The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

How much of a difference is there b/w the itouch and 5800XM wrt the touch experience/browsing? Is it really significant, one that anyone can make out withing minutes of using or there is only a slight difference?

The difference between a capacitive and resistive touch screen is quite noticeable. If you are used to capacitive touch devices like the i-phone then you may not like the 5800 interface :)

ujjwal said:
The difference between a capacitive and resistive touch screen is quite noticeable. If you are used to capacitive touch devices like the i-phone then you may not like the 5800 interface :)

Sorry for my ignorance but, could you explain the difference a little better? :)

Firstly both the Nokia 5800XM and the Apple Iphone use two completely different technologies i.e - Resistive touch and the Capacitive touch. You can read about the difference between both of them here Resistive_vs_Capacitive

So as you have read the capacitive touch is a little more accurate cause slightest touch of you finger will be enough. But on the 5800XM you need to apply a little more pressure and the double tap can be quite bugging some times.

Both the technology have their pro's and con's.

I haven't used the Iphone much but for what ever time I have used my friends Itouch I have enjoyed the overall touch experience on it more then on my 5800XM:).

^^..i guess its depends on what you prefer;). I will say use both of them and see what you like.

Ultimately both the Iphone and the 5800XM are cell phones from two different categories one costs upward 20K(on what you buy used/new, 2g,3g,3gs) and the other 13k which is quite VFM:)

iPhone has a great touch interface, no one can question that. But surely it is not worth even half the price it is sold for. Just a nice interface doesn't work for me. I need features, which iPhone lacks.

IMO, the 5800XM gives value for around 9 - 10 K at most. iPhone gives value for at the most 6K. I am talking purely in terms of base functionality and not what can be modded / added. Aesthetics, though important, don't take up 80 out of 100 points.

ajab.ghajab said:
iPhone has a great touch interface, no one can question that. But surely it is not worth even half the price it is sold for. Just a nice interface doesn't work for me. I need features, which iPhone lacks.

IMO, the 5800XM gives value for around 9 - 10 K at most. iPhone gives value for at the most 6K. I am talking purely in terms of base functionality and not what can be modded / added. Aesthetics, though important, don't take up 80 out of 100 points.

Why features does the iPhone lack ? It would be nice if you elaborated.

Guys, I'm think of buying this mobile, but worried about the reliability.

I have couple of guys in my society who own 5800XMs, bought around Diwali 2009. Both the pieces are working fine. no issues whatsoever.

Actually they don't use their mobiles extensively. Just some basic features, while I love my gadgets and try to use them as much as possible. my earlier mobiles are the proofs, 6630, SE K750i, SE w810i ( rock solid phones, looks like the time of long lasting mobiles is gone..anyway...)

That's why the various features lured me towards this phone.

This phone has got superb features list.....

My interests are in large screen, GPS with "free turn by turn navigation", MS Office document viewer support, 3.5 mm audio jack , A2DP etc.
But when I read this thread and googled " Nokia 5800 problems", so many guys had problems with their handsets.
nokia 5800 problems - Google Search

esp. on Consumer Court website
eg Multiple problems - new Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic
Nokia 5800 Faulty Handset
Nokia 5800 mobile with errors
Constant problem with Nokia 5800

scary scenario for a potential buyer. what to do? ( wish i could take chance with 14k/-)

geek ashish said:

I have couple of guys in my society who own 5800XMs, bought around Diwali 2009. Both the pieces are working fine. no issues whatsoever.

Actually they don't use their mobiles extensively. Just some basic features, while I love my gadgets and try to use them as much as possible. my earlier mobiles are the proofs, 6630, SE K750i, SE w810i ( rock solid phones, looks like the time of long lasting mobiles is gone..anyway...)

My interests are in large screen, GPS with "free turn by turn navigation", MS Office document viewer support, 3.5 mm audio jack , A2DP etc.
But when I read this thread and googled " Nokia 5800 problems", so many guys had problems with their handsets.

scary scenario for a potential buyer. what to do? ( wish i could take chance with 14k/-)

Been using 5800XM extensively for few months and no issues at all. I even dropped it couple of times from 2ft to 3ft height and it's just fine. forget about those issues posted on internet. Every model has specific failure rate and am sure that 5800XM's is very low. If I am right, you search for any mobile phone's problems and you will find loads of pages.

I am a compulsive dropper :p Phones just don't stick in my hands :D Dropped this phone within an hour of opening the pack. And shud be close to 40 drops by now. Haven't faced any issues.

geek ashish said:

i bought the phone when it first came out for 20k and i've had nothing but problems. at first, the speaker in the phone had issues (common problem on the 5800s where you gradually couldn't hear the person talking to you), then my screen went totally kaput. it is unusable unless i put up a plain white background as my wallpaper (last resort workaround). all these happened within 1 year of buying the phone. i could have gotten it replaced but Nokia Care told me it would take 2 weeks which was a big no-no for me. 2 weeks without a phone is suicidal in my line of work. i just decided on buying a new phone when i get some spare cash.

i know a lot of people will recommend this phone but in my experience, it's easily the worst i've ever come across and definitely not value for money for the price i paid. horrible touch screen. i'm going back to sony ericssons.

ashr said:
i bought the phone when it first came out for 20k and i've had nothing but problems. at first, the speaker in the phone had issues (common problem on the 5800s where you gradually couldn't hear the person talking to you), then my screen went totally kaput. it is unusable unless i put up a plain white background as my wallpaper (last resort workaround). all these happened within 1 year of buying the phone. i could have gotten it replaced but Nokia Care told me it would take 2 weeks which was a big no-no for me. 2 weeks without a phone is suicidal in my line of work. i just decided on buying a new phone when i get some spare cash.

i know a lot of people will recommend this phone but in my experience, it's easily the worst i've ever come across and definitely not value for money for the price i paid. horrible touch screen. i'm going back to sony ericssons.

looks like you are one of the elite unlucky few. But again, now allowing Nokia to replace your phone is purely YOUR mistake. You chose to live with a malfunctioning phone till you purchase new phone instead of waiting for 2 weeks for new phone. you could've asked them to give you a temp phone that you can use. They did that for my friend who gave his N73 for repair.

I have been using this phone since 6 months now. I have not faced even a single issue. Just dropped it twice till now, but the phone is working fine. Its quite a good phone.

ashr said:

The screen problem was there in the first few lots of 5800s and now it has been resolved completely, and so is the case with the earpiece problem. 5800 has come a long way since its launch and now its a pretty much problem free, VFM phone.

I got this phone for around 13.5k and so its definately VFM for me. No issues faced so far, dropped my phone 3 times and still it shines like new ! One thing I have noticed that the screen of 5800 is much better when compared to 5233/5230. While 5800 displays Black colour accurately, 5233's screen is somewhat greyish....

BTW, have you guys tried the new Firmware v50 ? I guess its officially available now....

H2O said:
Why features does the iPhone lack ? It would be nice if you elaborated.

From where to start.
-Camera-3.2 megapixels. . cost-32k
I guess . .8.1 mpx will cost 81k
-Multitasking
Nokia 6600 can do that . .efficiently.
-Mem. Card slot-
- no acess to battery.
- No object push via bluetooth(smart.eh?).

desiibond said:
looks like you are one of the elite unlucky few. But again, now allowing Nokia to replace your phone is purely YOUR mistake. You chose to live with a malfunctioning phone till you purchase new phone instead of waiting for 2 weeks for new phone. you could've asked them to give you a temp phone that you can use. They did that for my friend who gave his N73 for repair.

i wouldn't call it a mistake. it was completely intentional. i had long given up on the phone and decided to replace it with something else so i didn't really care about it. i personally don't like the phone (even when it works without any issues) and don't think it's worth the 20 grand i paid. the problems i faced simply added fuel to the fire. for me, the major disappointments were the touchscreen, the camera and the SMS inbox being terribly slow when trying to sort a lot of messages by date.

i'm not arguing that it couldn't be VFM for many who are buying it at 13.5k now, especially if all the problems have been fixed but the last time i checked, there were many buyers of the first few batches who faced the same problems as me... not just a few.

Back