Why no Micromax?

This is what I expected!!!
Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge guys.This is a learning place.
MMX is/was a naive company but people like this device for a reason and they should be a given a chance to improve themselves..may be buy few smaller companies and expand their technology base for more advanced and unique products.

@prohank

But on a personal note i would not want to spend my money just to give a "chance" to a company. None of them are for charity here. Infact i would rather spend on a tried and tested product. It is like most people who jump on a new device usually have complaints or suffer from issues that are only highlighted in the real world usage (might not be applicable for all products). Personally i wait and watch and let others buy and give reviews and then only spend my money.

Last edited by a moderator:
only xolo which makes sense is intel based.
rest all mediatek chipsets are for bragging.

Why? I just bought a Q800 recently, with the same MediaTek chipset as the Canvas HD and it seems like the fastest phone I can get for 12.5k

I know benchmarks aren't everything but they're lower than an HTC One X and much higher than a Galaxy Nexus in Antutu. That's a lot of power for the price. Their Intel phones might be faster (guessing), but the last time I checked, they were stuck on ICS and who knows when you'll get an update, if at all.

@prohank

But on a personal note i would not want to spend my money just to give a "chance" to a company. None of them are for charity here. Infact i would rather spend on a tried and tested product. It is like most people who jump on a new device usually have complaints or suffer from issues that are only highlighted in the real world usage (might not be applicable for all products). Personally i wait and watch and let others buy and give reviews and then only spend my money.
Yeah I agree.But the topic is on Canvas2 and I was speaking about the company w.r.t the phone.
May be I should change the topic title to Y no MMX Canvas2.
wait.. can we do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Atrocious customer service. Far and away the worst I have personally experienced, and also heard others experience. Unfortunately, out of all 4 or 5 people I know who have used a Micromax product, everyone except one has had their devices fail. So, unreliability, check 1, but worse still, the horrific after sales support.

Personally, in my case, I picked a Funbook Pro just to check it out - after all the value for money seemed very good on paper, like all MMX products. I barely used it, but as I anticipated it died. The "service checkpoint" was a rather pedestrian facility and the staff was extremely rude, but that is OK, motto of Indian customer service "customers are paupers, not kings". But it went downhill from there. They told me it would take 15 days to repair, which is beyond absurd. Fine, I gave it up as I use another tablet, and the repair was free? Oh wait. After a week, as it turns out, they randomly decided that a certain part was not covered by warranty and decided to charge 35% price of the entire unit. My first instinct was "trash that shit" but I let my poorer judgment win and went in for it. Surely everything should be fine now. I got the tablet back after some 14 days (at least they are aware of their inefficiencies...) to find that they forgot to connect the battery back. By this time I had had enough, and decided to get rid of it, thought maybe someone from TE would take it up with MMX service if I gave it away for half price. It seems no one is interested, and I don't blame them. So finally, it is time to send the Micromax product to where it belongs - the trash bin.

Of course, it goes without saying that you may be lucky and get solid service, but is it worth the risk? I seriously doubt it. If you are severely cash strapped, I recommend not being greedy about specs on paper and get a solid product with guaranteed performance, like a Lumia 520.

PS: I don't have any experience with Canvas 2. Maybe you will have better luck. But who knows? Is it worth the adventure?

Not all MMX phones are the same. As you might already know, what, all these so called "Indian Brands" including Micromax do is to just place bulk orders on some Chinese phones and sell them here with their own brand name. Even the branding itself usually gets done at the source factories in china. So the quality changes from model to model based on which Chinese OEM it was sourced from. Some models may be really bad and others decent enough for the price. Since most of these are cheap phones, quality control would not be that good.

Indian companies like MMX focus mainly on quantity but not quality.I am mainly surprised by reviews where most of them are still mixed bag, specs are real good but once you start using them then only you came to know how good or bad their devices actually performs in real world. These companies are still not dependable enough to put the money on.

That's the reason i mentioned that we have people and various websites claiming a phone to be instant hit when you see the specs and those useless benchmarks but when you actually use it, one realizes how crap the thing is. Believe me those big touchscreen androids would be available on streets literally in China and would cost half there. The quality simply sucks.
Better to go with reputed brands which also provide more than good customer service with people capable of handling your device in a proper way.
Hope to not see statements like "why buy Note 2 when MMX is so cheap and less than half the price" etc.

Not all MMX phones are the same. As you might already know, what, all these so called "Indian Brands" including Micromax do is to just place bulk orders on some Chinese phones and sell them here with their own brand name. Even the branding itself usually gets done at the source factories in china. So the quality changes from model to model based on which Chinese OEM it was sourced from. Some models may be really bad and others decent enough for the price. Since most of these are cheap phones, quality control would not be that good.

Sure, but it is not worth the risk. Better to stick with companies who take quality seriously and have a basic bar for quality control irrespective of the price for the product. If I buy a Nokia dumbphone for Rs. 1000 I am assured of a basic level of quality and assured of prompt after sales service. They won't try to throw in fancy features and specs which look inviting on paper by compromising on the essentials.

well you guys mean to say. Canvas 2 was nothing but hyped device? People just fell prey for the bigger display?

Precisely because today everyone wants a phone with big screen but then the S3 and Note 2 and other flagships are not in everyone's reach.
There are chinese unbranded ones but no one wants to spend money on them due to lack of quality and no warranty and customer service.
So comes MMX which is well known in India and they basically gave us the same chinese handsets but with a micromax logo there and people bought it in a blink because it supposedly carried warranty (which btw is pathetic and useless due to their customer service).
So yes everyone gave in to the hype. My cubicle mate too has a MMX Canvas 2.

MMX Canvas 2 got all sold out the second time as well. They are still selling like hot cakes. I keep advising people to buy the Nokia Lumia 620 or 520, if they are low on budget, but people want more like 5" Screen and quad core processors and androids(latest version), even though the quad core might be pathetic compared to some dual cores out there or they might not need android, as they never use any apps.

That SOLD OUT is creation of artificial demand. This helps in sales and people feel that the product is awesome and they "need" it asap. Apple too does that i am sure. Just a business tactic.

Sure, but it is not worth the risk. Better to stick with companies who take quality seriously and have a basic bar for quality control irrespective of the price for the product. If I buy a Nokia dumbphone for Rs. 1000 I am assured of a basic level of quality and assured of prompt after sales service. They won't try to throw in fancy features and specs which look inviting on paper by compromising on the essentials.

I don't disagree with the point you're making, but Nokia is no better in my opinion. The 5800 was a highly popular model (check the TE sticky to get an idea) which was plagued with issues on launch. I too, fell for the hype and bought the phone which was touted as the 20k iPhone killer. My handset with shipped the dreaded volume bug where in call volume would gradually drop to inaudible levels.

Like anyone else, I took it to the nearest Nokia Care only to see plenty of other people clutching the same phone in hand, looking like they'd been sent to the principal's office. I waited for a long time and finally handed my handset over, registered my complaint and left. During all of this, there was an elderly man walking about, presumably the manager of the place.

My handset came back with the issue fixed but around 10 days later, my display started acting funny. Again, I wasn't the only one with the problem. When I took it back, the elderly man actually started shouting at me - "You came here only last week no? Why did you buy your handset at some small shop and now when there's a problem you're dumping it on our heads."

Needless to say, that was my last Nokia.

I find that pathetic service often goes hand in hand with large traffic. Any place that deals with a large number of customers on a daily basis tend to treat you rather poorly - Nokia, Micromax, Airtel outlets, State Banks...

I don't think these local brands are the worst idea though, as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. You take a leap of faith yes, but you're not paying a large amount of money either. I mean, some people pay 25k for phones without warranty.

I wouldn't recommend them to a person who requires every day stability, but if you're tech savvy enough to fix a few problems on your own and the 10k won't burn a large hole in your pocket, why not?

I don't disagree with the point you're making, but Nokia is no better in my opinion. The 5800 was a highly popular model (check the TE sticky to get an idea) which was plagued with issues on launch. I too, fell for the hype and bought the phone which was touted as the 20k iPhone killer. My handset with shipped the dreaded volume bug where in call volume would gradually drop to inaudible levels.

Like anyone else, I took it to the nearest Nokia Care only to see plenty of other people clutching the same phone in hand, looking like they'd been sent to the principal's office. I waited for a long time and finally handed my handset over, registered my complaint and left. During all of this, there was an elderly man walking about, presumably the manager of the place.

My handset came back with the issue fixed but around 10 days later, my display started acting funny. Again, I wasn't the only one with the problem. When I took it back, the elderly man actually started shouting at me - "You came here only last week no? Why did you buy your handset at some small shop and now when there's a problem you're dumping it on our heads."

Needless to say, that was my last Nokia.

I find that pathetic service often goes hand in hand with large traffic. Any place that deals with a large number of customers on a daily basis tend to treat you rather poorly - Nokia, Micromax, Airtel outlets, State Banks...

I don't think these local brands are the worst idea though, as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. You take a leap of faith yes, but you're not paying a large amount of money either. I mean, some people pay 25k for phones without warranty.

I wouldn't recommend them to a person who requires every day stability, but if you're tech savvy enough to fix a few problems on your own and the 10k won't burn a large hole in your pocket, why not?
You cant compare Nokia with MMX. Infact Nokia's build quality is better than the Samsungs.

5800 was the first touch phone released by Nokia and it was bound to have initial glitches.
5800 was my first touchscreen phone and i found it to be very good for its time. I took it after sometime of it launch, as i knew that a new product would have its initial flaws, which would iron out in time. Never had any issues with it.
Only once did i take to service center, due to some dirt accumulation on the camera lens and the service was quick and prompt.
In-fact i have stuck with Nokia . N8 being my next phone after 5800 and even its build quality is rock solid, it having a full aluminum body.

Back