Sony Xperia S/P/U/Sola/GO Thread

I got the phone. My laptop wasn't working. After that preparing for my exams this week.

Let ics update come out this month. Last week. I'll review it in one go then itself.

^

Quick Q - Do you regret getting the Sola ?

Nope. Not 1 bit. Got it for 14k. Hell I can regret that! One thing is missing. 1 GB of RAM. (and front cam, but BLAH). That would have made this phone complete really. RAM management is something Sony should work on. My room mate's Xperia X10 Mini Pro (256 MB RAM), he gets more than 100 MB free RAM on a JELLY BEAN ROM.

I'm on Gingerbread and I don't get that! (unless using Advanced Task Killer on Auto Kill).

Otherwise, nope I don't regret this phone. And I believe RAM management (optimization) with a custom ROM running Jelly Bean will completely unlock this phone's potential.

Does anyone here own Xperia P?? Has anyone tried sweep2wake kernel?
comp@ddict Dark Star How does the xperia Solas screen unlock?? By power button only?

Yep by power button only.

@[comp@ddict] - I have too recently purchased an Xperia Sola from ebay and was wondering how many applications do you have running according to Advanced Task Killer at any given time? I have close too 10 applications such as McAfee, Recommender, etc. running even though I don't start them.

Is that McAfee app really useful? Because I have removed most of the Sony cr@p including McAfee in my Xperia U.
Surprisingly I didn't have to root for their removal!

^^ 500 MB RAM being used w00t? HOW!!! WHat!
Yes! I keep Facebook, whatsapp and viber always open in background. Along with that there is battery circle and a sense widget.
I have lots of apps but I do close rest of them by ICS task manager( swiping to left)

You can check XDA. Everyone's RAM usage is similar after update.

But ICS is snappier than GB and looks beautiful( Thank god moto went for a vanilla style than crappy blur)

I checked through various apps and all report clockspeed of 1200MHZ however, there is no official announcement from moto.

Isn't ready. FXP states they are actively working on it. Once I get the official ICS update I can be happy for a month or two, till then FXP can hopefully get a CM10 release ready :D

^ Unless Sony releases official JB for the Sola, there will always be minor niggles and bugs in any custom ROM that is created for it. Ask us S2 users. There are more than 10 'stable' Jelly Bean ROMs for our device, yet most of them have 2-3 major bugs like RIL deep sleep, partially working hwcomposer, etc. which makes it unusable (at least for me) as a daily driver.

You would be better off using a custom ROM based on ICS once the official update is out as this would help devs in porting the device specific drivers to their ROMs.

Back