Seagate Goflex Net Discussion

varkey said:
Did you install the ubit version from ArchLinux ? If yes, just append -no-uboot-check and run the installer.

no,i installed jeffs uboot.
also checked command with 'no-uboot-check' but got error saying md5 is not matching.
i think i got bad blocks on md0 , might have to install customize version of uboot.
If there is any other option then let me know.

I didn't turned on my pc today reached home late either wait for tomorrow or start reading

dinjo said:
I didn't turned on my pc today reached home late either wait for tomorrow or start reading

Tried this command :

yaourt aget

Getting this output:

1 community/armagetronad 0.2.8.3.1-2

A Tron Clone in 3D.

2 aur/armagetronad-svn 10069-1 (0)

A Tron Clone in 3D - svn version

3 aur/languagetool 1.5-1 (61)

An open source language checker

4 aur/libreoffice-extension-languagetool 1.5-1 (24)

An Open Source style and grammar checker (22 languages)

5 aur/vim-languagetool 1.14-2 (12)

Grammar checker for English, French, German (etc.) in Vim

==> Enter n° of packages to be installed (ex: 1 2 3 or 1-3)

I think still aget is not listed....

Update everything

Code:
pacman -S base-devel

yaourt -Syua

yaourt -Syu --devel --aur

Build aget manually from source

Code:
yaourt -Sb [aget]

If still cant you'll need to figure out.

Thanks Dinjo for replying to all noob queries...:clap:

While done some R&D, I think i have deleted some files and now its not letting me to login :death:

Its the most appropriate time to install debian on it.
Will follow this guide and tar.

Hopefully would not return with another round of noob queries:ashamed:

But here is the first one:bleh::

I will detach the HDD(it has some data) from goflex, attach to my PC, will run ubuntu, delete all files related to Archlinux. Then extract the debian tar file. Then change the mac address in /etc/network/interfaces.
Now after this, can I plug it into goflex and login as root or have I missed any steps here?

With 'autofs' installed , when i insert(to usb hub) flash/usb drive it mounts without any problem.

When i try to insert USB HDD having ntfs partition (2.5 passport) it won't detected , so any solution to automount it.

^ That rootfs was made for the Pogoplug Pro and has few Pogoplug specific changes and files. Although it should boot on a GoFlex as well, as the kernel etc for it is also available.

Or you can just create a new debian rootfs as shown here -- Howto: Create Debian rootfs image for your GoFlex/Dockstar via debootstrap on a Ubuntu/Debian PC

I again installed Archlinux, debian looked very tough to me as I am very new to linux
<

Now everything working smoothly, trying to install flexget to download direct links as aget is not available for Archlinux.

Thanks for all your help.

Another query, can i just let the goflex net on 24/7?

Ooook..I finally got those darn cables for hooking in the drives to the GoFlex Net. But I'm not sure where to start and need some help..

1) Should I first register myself on the Seagate site (I think it’s required for enabling SSH. Not sure)

2) Confused between Arch and Debian. My unix knowledge is limited to what I did on the router to install optware (Killall,wget, nano..). Basically, everything was copy+paste from here and there. So I'm cool with whatever as long I can go back to the original and start again. Since I don't have any reference, what is recommend (Arch/Debian)?

3) I've a 500GB GoFlex drive. So I can either hook it on the right Sata to install the above and also use it for downloads. I can switch off the hdd bay connected on the left when not in use. Or I can use the provided usb cable, so that the Sata port is available for future upgrades. Will it make a difference (USB/SATA)?

Now this one can very well be an idiotic question, but I'll still ask.

4) Since the drives are purely for media storage, I never wanted to go for Raid. I had initially started creating backups of my hdds. But once you go above 2-3TBs, creating an exact backup costs a lot of moolah and space. Yes I can very well "re-rip" the blurays if a hdd fails, but its going to be a major hassle. I've read about UnRaid,SpanRaid, FlexRaid etc., wherein I can have one hdd for parity and can keep adding drives to the array. As long as only one hdd goes bad, I can replace it and not lose any data. Is there something on those lines that I can use on the GoFlex?

1. Yes

2. Go with Arch Linux then

3. SATA = Faster.

4. If you want to go on Raid then go for debian, expect limited support from ArchLinux on it.

Back