Dell XPS 15 Vs New Dell XPS15(Sandybridge)

Hi,
Atlast i've got my configuration. Please find my configuration below.

My dell configuration

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee(R) Security Center - 15 Months Version
DISPLAY 15.6" (39.6cm) HD (1366x768) WLED display with TrueLifeâ„¢
MEMORY 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB)
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
VIDEO CARD 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M graphics with Optimus
AUDIO SOLUTION Internal High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio with SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio
BATTERIES 9 Cell Primary Battery
WIRELESS NETWORK CARD Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 with Bluetooth v3.0+HS
KEYBOARD Dellâ„¢ Backlit Keyboard (English)

Total cost: 57275/- (with disc, i may get lesser)
My Max Budget:52 to 54K

My Laptop Purpose:
Programming(I extensively use eclipse IDE for my tasks), Music and Movies (a lot :)) and some times if felt bored, i want to play games(Not BIG) too.

I have few doubts on highlighted items.
i) Is it worth Mcafee 15months version for 954Rs(By default i'm gettin 30days trial version)? Or Its better to buy licensed version in the market or online. If so, What will be the cost?

ii)Is it worth SoundBlaster X-Fi for 478Rs? I think this is for enhancing sound. I dont know much about this. Does this makes difference if i buy laptop without this? or is there any alternative which enhances sound experience?

iii) Are there any next gen processors/or anything going to release soon. If so tell me. I will drop to buy this one as i dont want to loose my money this time. :S

iv) Are there any item that can add to this config?

iv)Last but not the least, Is this laptop suitable for my purpose or is there any other one which gives same features with less price:p?

Waiting for your warm replies or suggestions....:)

dont go for x-fi,if u r not connecting it to a 5.1 or 7.1 system..

For listening to laptop speakers stock card is good, believe me i'm using x-fi

9 cell battery..is it not an inconvenience when using it on lap..the earlier 9 cell battery on dell i saw 3 yr back seemed less user friendly.

though the new one looks smaller in pics, any suggestions..even i want to go for 9 cell and am about to place an order very soon..

Lap is the worst place to keep your laptop. Close to the nether regions. 2nd worst is bed/couch directly in contact with the bottom.

the 9 cell version atleast creates a gap on the bottom surface.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pauldmps said:
Upgrade the GPU & screen rather than upgrading sound-card & a bloat Antivirus. There are better free alternatives than McAffe.
^^ This. Preferably check out the laptop first at a store. See if you like DELL's WLED screen. I had a Dell Studio 1555 some time back and the screen was good not great. I'd upgrade the screen to B + RG, but check out the laptop first if you haven't.

Programming so 720p WLED screen will do... I have similar requirements and have an XPS L501X and can tell you its just awesome..
Eclipse runs great(64Bit one) and I can compile 2-4 Programs at once with ease

pauldmps said:
Upgrade the GPU & screen rather than upgrading sound-card & a bloat Antivirus. There are better free alternatives than McAffe.
Thanks buddy. I can upgrade the GPU but not screen, as its crossing my budget. I think for my purpose, the default screen is enough. As per ur suggestion, i will stop adding x-fi soundcard and Mcafee antivirus. But how can i get licensed versions of antivirus s/ws?

skaluva said:
Thanks buddy. I can upgrade the GPU but not screen, as its crossing my budget. I think for my purpose, the default screen is enough. As per ur suggestion, i will stop adding x-fi soundcard and Mcafee antivirus. But how can i get licensed versions of antivirus s/ws?
If you want free anti virus then you can download Avira Antivir personal or Avast. Pretty decent ones.
Else you can get paid ones like the likes of Kaspersky for ~Rs.260 for 12 months period from TE dealer's section or ebay or even from local PC stores!

http://www.techenclave.com/time2sho...ernet-security-genuine-activation-184586.html

http://www.techenclave.com/time2sho...ernet-security-genuine-activation-184586.html

Please find my updated config:

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee(R) Security Center - 30days trial

OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability

As per your suggestion, i will install licensed antivirus after getting laptop. Any other suggestions?

Few doubts:

i) Cant' we upgrade GPU later? If its not possible, i will upgrade it now.

ii)I'm hearing some other brands like ASUS, Sony in some posts. I think those are a bitt lesser in cost compared to DELL. How are they? Dont they provide these features?

1. Laptop GPU cannot be upgraded later.

2. Sony CB series laptops are pretty decent. Do not get the older Sony models, their build quality sucks. No idea of Asus.

Check out the ASUS N53SV. It has better specs than the XPS you have selected and will also stay within your budget. But do note that the keyboard isnt backlit. As for the build, its good because I am using its elder brother, the N53SN and its solid.

Hi guys,

Most reviews voting for Dell L502x laptop. So i want to go for this one.

My final configuration:

SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee(R) Security Center - 30days trial

i) The bolder ones are i added instead of default ones.

ii) As i'm not much into gaming, i want to go for default GPU.

iii) Coming to antivirus, im going with default 30days trial version and later i will install Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast or the gud one which you suggest.

Forgot to mention, i got my money back from Dell. So I'm going to order this in couple of days:).Thanks for all your suggestions.

skaluva said:
Hi guys,

Most reviews voting for Dell L502x laptop. So i want to go for this one.

My final configuration:

i) The bolder ones are i added instead of default ones.

ii) As i'm not much into gaming, i want to go for default GPU.

iii) Coming to antivirus, im going with default 30days trial version and later i will install Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast or the gud one which you suggest.

I'd suggest go for the FHD display. It's totally worth the money spent and if possible ditch the 6GB and go the whole hog of 8Gigs if you really need it. Else fall back to 4Gig. I don't feel too comfy looking at the 4+2 config.

sarang said:
I'd suggest go for the FHD display. It's totally worth the money spent and if possible ditch the 6GB and go the whole hog of 8Gigs if you really need it. Else fall back to 4Gig. I don't feel too comfy looking at the 4+2 config.

But FHD display is crossing my budget.:( (my max budget is 55k). Cant we upgrade to 8GB later if i keep 6GB, as there is no 4GB choice for this config in dell site?

skaluva said:
But FHD display is crossing my budget.:( (my max budget is 55k). Cant we upgrade to 8GB later if i keep 6GB, as there is no 4GB choice for this config in dell site?
Choose the base model with i3 and 4GB RAM. Then upgrade the proc to i5 in the customization page.

always-shri said:
Choose the base model with i3 and 4GB RAM. Then upgrade the proc to i5 in the customization page.

Just to know, Is it not advisable to keep 6GB ram? Why either 4GB or 8GB? Could anyone please clarify?

If you have 6Gb then it will be = 4Gb in one slot and 2gb in other .

If 8 = 4 Gb + 4gb .

Say , A year from now you want to upgrade then if you have 6gb then you have to remove that 2gb and buy a new 4gb one.

xtremevicky said:
If you have 6Gb then it will be = 4Gb in one slot and 2gb in other .

If 8 = 4 Gb + 4gb .

Say , A year from now you want to upgrade then if you have 6gb then you have to remove that 2gb and buy a new 4gb one.
Ok. Got it. Thanks for the info.

Back