HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

between the samsung 32c630 lcd and 32c5000qm led, which one is more value for money? the difference between their prices is just 3k (led being higher)

pratikb said:
1. Budget.up to 55000-60000
2. Viewing distance.5-8 feet
3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.---dth
4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. led tv
5. Preference for brands.phillips/lg
6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? no
7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.moderate to well lit room.
8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.hdd support.
hi guys,
i am looking at philips world cup offer which gives 4 yrs warrenty and 4 yrs of dth .
which model do i go for?
am confused about panel quality and want to know your view on philips.

kindly guide me.

Take a look at the 42PFL3505. This display seems to have replaced the previous year's 42PFL5609 although there are only 2 HDMI inputs. Has an IPS panel.

Cannot comment on the LG displays.
magesh said:
Need suggestion regarding LCD's TV for my home.
I am getting it from Dubai, price is around 20 to 22k. I have read last few pages in this topic and finalized the below two
Samsung LA32C530 and LG 32LD650.
The above two models seems to be more or less same, but LG have the advantage of
1.TruMotion 200Hz over Samsung's 50 Hz Motion Plus
2.IPS - Advanced LCD Panel over samsung's panel lottery system
3.DLNA Certified
4.Costs 2.5k lesser.
I hate ghosting.
Just want to know which is better, will be buying in two days.
Thanks in advance.

1. Don't care about the motion interpolation. It has turned into another marketing gimmick these days with every other manufacturer posting these bloated figures. LG's 200Hz tech. is as good as Philips 60Hz tech. Do not judge by the sample video being shown in the outlets - they have been made to distinctly differentiate the slow video with the usual motion clip. Switch to a sports channel and see it for yourself instead.

2. A majority of the LA32C530s sold in India has the SPVA panel - one could say almost no panel lottery here! And I've found the SPVA superior to IPS panels.

3. OK. Not a biggie anyway. Most displays retailing these days are.

4. Tried bargaining for the Samsung display?

Ghosting is barely noticeable on present gen. HDTVs irrespective of the panel technology used. I've tried MW2 on my present display that has a spva panel and couldn't notice any ghosting issues.
Justinâ„¢ said:
1. Budget : 1 Lac

2. Viewing distance : 10 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. : Airtel HD, PS3 and a Sony Bluray Player

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. : Preferably LED

5. Preference for brands : Sony or LG

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? : No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. : Quite bright but can be controlled.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. : Confused a bit about 3D, but I don't think having it will make any difference to me. Not having it will be actually better.

9. Size : Considering 46-47". Might be a bit large, but still. Saw some 52-55", like LG Infinia, loved them, but I think they are a bit too big for 10 feet. Even 46" will be considered big for such viewing distance, but don't wanna go below this.

Also, I can wait a month before making a purchase. Although, it won't be preferred by my family, but it won't hurt as new models might appear. So if there is some particular model which is being launched and might interest me, I am willing to wait.

Justin, have a look at the Sony 46EX520. It has everything you have asked for minus the 3D support. The newer XRPE is improved over the previous gen. BE3.

A member just got hold of a 40 incher EX520 and we shall hear from him shortly. :p
sufyan86 said:
got a quote of 36k for 32 " c630.is that a good price?
Seems OK'ish to me. Where are you located? Please refer to the prices given at Compare India and have it sorted location wise.

Satan said:
eBay: Deal of the week

Sony CX530 (Full HD) for Rs. 28,500.00
Dealer's Warranty :(

eBay India: BRAND NEW SONY BRAVIA 32" KDL-32CX520 LCD TV WITH BILL (item 180646318086 end time 06-Apr-2011 07:30:00 IST)

What do you guys think?

I'm looking for a standby TV till the newer 55" models come out mid year.

Also posted here
Dealer warranty is as good as getting it from grey market. :)

If you run into issues, Sony India wouldn't touch the display. And you will be left at the mercy of the dealer.

How about telling us what the requirements are? We shall guide you suitably. If it's just a 32incher full -hd display you are looking at, just get the Samsung 32C530. Guaranteed SPVA panel.

Thanks a lot gannu. One last query. Should I wait sometime as many people told me that prices will fall in this month only as a lot of new LED models are coming in?

Thanks a lot gannu. One last query. Should I wait sometime as many people told me that prices will fall in this month only as a lot of new LED models are coming in?
Sony has already renewed the lineup for this year so there are no changes. As for Samsung, within June end the newer models should kick in so if you could wait until then, it would be good.

Gunny, what's the absolute best price you think I an get on the 32c530?

Someone on eBay has it listed for 30k with Manufacturer's warranty, Wall mount & Free delivery across India.

Also I can't seem to figure out the difference between the 530, 550 & 590.

530 retails for somewhere near the 29~30k mark. You can haggle a bit.

C550 - C530 + ethernet port at the back + bezel changes (slightly thinner) + jacked up contrast ratio + additional HDMI port

C590 - C530 + better sound (BS IMO) + bad bezel

Comparison link

One question...

Anybody bought sony LeD from grey market in Bangalore...

In other words, where do you get grey market sony leds in Bangalore, Anybody have any experience..?

Gannu said:
1. Don't care about the motion interpolation. It has turned into another marketing gimmick these days with every other manufacturer posting these bloated figures. LG's 200Hz tech. is as good as Philips 60Hz tech. Do not judge by the sample video being shown in the outlets - they have been made to distinctly differentiate the slow video with the usual motion clip. Switch to a sports channel and see it for yourself instead.

2. A majority of the LA32C530s sold in India has the SPVA panel - one could say almost no panel lottery here! And I've found the SPVA superior to IPS panels.

3. OK. Not a biggie anyway. Most displays retailing these days are.

4. Tried bargaining for the Samsung display?

Ghosting is barely noticeable on present gen. HDTVs irrespective of the panel technology used. I've tried MW2 on my present display that has a spva panel and couldn't notice any ghosting issues.
Thanks for the reply mate. You helped me out of the dilemma.
I have one more doubt. If I buy a 32" in 5 series, the quality of picture will be same in 40" in same series i.e. other than size there won't be any difference in picture quality.
Thanks in advance.

^If it is the same panel within the same series, there should be negligible difference if any.

Guys just a headsup but the stocks of the Samsung LA32C530 seem to be getting over and Samsung will launch their 2011 LCD lineup (albeit with fewer changes) due this June. If anyone is looking to pick up a good 32 inch display with a confirmed SPVA panel, grab this LCD quick before the stocks are depleted! Costs ~30k give or take a couple of 100 bucks.

^U are absolutely right!

There are very few shops which have a running stock of the C530!! Btw almost all shops in Bangalore do not have the 6 series Samsung LCD TVs..

Just got a c530 yesterday :) Thanks for the help Gannu!

Oooh, oooh, Gannu! Do me!

Grease Monk said:
1. Budget: 40k - 45k

2. Viewing distance: 8 - 10 ft

3. Sources: HD-Rips either from DNLA or Network attached Media Player. Occasionally hooked up to a PC. May possibly hook up a PS3\X360 in the future, but unlikely.

4. LCD\LED\Plasma: LCD or Plasma

5. Preference for brands: None, as long as PQ is good.

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market: Yes, please feel free to suggest grey prices of more expensive TV's within my budget.

7. Ambient lighting: No direct source of light in the room. Only highly diffused, reflected light from a chute to the left and behind the TV. Minimal chance of reflections unless (white) lights are turned on. Not too concerned about this. Light is easily controlled in this room.

8. Additional Features: Nothing in particular apart from Full HD. If DLNA not present or less user friendly\flexible than a dedicated media player, I will pick the latter up.

I'm particularly interested in hearing the grey prices of various 40" screens and associated recommendations. Although I can easily fit in the 32" models in this budget, I'm interested in the real estate offered by a 40", but they seem to be tough to come by in this price bracket, hence the interest in the grey option.

Grease Monk said:
Oooh, oooh, Gannu! Do me!
:ashamed:

Hey check out Burma Bazaar for the prices of the Sony 40CX520. This model replaces last year's EX400 - a very successful model. The newer one has the XRPE - which is much better than the BE 3 when it comes to SD upscaling and delivering HD videos. The blacks are slightly warmer in comparison to the Samsung displays - some may like this and some may not. A 40 incher should be a notch above your budget via the grey market route.

Plus, invest in a voltage stabiliser. They do not tolerate spikes although they can operate from 110~230V!

I was reading all this discussion on best 32" LCD TV ( quality+VFM) on this forum.
I am confused on one thing, If the broadcasting quality in India is currently 720P/1080i for some selected channel only ( and expected not to go upto 1080P for some 5-6 years, and adding to the fact that for 32" tv we cannot differenciate 1080 vs 720P) is it worthwhile to get 530/550/590 and not 350/450 for an increment of 6-7 k).
Adding some other points I also plan to buy Playon HD media player with the TV in some time as none of the tv in the market play all the hd collection i have with me ( I mostly download 720 P material ). So USB connectivity not required, don't need extra hdmi port as don't have PS/xbox). contrast ratio is one factor which I am not sure.
So what do you suggest 32" 530/550/590 or 350/450 with playon HD media player ?
Any sound quality difference between these ?

frodo said:
If the broadcasting quality in India is currently 720P/1080i for some selected channel only ( and expected not to go upto 1080P for some 5-6 years, and adding to the fact that for 32" tv we cannot differenciate 1080 vs 720P) is it worthwhile to get 530/550/590 and not 350/450 for an increment of 6-7 k).

As of today, none of the broadcasts (over-the-air specifically) uses 1080p but 720p or 1080i encoded with MPEG-2 owing to insufficient bandwidth and the costs involved for streaming them. Besides, other than the DTH services, when the display is used primarily for viewing HD content, there is a visible difference in the perceived PQ depending on how far you are seated from the display. A good 720p encode however, makes it far less obvious. So I'd ideally advise you to pick up a full-HD display considering the difference is minimal and that HD ready displays are on the verge of being phased out.

frodo said:
So what do you suggest 32" 530/550/590 or 350/450 with playon HD media player ?

Any sound quality difference between these ?

A C530 with the AC Ryan POHD would be the best of both worlds IYAM. Although the C530 plays a majority of the formats you'd throw at it, there are still some of those the TV cannot play. .rmvb and .m2ts for instance.

As far as sound quality difference goes the LCD has a pair of decent speakers onboard - nothing earth shattering but sufficient for daily viewing if you do not have a set of external speakers. SQ wise LG takes the lead from both Sony and Samsung.

Budget <=30000 INR

Viewing distance - 14 Feet (i know ull tell me 42", Not possible)

Sources/inputs - Airtel DTH (non HD) and DVD Player

Preference - LCD/LED

Preference for brands - Any good brand which offers good after sales service (Any Big Brand!!! Sony Samsung LG Panansonic)

Willing to purchase it from the grey market - NO!!!

Ambient lighting conditions of the room - Dunno How to explain :p
Window is in the east(not exact, more 2wards South), but more than moderate sunshine. Need to lit 2 tubelights @ night though

Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities - Waise toh bahut kuch chahiye!
USB Must. I see Skype Enabled TVs? Possible Under my Budget?

and
SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR SPORTS !!!! I LOVE FOOTBAALL!!!!

Thank You!!!

Budget 50-60k

viewing distance - 12 feet

sources - Xtreamer - tata sky

prefrence -- Have heard abt LG LED 42LE5300 VFM at 55k

Grey Market - No

Pls advise if the above has any flaws or if I can get a better tv for 60k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back