Sony Xperia S/P/U/Sola/GO Thread

@YKW

You have the Xperia U, right? My girlfriend has the same phone and she's still on GB. I've asked her not to update it to official ICS due to conflicting reports on the net regarding several bugs on the official Sony ICS ROM. Can you shed some light on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Xavier
Yup I have XU. Earlier I thought you had XU as well, so do you have XS?

Yes a lot of people were complaining (particularly at the beginning of ICS launch) but things have settled down since courtesy XDA devs :bigok:
Unfortunately I couldn't spend a lot with my phone running GB.
Anyway I will try my best to give you the right view of ICS.

Key points I can think of :
- The picture quality from Camera clicks has degraded compared to GB(lot of noise visible).
- The phone does have occasional hiccups wherein the stock launcher becomes laggy and it takes couple of seconds to respond to your touch!
All of this generally happens while browsing only. But as I said this doesn't happen everyday and I use my phone extensively and exclusively for browsing :D
- Battery life is pretty much the same as GB IMO; not more not less.
- Facebook integration app has been disabled by Performance Assistant app by default in order to avoid any performance issues.

To summarize apart from Camera issue ICS is definitely worth a go!

Any more questions and clarifications are welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock ICS launcher lags horribly sometimes. I'm eagerly awaiting JB only for project butter.

I don't have any experience of GB as I upgraded to ICS as soon as I bought the phone. But there is a visible noise in camera images. Dunno if it was better in GB

Xavier
Yup I have XU. Earlier I thought you had XU as well, so do you have XS?

Yes a lot of people were complaining (particularly at the beginning of ICS launch) but things have settled down since courtesy XDA devs :bigok:
Unfortunately I couldn't spend a lot with my phone running GB.
Anyway I will try my best to give you the right view of ICS.

Key points I can think of :
- The picture quality from Camera clicks has degraded compared to GB(lot of noise visible).
- The phone does have occasional hiccups wherein the stock launcher becomes laggy and it takes couple of seconds to respond to your touch!
All of this generally happens while browsing only. But as I said this doesn't happen everyday and I use my phone extensively and exclusively for browsing :D
- Battery life is pretty much the same as GB IMO; not more not less.
- Facebook integration app has been disabled by Performance Assistant app by default in order to avoid any performance issues.

To summarize apart from Camera issue ICS is definitely worth a go!

Any more questions and clarifications are welcome :)

Thanks a ton, mate. This is really helpful :)

I have an S2, a ZTE Blade and a Nook Color. No Sony phone for me, yet. I've been somewhat active on this thread as most of the other phone threads are kinda dead now.

These points that you mentioned, are they specific to custom ROMs or the stock Sony ROM? My gf won't be rooting her phone anytime soon and needs to update through the official way. Also, is the lagginess due to the launcher or the overall ROM itself? Coz if it's the launcher, other launchers like Nova or Apex should perform better, right? Thanks, once again.

The stock ICS launcher lags horribly sometimes. I'm eagerly awaiting JB only for project butter.

I don't have any experience of GB as I upgraded too ICS add soon as I bought the phone. But there is a visible noise in camera images. Dunno if it was better in GB

Thanks for the insight :)

Xavier said:
I have an S2, a ZTE Blade and a Nook Color. No Sony phone for me, yet. I've been somewhat active on this thread as most of the other phone threads are kinda dead now.
Oh I see
Xavier said:
These points that you mentioned, are they specific to custom ROMs or the stock Sony ROM? My gf won't be rooting her phone anytime soon and needs to update through the official way. Also, is the lagginess due to the launcher or the overall ROM itself? Coz if it's the launcher, other launchers like Nova or Apex should perform better, right? Thanks, once again.
Yup I am referring to Stock ROM only. I myself haven't tried a single Custom ROM yet since I find the overall performance satisfactory for the moment.
The lagginess has more to do with the launcher the way I see it.
I have tried Apex but it seems to consumes a lot of battery even in idle state :23:
The main reason I haven't moved away from Stock Xperia Home Launcher is the fact that it's one of the lightest launcher which consumes minimal resources and at the same time is sleek.
So I guess the lagginess hasn't has to do much with the lack of RAM available but some other processes overloading the CPU(I am just guessing it :D)
Also an issue persists that we cannot use the Xperia Launcher widgets(especially the Power toggles) on any other third party launcher.

Xavier said:
Thanks a ton, mate. This is really helpful :)
Happy to help :)

Thanks, once again. I always thought that you were on CM9 or something, I don't know why. This is real good stuff if you have such good things to say about the stock ICS ROM. I guess I'll ask her to upgrade her phone as soon as she can. Yeah, most official/stock widgets do not work with third party launchers due to the difference in framework, odex/deodex state, etc.

Do try Holo Launcher HD if you didn't like Apex. I always switch between the two and while Apex is more customisable, Holo is definitely lighter on the system. I'm a hardcore AOSP fan, so nothing other than pure Google stuff works for me.

Will check Holo HD tomorrow.
Well I will be happy with any custom UI (Sense,TW or any other) when and if it is done the right way! :)

Okay guys the other day i wanted to transfer a file from my XS to a nokia lumia 800 . But i wanted to use NFC, can anyone tell me how to do that? Like if i want to send a song from my phone to a lumia, how using nfc?

Okay guys the other day i wanted to transfer a file from my XS to a nokia lumia 800 . But i wanted to use NFC, can anyone tell me how to do that? Like if i want to send a song from my phone to a lumia, how using nfc?

I don't think NFC works between different OS's and there are certain pre-requisites you have to meet for it to function (limited mode).

These are the steps if you wish to try -- http://www.sonymobile.com/in/support/faq/xperia-s/wireless-networks/i-cannot-transfer-a-file-using-nfc-what-do-i-need-to-think-about-1/

http://www.androidcentral.com/nfc-sharing-between-android-and-windows-phone-8 -- This link says that Windows Phone got NFC with the Windows8 OS and is not supported in Windows Phone 7.5.

I don't think NFC works between different OS's and there are certain pre-requisites you have to meet for it to function (limited mode).

These are the steps if you wish to try -- I cannot transfer a file using NFC, what do I need to think about? - Sony Smartphones (India)

NFC sharing between Android and Windows Phone 8 | Android Central -- This link says that Windows Phone got NFC with the Windows8 OS and is not supported in Windows Phone 7.5.
Okay so what is the use of NFC then ? Can I use it to transfer from android to android?

Back