The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

ashr said:
i wouldn't call it a mistake. it was completely intentional. i had long given up on the phone and decided to replace it with something else so i didn't really care about it. i personally don't like the phone (even when it works without any issues) and don't think it's worth the 20 grand i paid. the problems i faced simply added fuel to the fire. for me, the major disappointments were the touchscreen, the camera and the SMS inbox being terribly slow when trying to sort a lot of messages by date.

i'm not arguing that it couldn't be VFM for many who are buying it at 13.5k now, especially if all the problems have been fixed but the last time i checked, there were many buyers of the first few batches who faced the same problems as me... not just a few.

yes. all the problems are solved. touch is very responsive, UI is pretty fast. I have 700+ smses in my inbox and sorting takes less than a second. You should've atleast regularly upgraded the firmware. the first batch of models are working better after firmware upgrades. Current ver is v40.

ajab.ghajab said:
I hope you are not referring to the cooked firmwares

I think yes, it's cooked firmware and is termed illegal firmware by Nokia.

ok guys a good news! Just updated my nokia 5800- black!
The latest firmware is out in india.
I updated my phone over wi-fi, its a 9mb update.
the new software version is v50.0.005.:clap: this is an official update by nokia and not any hacked or custom firmware.
just dial *#0000# and then select "software Update" from Options.

Improvements-
kinetic scrolling in menu
New music Player with album art.
Auto fullscreen of web pages in the internet browser.

ajab.ghajab said:
I hope you are not referring to the cooked firmwares
desiibond said:

No No No guyz, am not talking about CFW. Am talking about the Firmware released by Nokia. Check it out, v50 is official !
Anywayz, I will not update to v50, am happy with my v40 CFW :p

Unofficial changelog of firmware V50.0.005.

* Cool new Music Player with mini albumart songs and albums to view in sections now like Nokia N97 Music Player.
* Menu now has kinetic scrolling. Same was missing in earlier firmware.
* Quick office integrated.
* Hide option in music player in place of exit.
* MusicPlayer refreshing is very fast.
* One touch dialling and call settings options in dialler.
* Camera Quality is improved
* There is an option to uninstall quick office from mobile too.
* New Ovi Sync 2.0 application added.
* Option to enable history list in web browser
* Option to send webpage via message blutooth in web browser.
* Get Rihanna link in Internet to launch Rihanna service
* Browser 7.2
* Lifecasting (with Maps 3.0T SR3.0)
* Flash Video Phase-3-Flashlite 3.1.7.x
* Gimlet Touch 2.2
* Kinetic scrolling in Appshell (Menu grid)
* Hurriganes Music Player
* Enable Side lock Key functionality during Swipe UI (Calendar/Clock)
* Windows 7 Device Stage Support
* OVI store 1.5.6
* Quick Office v4.2
* OVI Music
* Cherry v2.1
* OVI contacts 1.50.8
* Workaround for Niagara (SMD) display module for DFS52.50 based products.

OK just updated. These are the changes i can see.

The screen-touch vibration is now stronger, even on Level 1.

The screen seems to have more contrast.

The phone is now a lot faster and more responsive.

The Music player library has been improved, with the song details and Album Art now visible. plus the Player is much faster :)

Instead of the Music Player showing "Exit" as the right-hand function menu option, it shows "Hide". So now no more accidentally turning of the player.

The gallery also loads a lot faster, especially the picture previews.

Overall i would say the phone is a lot faster, even with the Kinetic Scrolling. So all in all, a very good upgrade :)

EDIT: I even feel the speaker volume has gone up a little :p

BTW have to check out the power consumption now. Did anybody feel that the consumption got doubled with v40 ? My phone, which i could use without a recharge in like 3-4 days at least required a recharge every 2 days. Let's hope its back to normal with v50.

desiibond said:
yes. all the problems are solved. touch is very responsive, UI is pretty fast. I have 700+ smses in my inbox and sorting takes less than a second. You should've atleast regularly upgraded the firmware. the first batch of models are working better after firmware upgrades. Current ver is v40.

im on v30. i get "no updates found" after that. blue 5800. i have 1500+ messages (need all of them) and sorting by date makes my phone unresponsive. this doesn't happen on some other phones that i've tried even though they have worse hardware specs.

although firmware updates have made it much better, my UI is still quite slow. i haven't installed anything on this phone and i have about 4GB free. i'm not sure what's wrong with it.

I had changed it sometime back as no updates were there on my product code. Search this thread, you will find some posts on how to do it etc. I think there was even a guide in the Guides section.

Just upgraded my phone to v50 over WiFi. I must say the phone seems a lot more responsive now than even after v40. Memory management also seems to be better. Have not been able to try out the improved camera though.

Darky said:

Don't see the supposed integrated QuickOffice though.

Overall, seems to be a good update.

wow. i changed my product code and updated to v50.

IT FIXED MY SCREEN PROBLEM :D:D:D

it also seems way faster. time to give this phone another chance.

edit: @desiibond, could you please try using the "show messages in groups" option in your Messaging settings and see if it slows your inbox down when you have 700+ messages?

also, the touch screen is on a different level now. very responsive. i still can't believe a firmware update did this much. it's like using a different phone.

Unofficial changelog of firmware V50.0.005.

* Lifecasting (with Maps 3.0T SR3.0)
* Flash Video Phase-3-Flashlite 3.1.7.x
* Gimlet Touch 2.2
* Hurriganes Music Player
* Enable Side lock Key functionality during Swipe UI (Calendar/Clock)
* Quick Office v4.2
* Cherry v2.1

I can't seem to find the following changes? any seeing the above changes in their phones?

Back