.
This calls for space, something more than 300l to have such a provision.
Why not consider something bigger. Think of it as an upgrade. You can never have enough space in a fridge considering that max loading is 70% ;)

More height between shelves so a taller fridge makes it easier to work and less time bending.
In LG the range available between 200-300l is only 260 and 284l. While in Samsung options include 245, 253, 265, 275l. The thing is power consumption for higher volume. While I agree that having extra space won't be bad when there are more members, and increased height means less bending, hence the need to get Convertible model. My Dad's primary reason for getting a new fridge is the existing one consumes a lot of units. Also, while inverter will save, how much will be savings, I am not sure. Also, it seems LG has pushed the Linear Inverter series to higher priced models than what it was 2 years ago. How is your experience with your new fridge you got some 2-3 years ago? I know, it's super silent, primarily due to Linear motor, having only two friction points.
Go for something with Copper motor , it will last longer .
Aren't most compressor copper based given that it has the best heat exchange capacity? How to find out if the motor is copper or any other material based?

Copper is expensive than Aluminium , Aluminiums conductivity is less than that of copper , so copper is more efficient . To compensate, aluminum magnet wire must have larger cross-sections than the equivalent copper wire to offer the same conductance. Hence the size of the motor is bigger , there is no easy way to identify the type of Wire used in the motor , most manufacturers advertise there product to be 100% Copper , however very few uses it , fe companies like , hitachi , lloyd , lg etc uses copper , you have to trust the Brand or else have to perform a physical inspection of the connector wires , the Aluminium would be white or Silvery and the copper would be Reddish Brown ..

Last edited:

Attachments

• vdyVm.jpg
    vdyVm.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 98
My Dad's primary reason for getting a new fridge is the existing one consumes a lot of units. Also, while inverter will save, how much will be savings, I am not sure. Also, it seems LG has pushed the Linear Inverter series to higher priced models than what it was 2 years ago.
Posted about it here a while ago.

How much does your fridge consume presently ?

How is your experience with your new fridge you got some 2-3 years ago? I know, it's super silent, primarily due to Linear motor, having only two friction points.
It's been good. Need to give the fins at the back a clean some time.

From Oct-Dec when I kept at medium settings, average 4 units/day. During winters Jan-feb, around 2.5 -3 units a day at lowest setting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220312-201544.png
    Screenshot_20220312-201544.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 82
From Oct-Dec when I kept at medium settings, average 4 units/day. During winters Jan-feb, around 2.5 -3 units a day at lowest setting.
That is very high. It should be at most a quarter to third of those figures. What state are your door gaskets in ? soft or hard.

So let's find you some energy efficient candidates

Select frost free from the menu. Don't think you want Direct Cool models.

Then click (select all) in each scroll menu :rolleyes: until you reach the bottom where the star ratings are than go with 4 or 3 and you will get a list

No 5 star models available in any size. These are the 4 star ones

Just six in your size preference. More in the 3 star category

Oh! and 1.5 - 2x whatever figure they quote for per year electricity consumption to get real world consumption.
The current dimensions for any fridge to fit in is 174(H)x84(W)xX(D). The value for depth is variable, but lets keep it at 70. The fridge and washing machine face each other, so Anything beyond 65cm would be bothersome to work with fridge and the machine. Dimensions are in cm.
Cannot go beyond the 300l range given the space constraints.
With those dimensions you can fit a 335L fridge.

If you can increase the height from 174 to 178 even the 471L i got will fit. Why do you have a height restriction ?

Attachments

• 4 star fridges small.jpg
    4 star fridges small.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 81
  • LG 335L.jpg
    LG 335L.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 4 Star Rating List Mar '22.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
What state are your door gaskets in ? soft or hard.
The freezer ones are a bit hard, the fridge one is still a bit soft. Nevertheless, I still need some effort to pull both of them, meaning that the suction is quite effective is not allowing cooler air to leak out.
It seems none of the 4* models are now available. Most of them were from the 2020 series and it's quite obvious they shifted the efficient ones to the higher capacity/ price bracket. So it seems I need to stick with 3* for now.
Why do you have a height restriction ?
There's an entire shelf which restricts from going further top.

Also, I am not sure how reliable the PCB will be given that I live in highly humid area and salty, hence chances of corrosion or failures are more.
This is an extra complicating factor.

From what i could tell LG's in the 300-500L range have the circuit board outside and sticking out on the top. The ones smaller or larger have the board inside somewhere. Might offer more resistance to corrosion.

Another issue is availability of parts at a later stage.
Available for ten years after launch i was told by the fridge demo guy.
It seems none of the 4* models are now available. Most of them were from the 2020 series and it's quite obvious they shifted the efficient ones to the higher capacity/ price bracket. So it seems I need to stick with 3* for now.
That may be the case with online sellers only. Ask at your local stores they might be able to source them.

Last edited:
The more and more I dig, the more I feel Samsung seems like a better alternative despite me wanting to try LG. For the same net volume in both, LG seems to have a little higher gross volume than Samsung. This will be crucial when going for higher capacity, given the space constraints. Also I need to visit the stores to get an idea whether 265 or 275 litres will suffice or not. Anything above 300 lit. will be very large.
Also, Amazon is showing models whose energy certification has already expired in Dec 2021 :( . The only exception I was willing to make is for a linear IC in LG, provided it is available.

I have a similar model close to your requirements from LG. Model: GL-T292RSDX
It is currently out of stock/obselete, but the closest match available online is https://www.amazon.in/LG-Refrigerator-GL-T292RPZX-Convertible-Compressor/dp/B06XYR66LM The only change is the design/color.

I bought this in July 2017, and this being 4-star, the energy consumption is very less, and is quiet. Also the PCB is placed behind the refrigerator which is covered with a cap fixed with screws. The cap inside has a foam kind lining on its boarder to prevent moisture or any creatures going in. So I guess you should be ok with the humidity around, but it doesn't harm to occassionally clean the internals.

On a similar note, most(atleast recent) inverter model compressors from reputed makes like LG, Samsung are always copper wound. Generally speaking, no one can see the coils inside compressor since the compressor will be hermitically sealed. Makers can still put alluminium inside and connect with copper wires to the external world, but I rarely noticed it. I've seen couple of compressors internals as a part of my job. So be assured on the copper part of the compressor.

And do not stress much about the Liner Compressor, it is overrated IMO.

I can help with any dimensions if you need for the listed model.

Could anyone with a wattage metre tell me how much do these 4/5 star fridges of modern day consume on per hour basis? I am holding on to a 35+ y.o Alwyn one, which never gave any problem but it consumes like 110W/hr. So wondering whether the modern day ones are actually electricity saving. And I don't care for large ones, need something small.

The more and more I dig, the more I feel Samsung seems like a better alternative despite me wanting to try LG.
Warranty terms for Samsung vs. LG ? isn't Samsung just 5 years vs. 10 with LG

If you managed 16 years with the present Samsung maybe that isn't much to convince you.

For the same net volume in both, LG seems to have a little higher gross volume than Samsung. This will be crucial when going for higher capacity, given the space constraints. Also I need to visit the stores to get an idea whether 265 or 275 litres will suffice or not. Anything above 300 lit. will be very large.
The difference won't be as much as you think. To perceive large add 100L+

You can fit a 335L LG into that space. Bigger is always better. The extra running cost is insignificant.

Also, Amazon is showing models whose energy certification has already expired in Dec 2021 :( . The only exception I was willing to make is for a linear IC in LG, provided it is available.
The linear compressor is more efficient and quieter. LG's older gen compressors will be cheaper. It's just a question of having the latest tech. Previous gen is not bad.

But it means no digital thermostat which could be compensated for with 3rd party thermometers.
Could anyone with a wattage metre tell me how much do these 4/5 star fridges of modern day consume on per hour basis? I am holding on to a 35+ y.o Alwyn one, which never gave any problem but it consumes like 110W/hr. So wondering whether the modern day ones are actually electricity saving. And I don't care for large ones, need something small.
Compared my 48yr Kelvinator with the new LG fridge.

The new fridge is twice as large yet consumes half the units per day as the old one.
I bought this in July 2017, and this being 4-star, the energy consumption is very less, and is quiet.
Have you measured the power consumption ? how many units per day does it consume in your present use

It's presently rated as 2 star with closest equivalent i could find LG GL-T292RSDU

The thing with these BEE ratings is they lose stars with time so for a 2017 model this is normal.

Here is a 253L Samsung that averages 0.78 units per day

Last edited:
Have you measured the power consumption ? how many units per day does it consume in your present use

It's presently rated as 2 star with closest equivalent i could find LG GL-T292RSDU

The thing with these BEE ratings is they lose stars with time so for a 2017 model this is normal.

Here is a 253L Samsung that averages 0.78 units per day
I'm unable to locate the data that I recorded earlier. I have set the watt meter again this morning, and I will keep this thread updated with the information. For 1 hour, it consumed 0.08kw.

But like you said the BEE ratings get derated over time. Essentially if a maker goes to the BEE insitution and say the newly made fridge consumes less power, and present the data, it gets better star, and as a result the existing models' star rating will come down. But point to be noted is their consumption whatever is recorded on the product label stays the same almost.

The con side of this improvements is increase in dependency/complexity on electronics. For instance, there will be a fan for circulation which prevents frosting. This fan consumes around 6w, and is of type single phase induction motor. Now most makers are targeting to make it BLDC to bring down the power consumption. The con side of this is increased electronics to drive the BLDC motor, and as a result cost involved. Likewise makers go for alternate electronic spares to bring down the losses in inverter bridge.

Warranty terms for Samsung vs. LG ? isn't Samsung just 5 years vs. 10 with LG
Both have 1 yr comprehensive and 10 yr on compressor.
If you managed 16 years with the present Samsung maybe that isn't much to convince you.
My use with Samsung hasn't been smooth. I guess, it worked well for the first 10 years. Then occasionally, had to top-up gas, change the thermostat. The compressor was already under-performing but I didn't bother to check it since I didn't use the freezer much. The in 2021, there was no cooling. First the technician(3rd party, local) said its a gas issue. Then he said its a compressor issue. Then after using it for some time the thermostat wouldn't function and leakage issue. So replaced it and now again same issue. Mind you, the compressor from LG is solid, I mean even at lowest setting I can barely hold any utensil taken out from fridge for more than 5 seconds. Hence, my inclination towards LG due to this reciprocal compressor.
I also found that in Samsung I don't have to open my fridge to adjust the temps. Also looks are minimalistic(not a factor). One good thing in Lg is they have the copper pipes running through the water tray at the rear which will absorb the heat and evaporate the water. Samsung just places the tray above the compressor.
You can fit a 335L LG into that space. Bigger is always better. The extra running cost is insignificant.

For me, the more concern is the depth and width than height. I already face space issue while loading, unloading my laundry but manageable since I pushed the fridge towards the wall. But then, I am not leaving enough room for air circulation to keep the compressor cool. While both have a depth of 67cm(somewhat manageable), the width on LG(58cm) is slightly less than Samsung(60cm). With my current fridge(56cm width), I cannot open the door beyond 95degrees(as there is a wall to the right). So this is one issue. Another one is the cost. Not looking to spend more than 25k. For a family of 3-4 later, I cannot justify 335. Hence the hesitancy.

I still have to go through your old thread, so more questions will be coming. For one, are you sure the smart inverters are still running on reciprocity based ones?

Back