The Motorola Defy Thread

zopeon said:
Ok thanks

So how was it?
It's pretty good. very good social networking integration. It was pretty good when I had it, but now that I don't, I don't miss it either. Once you login to it, everytime you reboot, you need to login to blur, else the phone won't work. It's a safety feature but a bit of a nuisance too. So if you are planning to use it, net connection is a must.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Btw, amazing battery backup in cm7 rc1v2. I easily get 35 hours with normal usage.

nikolain said:
Wow i did not know we had a Battery Upgrade, but the only problem i'm thinking of is that is it genuine and will it blast like those Nokia Battery's
that's my biggest concern too...any1 else have more ideas?

I'm not entirely satisfied with miui, which I am on right now. There is considerable lag. Sometimes when pressing a button it takes 4-5 seconds to respond (especially the alarm snooze button).

Application startup time is also 4-5 seconds (not like iOS, which goes instantly to a loading screen, which is much better, even if it takes the same 3-4 seconds on the loading screen).

Slider lag (like for adjusting brightness) is also present.

Wut say, miui users?

kvikram said:
I'm not entirely satisfied with miui, which I am on right now. There is considerable lag. Sometimes when pressing a button it takes 4-5 seconds to respond (especially the alarm snooze button).

Application startup time is I also 4-5 seconds (not like iOS, which goes instantly to a loading screen, which is much better, even if it takes the same 3-4 seconds on the loading screen).

Slider lag (like for adjusting brightness) is also present.

Wut say, miui users?
I don't think I had that much lag. A little yeah,.it can be easily explained the graphical UI. CM7 is a lot faster. Did you instal MIUI on nordic?

zopeon said:
In the singapore moto website if you download the pdf for moto defy froyo update

It states this update is for Singapore, india, indonasia, malaysia etc

https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/Moto.Version.3.4.3.MB525.en.ASEAN.v9.pdf

So why is it not shown on indian moto site?

Is there any baseband issue?
The update that was released was a Trial Update, that's why it was removed from the websites, but why wait for them to update, u can upgrade to 2.3 using CM7 or MIUI

Okay, regarding the moto 2.2 official update:

I had subscribed on a thread in moto website , and this is the info i got from the posts by the moto guys:

1. the update is available through service centres. Just go to your nearest service centre, they would update your phone to 2.2 for you.
2. The update that was on the site for one day was the final update and if u did update that time, you are set. It was not buggy, nor was it a 'trial' version. I had updated that time, and all is fine.

killmastern3 said:
I don't think I had that much lag. A little yeah,.it can be easily explained the graphical UI. CM7 is a lot faster. Did you instal MIUI on nordic?
No. I installed on south east asia + india froyo. Can that have an impact on performance?

kris_one said:

I had subscribed on a thread in moto website , and this is the info i got from the posts by the moto guys:

1. the update is available through service centres. Just go to your nearest service centre, they would update your phone to 2.2 for you.

2. The update that was on the site for one day was the final update and if u did update that time, you are set. It was not buggy, nor was it a 'trial' version. I had updated that time, and all is fine.
If it was final then why did they remove it??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kris_one said:

If it was final then why did they remove it??

Ok, sorry if I am asking noob questions but after going through a lot of different threads about CM7, Miui, nandroid, SEA sbf, I am totaly confused about taking backup of my stock flash for

1. including personal data

2. Waranty purpose having just android

after going through xda thread about india froyo and the confusion with baseband and MDF sum for two sbfs I decide to do this

1. Take backup (2 point above)

2. Root (onclick thing)

3. want to install 2.3.3 112 sbf with motoblur [ROM] MotoBlur 2.3.3 to test blur

4. then maybe flash back to stock with backup or just flash indian from sbf:defy [And Developers]

5. install custom rom

So to start I have to first root my phone

then do i have to 1st install 2ndinit or flash with 2.3.3 sbf? or is modefied to keep root n 2nd init?

XDA CM7 forum says i should flash with nandroid backup for downgrade-ability

so is nandroid backup same as our backup of sbf?
When submiting for waranty with stock flash do we need to unroot? and remove 2ndinit? or full flashing with stock sbf should take care of it?

TIA

zopeon said:
Ok, sorry if I am asking noob questions but after going through a lot of different threads about CM7, Miui, nandroid, SEA sbf, I am totaly confused about taking backup of my stock flash for

1. including personal data

2. Waranty purpose having just android

after going through xda thread about india froyo and the confusion with baseband and MDF sum for two sbfs I decide to do this

1. Take backup (2 point above)

2. Root (onclick thing)

3. want to install 2.3.3 112 sbf with motoblur [ROM] MotoBlur 2.3.3 to test blur

4. then maybe flash back to stock with backup or just flash indian from sbf:defy [And Developers]

5. install custom rom

So to start I have to first root my phone

then do i have to 1st install 2ndinit or flash with 2.3.3 sbf? or is modefied to keep root n 2nd init?

XDA CM7 forum says i should flash with nandroid backup for downgrade-ability

so is nandroid backup same as our backup of sbf?
When submiting for waranty with stock flash do we need to unroot? and remove 2ndinit? or full flashing with stock sbf should take care of it?

TIA
If you are a newbie to android, please be very careful when flashing the leaked 2.3.3 or 2.3.4. One step wrong and you could be forever stuck in it. My suggestion would be to forego this leaked version and install CM7 or Miui since i tried both 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 and well it doesnt even match the custom roms. If you are going to install the 2.3.4, please install the jboogie's rom after reading the thread thoroughly. When submitting for warranty, just flash the Indian froyo and give it to them. Fresh install will remove all your settings and unroot the phone.

killmastern3 said:
If you are a newbie to android, please be very careful when flashing the leaked 2.3.3 or 2.3.4. One step wrong and you could be forever stuck in it. My suggestion would be to forego this leaked version and install CM7 or Miui since i tried both 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 and well it doesnt even match the custom roms. If you are going to install the 2.3.4, please install the jboogie's rom after reading the thread thoroughly. When submitting for warranty, just flash the Indian froyo and give it to them. Fresh install will remove all your settings and unroot the phone.
Thanks will stear clear from 2.3 then.

My Defy came with Froyo stock , so i guess that 2.2.2 version which they removed was final after all.

my defy does not detect internet, i am on airtel ( my n82 works fine with mobile office) but it just doesnt show gprs and edge icons?? Also my wifi does not work, its working on my N82, even when i set static ip, it still shows obtaining ip address from wireless network!!:mad:

Please help

Here is my Default Defy parameters

System version Moto_Version.34.30.3301.MB525.Retail.en

Firmware version 2.2.2

Baseband version EPU93_U_00.59.01

Build no. JEM_3.4.3-33-1

Update upgraded to 2.3.3 Motoblur with nandroid + fixed sbf from xda
But the still cant detect airtel edge.
tried my friends vodafone and it detected edge without me having to do anything.
tried my friends airtel sim n the same problem, phone does not detect edge even after getting the internet settings n following their off - remove and insert sim- reboot procedure
Apparently Defy hates airtel :mad:

another moto defy owner on board :eek:hyeah: the choice came naturally as i have been using moto since last 7yrs. fell in love with moto v3 first and now this is my 4th motorola device and loving very bit of it.

zopeon said:
Update upgraded to 2.3.3 Motoblur with nandroid + fixed sbf from xda

But the still cant detect airtel edge.

tried my friends vodafone and it detected edge without me having to do anything.

tried my friends airtel sim n the same problem, phone does not detect edge even after getting the internet settings n following their off - remove and insert sim- reboot procedure

Apparently Defy hates airtel :mad:

I had the same problem, but i had Vodafone, try using Baseband Switcher V4.0, i had the same problem, i used the switcher and it helped, but the internet speed were less, but just then i switched to MIUI 1.7.1, 2 days ago and my mobile is back to normal

@nikolain I tried 3g fix n baseband switcher and as expected it dindt solve my problem so I finally went to airtel zonal office and after about half an hour they managed to get the internett working, and to quote them " its very complicated to set it, donot touch the settings":no:

now what use is android if i cant flash around :eek:hyeah:

Can some one provide me with a 2.2.2 India stock nandroid, just in case I have to go back to stock n How to take backup of my settings? The backup I take using custom rom will it have all my settings stored?

thanks guys

Back