The Motorola Defy Thread

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
nikolain said:
Which service are u using ?
Tata Docomo 2G. Changed the settings to 3G connection in my mobile and i like to think that i am using 3G. I feel the speeds are lower when i choose 2G only but i am not sure. I can load the full TE webpage (By full, i mean not the mobile version but the desktop version) in around 6-8 secs. That doesnt look like 2G tome:) Mine is a 48Rs recharge for 1GB, 21 days validity.

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
Just got my defy yesterday for college :D. I'm trying to update to froyo. When I go to about phone->system updates it says checking for updates with the spinning thing and then it says "checking for updates is currently not available. Try again later" :(

nikolain

Disciple
Oct 4, 2009
Pune
www.svgtech.net
kvikram said:
Just got my defy yesterday for college :D. I'm trying to update to froyo. When I go to about phone->system updates it says checking for updates with the spinning thing and then it says "checking for updates is currently not available. Try again later" :(
Froyo isn't available yet through updates i guess, u shud opt for CM7 or MIUI 1.6.17

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
nikolain said:
Froyo isn't available yet through updates i guess, u shud opt for CM7 or MIUI 1.6.17
Did I hear right? Froyo isn't available officially in India? That's a bummer :( .

Should I root with z4root or superoneclick?

Aladdin

Adept
Aug 29, 2007
kvikram said:
Did I hear right? Froyo isn't available officially in India? That's a bummer :( .

Should I root with z4root or superoneclick?
Yeah its not but i updated mine to froyo from a guide on XDA forums. Its very safe and well almost official.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

dexBG

still fishing
Adept
Oct 1, 2009
Froyo was out for India for a short while .. you can still find that ROM XDA the SEA18 one ..

I managed to flash mine using the official release.

You can root the Defy using SuperOneClick only ..

OTA updates are not available in our region so your mobile wont detect/install new updates automatically.

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
Aladdin said:
Yeah its not but i updated mine to froyo from a guide on XDA forums. Its very safe and well almost official.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk
Can you give me a link? Does it involve rooting?

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
Guys, anybody knows how to use internet tethering( tells no tethering APN available) or 3g hotspot (message comes with no setting available contact your service provider). The carrier is Docomo. One of our TE members has this problem. Please Help!!

Techie#1

Skilled
Sep 20, 2005
now,since last 1 month when i purchased the defy,my 3 yr old nephew is a complete addict to it,mainly due to the tons of games & fun apps which i had installed on it!...now i loose my phone more often than i can be happy for purchasing the defy.Though it's really a awesome phone,NO DOUBT, & i purchased it primarily due to the Total Rigid Rough Tough Build(as i primarily'm a outgoing nature person),...however pre-purchase i somewhat overlooked the SAR Point & also couldn't figurein the addiction of a kid to this fun toy & hence the exposure implication.Now that as i find a lot of ppl discussion SAR issues of mobile phones as well as of the defy,....i want to know specifically,how much dangerous can this phone(Motorola Defy)really be(particularly in the S.A.R sense) for a little kid who has kind of got addicted to it & plays/stays with the phone for long periods of time?

wolvish

Disciple
Apr 26, 2011
Chennai
killmastern3 said:
Guys, anybody knows how to use internet tethering( tells no tethering APN available) or 3g hotspot (message comes with no setting available contact your service provider). The carrier is Docomo. One of our TE members has this problem. Please Help!!
Nope.. Never tried it.. :(

dexBG

still fishing
Adept
Oct 1, 2009
now,since last 1 month when i purchased the defy,my 3 yr old nephew is a complete addict to it,mainly due to the tons of games & fun apps which i had installed on it!...now i loose my phone more often than i can be happy for purchasing the defy.Though it's really a awesome phone,NO DOUBT, & i purchased it primarily due to the Total Rigid Rough Tough Build(as i primarily'm a outgoing nature person),...however pre-purchase i somewhat overlooked the SAR Point & also couldn't figurein the addiction of a kid to this fun toy & hence the exposure implication.Now that as i find a lot of ppl discussion SAR issues of mobile phones as well as of the defy,....i want to know specifically,how much dangerous can this phone(Motorola Defy)really be(particularly in the S.A.R sense) for a little kid who has kind of got addicted to it & plays/stays with the phone for long periods of time?

The SAR of the Defy is still withing all acceptable limits .. and even then the (max.) radiation exposure happens only when you make calls and hold the phone close to your head.

If your nephew is only playing games on it then its fine .. :)

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
kvikram said:
I've successfully flashed 2.2.2 stock froyo from here :D. What a great speed improvement :clap:!

I'm going to install miui 1.6.24 from here: [ROM]MIUI Defy 1.6.24 - Update 24/06/11 - xda-developers. It says I should have flashed nordic froyo. Is it okay to install it with stock indian froyo?
You can install. But according to MIUI team, the nordic Froyo is the best option. But people have installed MIUI over the Indian Froyo. Give it a try.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Scorpy said:
guys can anyone please give link to an easy guide to put cm7 on defy ? Im currently following this for updating to froyo >>[Flash SBF] OFFICIAL RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 [SOUTH EAST ASIA + INDIA] - xda-developers . Should I install froyo first and then cm7 ? If not please provide a link for cm7 installation :) .
[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers . Here You go.

You need to install the nordic froyo first. You can find all the files in the link provided.

gautham82

Disciple
Nov 9, 2006
www.Gautham.in
I have installed Froyo 2.2 from motorola few weeks back, everything was fine, past 2 days i am facing auto reboot every few minutes, i tried factory reset and installed only Gmail and Google Map app, but again facing the same issue.. Dying to fix it, any suggestions..?