MTNL Mumbai reduces 1 mbps UL Tariffs to 999

joy1 said:
Awesome news, just saw this thread. :)

I hope its implemented in Delhi soon as well.I am currently on 512kbps UL plan here in Delhi for 999 pm.

I was about to switch to Airtel for their 1299 1mbps UL plan in a few months , but after reading this I might wanna hold onto my decision. :D

Dont switch to Airtel!!! FUP :|

rapt0r said:
Is it possible to get mtnl connection without any phone tariff in mumbai ? Don't want to apply a landline along with broadband.

Landline is a nust u can get a connection on only incoming telephone line...but u must have a telephone connection

sri_k said:
@raksrules...whats with 6hour disconnection thing with mtnl?:huh:

Sorry...didn't get you :S

Ok guys...so i have faced the axe now....in short...lost the glory days of pumped up speed.
My hitherto 384 kbps speed after doubling by MTNL is now...

Earlier because of goofup i used to get 1.3 Mbps :ashamed:

raksrules said:
Sorry...didn't get you :S

Ok guys...so i have faced the axe now....in short...lost the glory days of pumped up speed.

My hitherto 384 kbps speed after doubling by MTNL is now...

Earlier because of goofup i used to get 1.3 Mbps :ashamed:

Came across a thread where a member mentioned that mtnl has some 6hour disconnection everyday...don't know what the member meant?:huh:

MTNL disconnection can happen under one of the following circumstances

1. When a call is received and we pick the phones

2. When we pick the phone receiver.

3. MTNL line problem. This happens in my case where while i am using the net, it shows "Network cable unplugged" and then again shows connected, all in a matter of 3-4 seconds.

Now this thing has a problem with HTTP downloads(sans download manager) but with torrent i dont face any problems, just that nothing would be downloaded for that time and will start connecting to peers again after reconnection.

raksrules said:

Now this thing has a problem with HTTP downloads(sans download manager) but with torrent i dont face any problems, just that nothing would be downloaded for that time and will start connecting to peers again after reconnection.

I have highlighted my doubts in bold...why would line get DC,this isn't dial up?:huh:

^^ There is no thumb rule and the said thing MAY happen and not everytime will cause disconnection but it is sort of common issue with MTNL as well as BSNL. My friends in Pune using BSNL also complain about this.

I suspect the disconnection rate may be high when there are split / parallel lines at one's home. At least in my case the point where modem is connected i do not have a splitter or anything and other phones are connected on other parallel lines.

sri_k said:
Came across a thread where a member mentioned that mtnl has some 6hour disconnection everyday...don't know what the member meant?:huh:

I had mentioned it here once.
http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-electronics/smart-power-strip-123655.html#post984383

It is not a 6 hour disconnection. The connection resets every 6 hours. So, if you check the session logs the maximum time for any single session will be 6hours.
That post is old and I had the "Night Unlimited" plan so had to check the session times.

If you have an unlimited plan then you need not worry about the session reset. I am not even sure if it happens now. The only side-effect of this session reset is that you might be assigned a new ip-address, which is helpful if you are downloading from rapidshare or similar sites. Torrents, download managers continue as if nothing happened.

This can be an issue if there are multiple phone lines and instruments all over the house. MTNL reccomends that the first connection be given to the ADSL modem and the line split after that be used for the rest of the connections. This might reduce interference due to call receiving/dialing.
In most of the houses the modem does not receive the first line which is the case with me too, not much disconnections here though.
If the disconnections are causing too much problem, I'd suggest geting a wireless modem and connecting it to the first line before splitting.

vahss_11 said:
I am confused, which one should I go for , currently I am having 849 NU, please guys help me in selecting correct plan for heavy DL plan.

stick with this plan, Value for Money man, even i have this and speed is full throttle at any given time ;)

rapt0r said:
Is it possible to get mtnl connection without any phone tariff in mumbai ? Don't want to apply a landline along with broadband.

have a incoming only line which is 150 bucks, me too has same option, 150 + 849(NU) total bill sums upto 1.1K or something and thats pretty sweet deal...

I can only hope that MTNL Delhi doubles the speed as well. But they seem to be ignorant about what MTNL Mumbai is doing.

I guess Mumbai and Delhi MTNL work like different companies. No sync about the other company offerings.

I doubt that Delhi will get the same speeds / pricing!

What is the minimum possible landline plan available in Mumbai to be able to take broadband? Is there any way we can take prepaid lifetime incoming landline or something and then take the broadband plan along with it?

Also, what's the total upfront payment for installation and activation and other things? I believe the modem is rental free for unlimited plans and Rs 300 is for activation, however it's not very clear in their website.

Back