Windows 8 - Feedback thread

^NO NO,download the upgrade assistant and input this promo code there,it will reduce the price to 699 and then you can buy and upgrade.the promo code isn't an all out key code.cheers.you are on win 7 so just get the promo code from me or oracle and download upgrade assistant as i said before,input the code,price will be reduced to 699 and you will be able to buy win 8 pro and upgrade,the process will be automated i suppose(and you won't get the option to even choose the partition on which win 8 installs).

Will PM you..give me a while. Sure.

get the upgrade assistant from here : Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

FROM MS :
Redeeming a special offer

If you have an offer code you need to make sure that you enter it to receive the promotional price. When you are on the purchase screen, it will show the full price. However, on the order confirmation page you'll have a chance to enter your promo code then the price will change to reflect the offer promotional price once you click Apply.

the offer code above is the promo code we have been talking about.you will have to input the promo code in the order confirmation page as it says above(in windows upgrade assistant),cheers.already PM'ed you the code.have fun upgrading!!

Windows 8 is irritating and cumbersome.. its very hard to modify, reach settings and try stuff we want.. all the options are scattered helter skelter.. its practically a locked in system.. the start menu is for people who grew up with android in their laps.. not for people of xp descent.. xp was awesome in terms you could change the entire os to your liking.. win 7 was slightly harder but nonetheless it was possible.. this crap is seriously hard!! try turning off options you dont need

microsoft have destroyed windows 8.. literally this is vista all over!!

Who in their right of mind would made a touch related smartphone version of an OS for desktop??? why.. why.. whyy!!!

Windows 8 is irritating and cumbersome.. its very hard to modify, reach settings and try stuff we want.. all the options are scattered helter skelter.. its practically a locked in system.. the start menu is for people who grew up with android in their laps.. not for people of xp descent.. xp was awesome in terms you could change the entire os to your liking.. win 7 was slightly harder but nonetheless it was possible.. this crap is seriously hard!! try turning off options you dont need

Who in their right of mind would made a touch related smartphone version of an OS for desktop??? why.. why.. whyy!!!

It's all about accepting the change mate. I am sure u and other guys are more knowledgeable than me but I can say one thing for sure that this is REFRESHING. It would take you maximum of a week to adjust to this. And if u r facing so much issues why not add start button and get back to oldies.

P. S : I have both 7 and 8 in my laptop. I thought that I would use 8 only when I won't be working. But it's been days since I have used win 7 :).

^ It's evolution my dear friend. Even a few months back, no one would have thought that touchscreen on a normal laptop will be worthwhile. But most of the people who have invested are pleasantly surprised that it works. From what I see, it will be weird not to have a touchscreen monitor a few years later.

From the review HP Envy TouchSmart Ultrabook 4 review | The Verge

A TOUCHSCREEN ON A LAPTOP IS MORE USEFUL THAN YOU’D THINK! The Envy's hinge isn't particularly robust, so you wouldn't want to actually pick up the 3.98-pound laptop by its screen and use it like a tablet. Still, you can most definitely place your forearms on the palmrest and put one thumb on either side of the display for quick multitasking, or reach out and stab Windows 8's Live Tiles with an index finger on occasion. Surprisingly, the best reasons to use the touchscreen aren't either of those, though. It's scrolling and zooming, which are so much more intuitive and responsive on the screen than with either the touchpad or keyboard.

Windows 8 is a grand experiment - maybe similar to Vista. Windows 9 will probably be a lot better. But, not even a single person can deny that except the GUI, it is a step in the backward direction like Vista was from XP. It boots faster, has so many tiny yet vastly improved enhancements ( like the new Task Manager, File copy progress dialog etc.) and will finally provide a single ecosystem across tablets, hybrids, laptops and desktops. I can pay the price for convergence - which at the end of the day is simply getting used to the new Start screen.

i agree with you guys that it needs some burn in time... but seriously i am getting pissed off with it...
Now explain to me this..
1. how many monitors in todays current world are touch??
2. how many of those do we get in india?
3. how many of these can actually people(middle class folk, not gannu bhai ;) ) afford?
4. finally who keeps touching the screen for start menuand then use a keyboard for the rest??

if you answer these questions you guys will see how obsolete Windows 8 is..
Even if they make affordable touch monitors, you actually believe people will upgrade just to use windows??

just because we dont have touch monitors today, you think we whould never have touch based operating systems? and perhaps never have touch based monitors? with your logic we need to stick with older technologies and never move on. touch is for windows store apps, not just start screen.

Do you know how many mice where there when Windows 1.0 released? Practically none and way lesser than the number of touchscreen devices today. Your comments remind me of what people said in 1985 regarding mice. In fact, let me quote what some experts predicted in 1985:

• “Mice are nice ideas, but of dubious value for business users” (George Vinall, PC Week, April 24, 1984)
  • “There is no evidence that people want to use these things.” (John C. Dvorak, San Francisco Examiner, February 19, 1984)
  • “I was having lots of fun, but in the back of my corporate mind, I couldn't help but think about productivity.” (George Vinall, PC Week, April 24, 1984)
  • “Does the mouse make the computer more accessible, more friendly, to certain target audiences such as executives? The answer is no.” (Computerworld, October 31, 1983)
  • “There is no possibility that this device will feel more comfortable to the executive than the keyboard. Because of its ‘rollability,’ the mouse has the aura of a gimmick…” (Computerworld, October 31, 1983)
  • “The mouse and its friends are merely diversions in this process. What sounds revolutionary does not necessarily help anyone with anything, and therein lies the true test of commercial longevity.” (David A. Kay, Datamation, October 1983)

I don't need to mention that Windows 95 was ridiculed for the "childish" Start menu, and XP was slammed on launch, etc. It's about vision, and looking to the future. Time and time again people have been left behind by clinging on to the past.

Besides, you are also conveniently ignoring that the Desktop is not just there but vastly improved over 7 - much more than 7 was improved over Vista. You can easily ignore Metro if you so wish, the only difference will be that instead of Start Menu you have a new Start Screen which is by the way much better in most ways and much more configurable. Like I said earlier in this thread, you can pin not just apps but also settings, folders, etc. The Search is way better. It is so good that I have stopped using Explorer! Looking back I feel like an idiot for using that goofy pop up menu to launch programs, the Start menu is a relic which should be condemned to the past.

Even if you have a touchscreen, the point of Windows 8 is not that you just drop everything and suddenly use only touch. It's about giving user the choice for using the best tool for the job, something Windows has always excelled at. The perfect example is Microsoft Surface, which is the signature device for Windows 8, notice how it went into great lengths to integrate not just touch but also keyboard and touchpad. (with option for a mouse using the USB port). Touch is great for a lot of things, but horrible for typing, which is why you need a keyboard. Mice are clumsy to use for most things but for precision use it is better than touch, which is why you use mice. But it doesn't end there, Windows 8 has awesome handwriting recognition, and Kinect for Windows is bringing in gesture driven Minority Report style interfacing.

You have to use Windows 8 on a touchscreen to believe it. I defy you to use it and not be delighted by it. And then later instinctively try to touch non-touchscreen monitors and look foolish for it.

I could go on and on, but my only advice is - Windows 8 is the future of computing. Embrace it or you will be left behind.

Finally, Windows 8 is a bold new step forward into the future. It is a version 1 product and in my opinion far more mature than where OS X 10.1, iOS (then iPhone OS) 1 and Android 1.0 were at launch. It will only get better, and in the short term it will get better very significantly very fast.

just because we dont have touch monitors today, you think we whould never have touch based operating systems? and perhaps never have touch based monitors? with your logic we need to stick with older technologies and never move on. touch is for windows store apps, not just start screen.

Seriously man you have not understood the point.. touch monitors are years away.. not like ddr4 which will be released soon.. by the time it becomes affordable they will take some more years. by the time people upgrade to it in large nos some more years..

You dont understand the plain fact that monitors are things people keep for ages.. further touch monitors are delicate, something our indian environment does not agree too.. Im not saying advancement is good but i am saying forcing advancement which is not even available is stupid!!

Finally my question again.. Will you upgrade to a touch screen just because you want windows 8?? answer that mama.. :) forget others.. how about you?

My say is that all the improvements could be made keeping the win 7 outlook!! could it have not!! Then why change it to something that is almost non existent in india.. classical example... Bulldozer which was flouted for the future in terms of multitasking.. Why was it ridiculed??

how are touch monitors years away?if anything,they are years closer now...,anyway to everyone who is opposed to win 8,i say-if microsoft had not embraced the touch system and went the usual route for win 8,then hypothetically i think ms could not have put up a fight against ios and android for the tablet market,and ultimately when every market would have "fused" probably they would have been ousted till then,would you rather suffer from the start menu,or have no windows(in future) at all?OFC this is my way of thinking about it,and i may be wrong.do you want to see MS struggling like amd?that would be a dark day for me

M$ is trying to built an ecosystem where there will be a tight integration of the devices running the same OS and i don't think that M$ is the first one to do it ,it's just like what Apple did with it's devices like Iphone and and Ipad years ago. Same is the case with the microsoft they are doing it now after years with their windows phones and their surface tablet. The windows store is still in an alpha stage and there needs a lot of dev base to support which is what just microsoft is trying very hard from the past couple of years. It is the right step in the right direction.

i agree with you guys that it needs some burn in time... but seriously i am getting pissed off with it...
Now explain to me this..
3. how many of these can actually people(middle class folk, not gannu bhai ;) ) afford?
4. finally who keeps touching the screen for start menuand then use a keyboard for the rest??

Even if they make affordable touch monitors, you actually believe people will upgrade just to use windows??

touch monitors are years away..
Maybe you need to start window shopping to keep up with the times.
Most of the all in one computers we get now are touchscreen monitors. Prices start upwards of 20k which is affordable by most middle class who stay in cities.
All in One Desktops: Buy Personal Computers, All in One Computers at Best Prices in India Only at Flipkart.com
The Dell All In One Touch Screen Computer | Dell India

This is what I feel. Microsoft has taken a bold step with windows 8. Touch based os and devices are already here. People buying new will surely buy touchscreen based pc's.
I have no doubt, Apple will copy Microsoft and probably the next version of iOS for apple's computers would be touch based.

Is anyone else facing issue with ATI catalyst on Win8? Most of the options in ATI Catalyst Control Center are not available. It also leaves an 1 inch black border on my monitor.

Guys, has anyone of you installed windows 8 on an HP laptop till now? please tell me its very urgent and important. Were you able to do it successfully or not?

Now explain to me this..

I am assuming you are aged > 20. You really think that you will be the target consumer after say, 3-5 years? No. The target consumers will be the kids who have been using touchscreen tablets, touchscreen phones, touchscreen ATMs etc since they were born. For them, it will be as natural as it for you to use a non-touch monitor.

Secondly, don't take names. It is quite rude. Everyone works hard and spends their money as they want to.

It is not about touching the screen and using the keyboard. Please don't tell me you think that is all Windows 8 is about.

Do you know how many mice where there when Windows 1.0 released? Practically none and way lesser than the number of touchscreen devices today. Your comments remind me of what people said in 1985 regarding mice. In fact, let me quote what some experts predicted in 1985:

• “Mice are nice ideas, but of dubious value for business users” (George Vinall, PC Week, April 24, 1984)
  • “There is no evidence that people want to use these things.” (John C. Dvorak, San Francisco Examiner, February 19, 1984)
  • “I was having lots of fun, but in the back of my corporate mind, I couldn't help but think about productivity.” (George Vinall, PC Week, April 24, 1984)
  • “Does the mouse make the computer more accessible, more friendly, to certain target audiences such as executives? The answer is no.” (Computerworld, October 31, 1983)
  • “There is no possibility that this device will feel more comfortable to the executive than the keyboard. Because of its ‘rollability,’ the mouse has the aura of a gimmick…” (Computerworld, October 31, 1983)
  • “The mouse and its friends are merely diversions in this process. What sounds revolutionary does not necessarily help anyone with anything, and therein lies the true test of commercial longevity.” (David A. Kay, Datamation, October 1983)

I don't need to mention that Windows 95 was ridiculed for the "childish" Start menu, and XP was slammed on launch, etc. It's about vision, and looking to the future. Time and time again people have been left behind by clinging on to the past.

Besides, you are also conveniently ignoring that the Desktop is not just there but vastly improved over 7 - much more than 7 was improved over Vista. You can easily ignore Metro if you so wish, the only difference will be that instead of Start Menu you have a new Start Screen which is by the way much better in most ways and much more configurable. Like I said earlier in this thread, you can pin not just apps but also settings, folders, etc. The Search is way better. It is so good that I have stopped using Explorer! Looking back I feel like an idiot for using that goofy pop up menu to launch programs, the Start menu is a relic which should be condemned to the past.

Even if you have a touchscreen, the point of Windows 8 .....

Brilliant post. Repped!

Seriously man you have not understood the point.. touch monitors are years away.. not like ddr4 which will be released soon.. by the time it becomes affordable they will take some more years. by the time people upgrade to it in large nos some more years..

You dont understand the plain fact that monitors are things people keep for ages.. further touch monitors are delicate, something our indian environment does not agree too.. Im not saying advancement is good but i am saying forcing advancement which is not even available is stupid!!

If you read that again you will see how conflicting that statement really is. Advancement often starts with extremely expensive products and technologies which can be likened to experiments. However, once they mature and mass production begins, the technology gets refined and we get quality stuff which is affordable. Please tell me when was the first affordable touchscreen Android (~Rs 10k) was launched. 2 years ago? Is that really a very long time?

You can still use Windows 7 and be happy with it for the next 10 years but don't call something stupid just because you are not able to grasp the concept of what they are trying to do.

Guys, has anyone of you installed windows 8 on an HP laptop till now? please tell me its very urgent and important. Were you able to do it successfully or not?

i have,on my sister's dv6-2159tx.works flawlessly with win 7 x64 drivers installed(for audio,LAN,sd card reader,etc.).

Guys does Windows 8 have nice touch pad gestures? My laptop has multitouch touch pad and supports pinch to zoom, two finger scrolling,etc. Will it work efficiently with windows 8? I always loved beautiful gestures of MAC

Guys does Windows 8 have nice touch pad gestures? My laptop has multitouch touch pad and supports pinch to zoom, two finger scrolling,etc. Will it work efficiently with windows 8? I always loved beautiful gestures of MAC

Yes, if you get the multi-touch drivers it will work perfectly. In fact, if you have a good touch pad you could almost substitute the want for a touch screen.

From what I feel, Windows 8, the desktop UI is way better than Windows 7. The speed that I am seeing is remarkable and it goes to show to what lengths Microsoft has gone to make a fine product. Another thing which is awesome, is that bring the Modern UI to all devices means an unparalleled developer experience and environment imagine creating applications which would work without a hitch on a phone/tablet/laptop/desktop with minor changes. This creates a very secure developer environment.

I've been also trying to do some experimentation with VS 2012, and it seems this is also one amazing feat by Microsoft.

On the whole I would give Windows 8, 8/10

I am assuming you are aged > 20. You really think that you will be the target consumer after say, 3-5 years? No. The target consumers will be the kids who have been using touchscreen tablets, touchscreen phones, touchscreen ATMs etc since they were born. For them, it will be as natural as it for you to use a non-touch monitor.

Secondly, don't take names. It is quite rude. Everyone works hard and spends their money as they want to.

It is not about touching the screen and using the keyboard. Please don't tell me you think that is all Windows 8 is about.

If you read that again you will see how conflicting that statement really is. Advancement often starts with extremely expensive products and technologies which can be likened to experiments. However, once they mature and mass production begins, the technology gets refined and we get quality stuff which is affordable. Please tell me when was the first affordable touchscreen Android (~Rs 10k) was launched. 2 years ago? Is that really a very long time?

You can still use Windows 7 and be happy with it for the next 10 years but don't call something stupid just because you are not able to grasp the concept of what they are trying to do.

my critique was for windows 8 and not touch monitors.where does the question of touch monitors being ahead of their time arise?? the comparision is absolutely non existent. How does this compare to a mouse being ridiculed??

Please read my comments properly before you answer.. I said that right now windows 8 is obsolete as many dont have a touch monitor or are not going to buy a touch monitor just for the sake of windows!!! Tell me if any one of you guys own an all in one or a touch monitor.. That being said when they do come in vogue, this OS will be useful, but not before

Go to richie street or nehru place or sp road and ask them how many touch monitors they sold.. further still ask them how many they are planning to sell. majority of the world still has non touch monitors.. Now tell me microsoft's logic in creating an OS optimized for touch in desktops??

Further i would like you guys not to pick out single statements and answer the post entirely. You picked up the part about touch monitors but conveniently ignored the rest about prohibitive cost of hardware, statistics about how many actually use this said hardware and the major point that we live in INDIA not USA..

That being said i apologize for any unnecessary rudeness.. sorry guys :)

@Sei
Please read before you answer.. Windows 7 was released in 2009.By 2012 they released windows 8.. Touch monitors as you said would require atleast 2-3 years to come into the mainstream(cheap enough for mainstream buyers). By then microsoft would have released another OS.. So my question is what was the hurry to release this version??

Back