Browser Wars 2009 !

@Boot Comp: Flame bait, indeed.. :p But I'm not falling for it. Rather, I'd advise everyone to try Opera once before writing it off.

Here are some of the features of Opera that I love:

1. Mouse gestures
2. Notes option
3. Excellent tab management features
4. Less resource hungry
5. Inbuilt torrent client and download manager

There are quite a few other features that make Opera indispensable to me. I know, firefox has add-ons for all of these, but more add-ons makes the already resource heavy FF, even more worse. And when I get all these features inbuilt in OPera, I know nothing else will replace it. :p

hp-india said:
@Boot Comp: Flame bait, indeed.. :p But I'm not falling for it. Rather, I'd advise everyone to try Opera once before writing it off.

Here are some of the features of Opera that I love:

1. Mouse gestures
2. Notes option
3. Excellent tab management features
4. Less resource hungry
5. Inbuilt torrent client and download manager

There are quite a few other features that make Opera indispensable to me. I know, firefox has add-ons for all of these, but more add-ons makes the already resource heavy FF, even more worse. And when I get all these features inbuilt in OPera, I know nothing else will replace it. :p

Too tempting, will try opera tonight. How about downloading files between firefox and opera? which is faster.

SenthilAnandh said:
Too tempting, will try opera tonight. How about downloading files between firefox and opera? which is faster.

The basic download managers that come with FF and Opera compare almost similarly.. But FF has add ons like downthemall, which significantly increase its download speeds. AFAIK, Opera doesn't have a specific add on like this, but I use Orbit downloader for the same.. it integrates well with Opera, FF and IE.
In short, vanilla versions of both compare similarly... But with add-ons, FF scores this one.. :)

Lord Nemesis said:
As for Safari, it might as well be removed from the poll considering that even most full time Mac users don't bother with a crap shitty browser like Safari. The first thing we do at office after a fresh OS X install is to get Firefox and replace Safari with Firefox on the Dock. I am indeed surprised that it even got one vote.

I know you were gonna come up with this BUT thats BS at its best.

FF on a mac is just hideous.
Most seasoned Mac users prefer Safari due its uncomplicated and streamlined UI.

Macinstein said:
I know you were gonna come up with this BUT thats BS at its best.

Yup and hackers love safari very very much you know. Because it can be breaked in seconds. :eek:hyeah: :rofl:
Dude every one knows safari s*cks

firefox 3 basic w/o extensions or anything. never had any prob with FF and cant see why i wanna change :)

Although i use IE8, Have always had a soft corner for Opera:cupidon:

Keep switching between IE8 and Opeta, occasionally using Chrome now and then.

Would like to use Safari 4 more often, but the Top Sites Update feature messes up my New Posts bookmarks. Anyway to disable Safari from checking whether the site has been updates? Would use it more often if i could make this change. Also, hate the close tab button on the left hand side. For heavens sake Apple, this is Windows. When in Rome, act as Romans. You have changed the UI and color scheme. Can we have a change in the close button position too?

Macinstein said:

Firefox (Mac) is still far better than Safari though it still does not compare to the quality of the Windows version of Firefox. My office is filled with seasoned Mac developers and testers and I am yet to see anyone use Safari seriously other than for testing.

Leave Safari running on the machine for a day and it takes up a shitload of memory and you have to quit the browser to be able to use it again. This was something that even Firefox does, but I have run Firefox for months without closing the app before it became unresponsive. Page loading speed is also inconsistent on Safari, sometimes it very fast while other times its quite slow. Its also quite unstable when dealing with third party plug in's like flash. In fact for some reason, Safari used to crash quite often when loading our CVS web interface (CVS was on a Linux Server) from the Intranet. There was nothing non-standard about the page and it works fine in all other browsers, but crashes Safari.

I am always tempted to use opera due to show images/no images option :bleh: and could never swith over to any other browser :eek:hyeah:

lol this thread is funny,people with 4gb ram complaining abt ff3's memory usage.

Firefox used to be memory hog, but not anymore...currently i have 14 addons n more than 10tabs open and ff3 uses only 95mb ram.

I like Opera too, especially the ini based config options. I am an ini freak. I hate FF due to its memory hogging nature but can't do without it as no other browser simply serves my purposes

20090320221059.jpg

sigh. waiting since v1.1 for something better to come out.

i am even thinking of moving FF to its own dedicated partition. its fragmenting my programs partition.

I've been using Opera for a long time and got very used to it, so it remains the primary browser for me, for the other occasions when I need some of the FF's plugins to get things done, I switch over.

Chrome and Safari are nice as well, though I dont find anything worth switching to them, as of now.

1)Opera
2)Firefox
3)Chrome/Safari

Hardwares these days is fast, ram is cheap don worry! Enjoy!

FaH33m said:
Ive been using Firefox for a long time .:D

the endless list of add-ons. makes it a really good browsing experience.

but lately my Firefox 3.0.7 has become a total resource hogger.

no matter how many tweaks i try, it eats up 125- 150 mb with just 3-4 tabs open.

it starts up with just 20mb and ..suddenly jumps to 100mb+

tried resetting settings,clearing private data etc . nothing works :(

.as of now it really doesnt bother too much with 4GB of ram..but still need to do something about it.

thinking of switching to some other new options like .Google Chrome, heard it's good ?

Chrome is faster than FF anyday. I can feel it on GPRS easliy. The only problem i faced with chrome is that u wont be able to see trader rating & wont be able to rate a rig :mad: It doesnot give the options to do. Check now :p

Switch said:
QFT

I am trying Chrome for the very same reasons.

Back