Dell XPS 15 Vs New Dell XPS15(Sandybridge)

skaluva

Disciple
Hi,
I've recently placed an order for Dell xps15(core i5,1GB NVIDIA Graphics, 500GB, 4GB RAM). It costs me around 54K. At that time, i dont know about sandybridge processors which are going to release very soon.

Recently i came to know that sandybridge processors were released. But my laptop is under progress. Now im in dilemma whether to cancel my order and order for new one with sandybridge processor. Or its ok continuing with earlier one.

When i call customer care, they can cancel the order but they charge 1800 rs and refund the remaining amount and again i need to order for new one.

Which one is best? Going for new one or continuing with old one? Does XPS15 without sandybridge processor has really bad results?

I think it can be bargained for the charge of 1800/-, since you are again ordering for a Dell XPS only (you could bring it on to them saying that they did not inform you that product line with 2nd gen processors would be up in a few days and you could order then but they were interested in finding Bakraas for their stock clearance...)

But if they do not agree, it would still be worth it. Sandybridge processors have 50-70% overall performance gain as compared to their nehalem/westmere counterparts.

It's not that the 1st gen core processors are bad, it's like the 2nd gen core processors are really, Really, REALLY GOOD! :eek:hyeah:

Sandy bridge processors are way better than the older series. Just tell them u want the new processor and not the older one. so ask them to replace it... If they dont just let it be and cancel ur order and get the sandy bridge laptop...

Happened same in my cousin's situation. They didn't charge anything and gave him new series. When you call them, if they don't agree, tell them to route your call to higher officials.

Thanx for the replies. My budget is max 55K. Just now i called dell care. They are saying both processors dont have major differences. You can go ahead with existing one. That too my laptop is in production. I may receive it in a couple of days. They are saying its not possible to cancel the order now. I donno what to do.

@OP

You should've asked in this forum before ordering a laptop. We would've suggested you to wait.

Anyways, there are three reasons which I can give you for going for a Sandy-Bridge processor instead of the older ones:

1. Substantial improvement in performance

2. Improvement in battery life

3. Better resale value (you laptop will be of the current generation & not the past one)

Hi Guys,

Bad luck. Dell person just called me, they delivered laptop to me. It going to reache me by EOD. I donno what to do. When i ask that person, he is saying its not possible now. I did a mistake without browsing first. I wanna cry now..

Yeah, waiting for the new SB processors would have been the most logical thing, now that it's done...try calling them up, explaining it to them...1800 is comparatively less compared to 5k you're investing, IMO, you should cancel the order.

Is it possible to return the laptop and order for new one even after i receve the laptop? I think im gonna receive laptop by EOD.

Yes it is possible you can retrun the laptop within 30 days from the date of receiveing the laptop.

Please read the dell return policy @http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/policy/en/in/tsp?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=gen

i have worked at a dell call center...the best bet is that you call up and take one guy by the scruff of the neck and ask to be connected to the manager/floor supervisor....when you talk to this guy......tell him that either he does what you say or he will drag you and the company to court...say that you are from a media company...dont name the company,...and you should get your replacement at no extra cost.....just try and be firm bro!!!

Guys.. how bad luck person i am... by the time i went to home, my brother opened it already. Now, i cant do anything just going with existing one. From this i realized one thing, without gathering much information , v should not buy electronic items. Thanks to all for all your replies with good information.

^^ Lesser bad luck, more of ignorant I'd say. No offence meant, but couldn't you warn your family members not to open the box ?

Still you can return it but they may charge you some more.

As far as gaming is concerned, SB processors are 0% faster in most current games and in some cases you may experience 5-20% performance gains for the same clock frequency. For other things you may experience a 10-30% difference in performance in the most extreme CPU intensive cases.

They don't even come close to 40%+ performance leave alone 50/70% performance increase!

Back