MTNL Mumbai reduces 1 mbps UL Tariffs to 999

sri_k said:
need some replies from those using 512kbps UL,whats the max speed you get while D/L?is there any downtimes?also will i be given free wireless router even if i subscribe to their UL plan?

For 512 kbps plan you can expect an ideal download speed of 512/8 = 64 kBps but in general your download speed will be bit below this and will ocassionally jump too for short periods/

Downtimes - MTNL as per my experience has very limited downtimes so do not worry on that front.

Free wireless router - I suppose their website does mention that montly CPE charges are NIL for UL connection. Even i do not pay any rent for the router (IIRC).

While MTNL might have brought more reasonable value to internet access in Mumbai-The Monopoly that is BSNL makes its subscribers suffer- by charging to the hilt AND UN-ECONOMICAL PRICES throughout India. I have to pay Rs. 1400 per month for 512 kb ps connection- which actually gives me-.42 Mb/s DL. Unless the goverment of India steps in and makes BSNL charge reasonable rates, for access to an essential commodity like Internet- India will not be the shining star- it aspires to be. BSNL and its masters- the Minister of Communications- reduce rates for Internet access and Increase speeds Tenfold.

The problem is as u people might be knowing BSNL were the first to give 256 kbps for 600 or 700 something At that time we used to pay 1200 for the same but many used to get 2 mbps speed due to government workers noobness

Now MTNL wants 20 lakh(2 million) connections by this year end(heard its somewhere around 5 lakhs) so that they can bid for something(might be 4G i dont know properly)..Hence they are on ramp..Else i dont see somme similar stuff coming up for BSNL...The more the delay of BSNL ipo takes more the time it will take to merge MTNL and BSNL

As we know it was about to happen on 31st december but this got delayed but still we wont complain

To all who complain about BSNL being expensive in comparison with MTNL.

All ISPs are in business to make money and not for charity. Two factors decide pricing; the cost of providing the service and competitive pressure. MTNL has a cost advantage because of customer density in Mumbai/Delhi. This means that it actually costs them far less than BSNL to provide the service. Moreover, since the same advantage is available to their competitors, the competition will also price their product lower in high population density areas.

Think about it.

Emil said:
To all who complain about BSNL being expensive in comparison with MTNL.
All ISPs are in business to make money and not for charity
Last I heard , BSNL was state owned and on the governments priority list , consumer welfare should be higher than the profit motive .

manu1991 said:
Last I heard , BSNL was state owned and on the governments priority list , consumer welfare should be higher than the profit motive .
They also get government subsidy and are supposed to be on par with MTNL in costing to consumers.

Mine also upgraded(earlier used to show 1mnps unlimited now shows dsl 1599 plan) will downgrade from next month(to save 600 buks)so will call them tomorrow

Just hopped onto DSL Unlimited 999 from DSL NU :eek:hyeah: will miss the 2mbps speed but, finally wont have to wait till 10 in the night to download :hap2:

Is it possible to get mtnl connection without any phone tariff in mumbai ? Don't want to apply a landline along with broadband.

Since the 849 NU plan is not available for new customers anymore, I am assuming that the upgrade to the 1Mbps UL is a one way street.

raksrules said:
For 512 kbps plan you can expect an ideal download speed of 512/8 = 64 kBps but in general your download speed will be bit below this and will ocassionally jump too for short periods/

Downtimes - MTNL as per my experience has very limited downtimes so do not worry on that front.

Free wireless router - I suppose their website does mention that montly CPE charges are NIL for UL connection. Even i do not pay any rent for the router (IIRC).

thanks mate..so finally i can take the plunge...:)

Awesome news, just saw this thread. :)

I hope its implemented in Delhi soon as well.I am currently on 512kbps UL plan here in Delhi for 999 pm.

I was about to switch to Airtel for their 1299 1mbps UL plan in a few months , but after reading this I might wanna hold onto my decision. :D

Back