The 2013 Black Friday thread

@jsmithe

Is any of these E02 ?
If no then which is next best option ?

Also after installing arch linux and all, what all can be done with this small box ? Like with tranmission i supposed, i can attach a pen drive to the USB port and download torrents directly on the USB thru this rather than using my PC or something.
Does any of these come with inbuilt wifi ?

PS: Total noob about this thing.

Is any of these E02 ?

The last three links in the OP are probably E02's. It's a bit of a chance there since the P21's are supposed to be the new version which is not E02. Pogoplug tends to ship out these labeled as P21 but they are actually E02. You only find this out after you get it(like I did with mine). If you can't get arch on it, then just use it as stock pogoplug which makes it your own personal dropbox.

I don't know if the V4's have the same issue with versions.

Also after installing arch linux and all, what all can be done with this small box ? Like with tranmission i supposed, i can attach a pen drive to the USB port and download torrents directly on the USB thru this rather than using my PC or something.
Does any of these come with inbuilt wifi ?

PS: Total noob about this thing.

No wifi on any of these.

You can access transmission/rtorrent on the plug via a browser and it will keep going even when your PC is off. Use a USB HDD rather than pendrive since power failures corrupt the pendrive easily and you have to reinstall arch whereas with the USB HDD you are usually just an fsck away from getting going again.

If you are new to linux and not willing to experiment a bit, then avoid.

BIS has something to do with Indian Industrial Standards. I am assuming this is Delhi Foreign Post since they have been anal retentive about all my shipments in November. My shipment worth $800 got stuck there and I had to personally go there to get it cleared. Now shipments are flagged with BIS in two circumstances - a) Electronics like phones, tablets, laptops, computer components etc. and b) Toys and figurines that contain plastic and die cast. Basically anything that supposedly doesn't meet the *arbitrary* Industrial Standards here.
This is first hand knowledge coming straight from the mouth of the Superintendent there. From what I gathered in my time waiting for my shipments to get cleared they disregard any value mentioned on the declaration forms. Funnily enough, the inspectors and superintendents seem to be well aware of everything that is going on and they choose to look the other way for most shipments. Also, as previously pointed out in our discussions, anything shipped through an expedited method attracts the attention of the customs inspectors. In my experience I've been hit with customs mostly (not all) on shipments sent through Priority Mail/DHL/FedEx whereas First Class mail/Airmail/Small Packets services have sailed past them without hiccups time and again.
How it can proceed from here - a) They might clear everything in a couple of days and you will get your stuff, maybe with duties, maybe without. b) They might send you a notice (not a show cause notice) which will mention the docket number of your shipment along with the reason why they have detained it. In this scenario you will have to make a personal appearance at the Foreign Post Head Office near ITO, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, carrying with you printed copies of your credit card/paypal statements and bill of purchase. They will ask for an Importers Code number in that notice but you don't need it if you don't run a shop and intend to resell the contents of the shipment. Jut tell them that you have purchased those items for your personal collection and you don't mean to sell them further. They will then make you wait for a few hours while they dig out your shipment from the piles and piles of detained packages and process it. Once they clear everything they will tell you how much duties you will have to pay when you receive the package through the mail. Yes, they won't hand it over to you right then and you will have to wait for the postman to bring it to you.
Any more doubts? You know how to contact me. Cheers!
I knew we could get answers in this thread. :p
DHL contacted me yesterday regarding this and have sent them a declaration letter and another letter stating personal ownership and content of the package. Let's see how it goes ! :dead:

You're not allowed to import human kidneys :p
Your cheque gets a couple of days late and you do this ! :bag:

Guys I need to import a low value phone which is worth about 9k . Which service can i use ?

Its been a long time since i have shipped something . I have a SNS account too .

^.. Import deposit can be refunded if the product is under Rs. 10k & marked as gift but don't think it gets approved all the time... May be with Amazon..

Got my stuff ordered from amazon :)

Shipped on 2nd , got it today :D

What was the email ID of aramex for getting Bill of Entry?
Hey, i had a doubt. With the global shipping option of amazon, Nexus 7 was showing 17k in total. So will customs be charged extra for this?

If the product is sold/shipped by Amazon, then only they would charge import fee deposit. So there won't be any extra custom charge. On the contrary if it's sold by some third party seller, they wont charge custom deposit on product payment but you will have to pay the customs after it reaches India.

Last edited:
Hey, i had a doubt. With the global shipping option of amazon, Nexus 7 was showing 17k in total. So will customs be charged extra for this?

Doesnt the 17k show you an import fees deposit?

If the product is sold/shipped by Amazon, they would charge import fee deposit. So there won't be any extra custom charge. On the contrary if it's sold by some third party seller, they wont charge custom deposit on product payment, so you will have to pay the customs after it reaches India.

Hardly any or NO third party seller ships to india..

Ishop will not give you the further 10% though.. Plus taxes for New York will be added to checkout. Plus the 50% shipping discount is over right?

Back