Why no Micromax?

Nokia have produced some iconic phones which have stood the test of time but I haven't seen anything impressive from them since the touchscreen revolution. I thought the 5800 was downright awful - not sure what you liked about it but the touch response was pathetic and it felt like it was made out of really cheap plastic, coming from a beautifully crafted Sony Ericsson K790i. Build quality better than Samsung isn't saying much anyway. The Lumias seem pretty decent from what I've seen in stores, but Windows Mobile isn't for me.

Last week my aunt visited us and her Nokia E something phone just refused to boot up after a restart. A quick Google told us that it was a motherboard failure, a common problem with that particular model.

My main concern was about Nokia Care in India though. We had to put up with similar crap when my father had to take in his N97. I've had much better service from HTC and Sony Ericsson simply because they had far less customers to deal with.

Anyway, I'm not implying that Micromax is better than Nokia. I've never owned any of their phones to form an opinion. But they are creating a market for themselves, and this is good for all of us as consumers since it gives us a choice and keeps the giants on their toes.

You cant compare Nokia with MMX. Infact Nokia's build quality is better than the Samsungs. In-fact i have stuck with Nokia . N8 being my next phone after 5800 and even its build quality is rock solid, it having a full aluminum body.

You took my words mate. Mine 1st being 3300, 2nd 5800, 3rd N8. I am sure I ought to stick with specific brands. I really don't believe in MMX either.

5800 was the first touch phone released by Nokia and it was bound to have initial glitches.

5800 was not Nokia's first touch phone. That place belongs to Nokia 7710 which as you might guess is a Symbian Phone and it was released 3 years before the first iPhone and 4 years before the 5800. This is what Apple tends to do to people. They literally erased the history of Touchscreen phones prior to iPhone with their marketing. Today, there are many people who think that apple invented touch screen (phones) and every other touch screen phone is a copy of iPhone. I have myself been using touch screen phones since 2004.

In any case, I have myself bought 2 Nokia 5800's when they came out. They are probably one of the first retail units in the country since I got them before the launch date and I was pretty satisfied with them. Both are still in working condition. The only problem I have is that Bluetooth is no longer working on one of the units. In terms of ruggedness and withstanding free falls, i don't think any other regular touchscreen phone can compete with it.

As for Chinese re-labels, I don't think its cheapness of build and being easily prone to failure is what people need to be concerned about. Its the batteries and chargers that people need to be wary of. If a cheap phone fails too soon, its not such a big deal, but if it blows in your face causing injury or death, that is something to be wary of. Time and again. Batteries and chargers in cheap phones have hurt or killed people.

hi to everyone back to TE after 2yrs..... Okay all i want to say i m using mmx A90s Pixel which costed me 13k it has a gorilla glass amoled screen and 4.3inch display and i m using that phn for last 4-5months proximity sensor was not working so went to the service centre which is there in many locations in kolkata they took 2 days replaced it gave back the phone absolutely in perfect condition so experience with mmx is good till now..... photo quality of this phn is awesome low light images are much better than A110..... Overall experience with A90S pixel is awesome....happy with the phone maybe after an year I ll change to a higher model

I have used 7 handsets from Nokia bcz i Keep on changing phones after an yr previously nokia use to maintain quality on handsets ranged between 5-10k but nowadays i ve seen it's not there anymore my frnd bought Asha series and it costed him 6k but compared to its price he hardly got any features on that phone he was so disappointed that he sold it and bought Samsung Galaxy Y he was abt to buy mmx but i advised him not to go for bcz mmx handsets ranging in between 5-6k are not that good... So maybe nokia is good on lumia series but their asha series which ranges in between 3k-8k are worst of the lot....

What abt samsung sony htc dude.... See everything is manufactured in China then they are transported where the final assembling is done MMX has a factory in india where they assemble these phones and LED TVs as well search in google about mmx factory they will give you the location where it is in india.... Anyway as i always tell only god made us rest everything else is made in chin

I have owned several Nokias . Ngage/3310/8210/6585/2280/3510i/E63/C7 all of which are working and I use . The build quality compared to samsung is much better . I have a Samsung Monte/Galaxy Y/Galaxy Note /Galaxy S3 . All used by my immediate family . I use the S3 . I too have the Micromax Canvas 2 A110 . No comparision to any Nokia and Samsung obviously . Canvas A110 which I use daily as my second phone besides the S3 has very low in call volume . In train I cannot hear the opposite person . In my nokias and s3 it never happens . Both the s3 and my C7(nokia) had dual mics for noise cancellation but they work better than micromax dual mics . Also I miss Auto light sensor which was available in E63/C7(nokia) ans S3. Will not buy micromax again . I bought my A110 in nov12 for 10500 .

Where has our inhouse Nokia fanboi disappeared ? I believe his name was Dhruv.
God, he used to get all the nokia goodies before the world i guess, even the developer editions of the handsets.

Go for MicroMax Canvas HD dude..........it simply blows out Galaxy Grand dude !!
Both in usability & synthetic benchmarks.
I like the display, IPS LCD @ HD resolution makes the text crisp clear & pics more vivid & colorful, loved it.
Games like Riptide, Temple Run 2 & Oz, Angry Bird Rio etc are butter smooth.
Played HD movies n songs easily. Installed Go Launcher, since I didn't like Micromax custom launcher, it doesn't affect the performance & working fine with best UI & choices are endless for themes.
Calling is also good & no issues faced, till now. Not able to test with both sims.
In short, better than grand, since I have used both phones.

That SOLD OUT is creation of artificial demand. This helps in sales and people feel that the product is awesome and they "need" it asap. Apple too does that i am sure. Just a business tactic.
Rofl !!
Buddy I am in touch with almost every dealer in Indirapuram & even in Delhi to get the phone from past 25 days, now I got the phone from one of them only.

Its not tactic, its the demand vs supply all over India. People have gone crazy over MMX HD phone.

Rofl !!
Buddy I am in touch with almost every dealer in Indirapuram & even in Delhi to get the phone from past 25 days, now I got the phone from one of them only.

Its not tactic, its the demand vs supply all over India. People have gone crazy over MMX HD phone.

Yes demand because it is cheap compared to Note 2 and all. Real views will come few months down the line when one daily uses the phone and realizes how good or bad it is. Out of the box all phones are shiny new hardware.

Yes demand because it is cheap compared to Note 2 and all. Real views will come few months down the line when one daily uses the phone and realizes how good or bad it is. Out of the box all phones are shiny new hardware.

before the canvas HD launch , the sales figures for the the A110 was close to 5.5k units a day.
i am sure not everybody is dumping that phone in the garbage can now.

there is a decent community for the canvas 2 on xda and almost all software issues can be handled from there itself.

they have had fixes released for quick GPS fix

and off late the no charging issue on the official jelly bean update too.

so as of now , the specific device is working fine.

Well the benchmark test for HD shows as its in 3rd in the list and benchmark results you can see in youtube done by iGyaan or Phone Arena everyone was impressed with the phone and gaming on that phone was superb as they said... Even i think so bcz if i can play almost all games in my Micromax A90s Pixel then definitely on HD it should run well...

I have owned several Nokias . Ngage/3310/8210/6585/2280/3510i/E63/C7 all of which are working and I use . The build quality compared to samsung is much better . I have a Samsung Monte/Galaxy Y/Galaxy Note /Galaxy S3 . All used by my immediate family . I use the S3 . I too have the Micromax Canvas 2 A110 . No comparision to any Nokia and Samsung obviously . Canvas A110 which I use daily as my second phone besides the S3 has very low in call volume . In train I cannot hear the opposite person . In my nokias and s3 it never happens . Both the s3 and my C7(nokia) had dual mics for noise cancellation but they work better than micromax dual mics . Also I miss Auto light sensor which was available in E63/C7(nokia) ans S3. Will not buy micromax again . I bought my A110 in nov12 for 10500 .

U cud ve gone for A90S Pixel which is much better than A110 Canvas 2... But anyway see android phones are made to use for few days bcz u won't get any resale value for s3 or mmx A110 so it's of no use buying so expensive phones

Yes, I do agree with some of the points raised by kkchhetri01, but a part this it also have some of the great features like OS - Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), 1 GB RAM, along with a great Processor: 1.2GHz Quad Core Processor. I think that phone is not that bad.

I think its just fine to buy MMX HD. As far as I have seen people for a rich guy (I mean a guy who has money and is a frequent buyer and seller + having little knowledge on wat is good and wat is bad) MMX will run for hardly 2-3 months and any other branded 6 months and for a less rich guy double the period of stay and so on.....

I think its just fine to buy MMX HD. As far as I have seen people for a rich guy (I mean a guy who has money and is a frequent buyer and seller + having little knowledge on wat is good and wat is bad) MMX will run for hardly 2-3 months and any other branded 6 months and for a less rich guy double the period of stay and so on.....

Any phone u buy it will last only for a year it doesn't matter samsung sony or mmx or htc..... People who use to use galaxy Y one of the cheap android handset have upgraded their device bcz of the apps that are launching in android mkt max of them are not well compatible.... I have used 2.2 froyo a yr back now after yr i m using 4.1 jellybean which means I have changed 2 devices.... So it doesn't matter which handset u buy it's going to get old within n yr....

Any phone u buy it will last only for a year it doesn't matter samsung sony or mmx or htc..... People who use to use galaxy Y one of the cheap android handset have upgraded their device bcz of the apps that are launching in android mkt max of them are not well compatible.... I have used 2.2 froyo a yr back now after yr i m using 4.1 jellybean which means I have changed 2 devices.... So it doesn't matter which handset u buy it's going to get old within n yr....

2-3 months is a very short period of time and i knw it doesn't matter how much money u have u will use the handset atleast an yr

Device getting old is also related to one's requirements. If it is the new hardware that one wants then yes all devices will get obsolete in a year (same company) but if it is only about apps then the device does not get old till the time the manufacturer provides updates for the OS which unfortunately does not happen because they want to mint money. My wife uses a phone which was launched in 2010 and almost 99.90% of the apps are still compatible with her phone and they work as they are expected to.

Back