Queries related to passport

The passport delivery was attempted yesterday but since no one was at home, they left a note. It said that we need to collect the passport in next 5 working days. I called up the Borivali post office and told them about it and they said we can collect on Saturday, that is when my dad will be able to go and take it.
My dad is going to take his ids as proof to take my passport from the post office. Does he need to take anything special or any mandatory document when collecting the passport ?
Asking because it is not going to be me who is taking my passport by my dad.

He will have to carry some Id-proof of yours too - pancard/driving licence/ even a xerox of your passport would do :)

...... He said keep the "fees" in the last page of the file. Sneaky I must say.

In case you end up paying some 'sneaky-fees' o_O to those creeps (cops) then make sure 100% that the local thana guys despatch your file ASAP (same or next-day) to your City Police HQ. Also ask them to give you the "Outbound-File No" [may not always be necessary as your original File No also will work]. Also ask them whom to get in touch with (name of the person/contact no) for the next/final level of your police verification (Police HQ).

I say this just in case your wish to pursue your application with speed - you will need to also bribe guys at the Police HQ to then clear your file ASAP & sent it back to the Passport Office for printing.

[All of the above applicable ONLY if your Passport is very urgent]

@djmykey How much "fees" did you "keep"..?

500/- :D

He will have to carry some Id-proof of yours too - pancard/driving licence/ even a xerox of your passport would do :)

I'm having serious doubts that the post office people would hand over the passport to another person despite he carrying the ID proof of the person whose passport is being collected. This I say coz the postman who came to my house... saw me arrive to my house and said.. you are right on time. Else you would have to come down to the post office. I said why, my whole family is at home.. He said I cannot hand over the passport to anyone other than you. Then he went ahead and asked me for an identity proof :confused: Then he proceeded to say this photo on the passport does not look like you.. :confused: I said gimme the passport. You have verified that its me with my ID proof.. the "not being me" part is my headache.. handover the passport.. He sheepishly gave me my passport, took my signature and went off.

I think he was trying to extract some kind of chai paani from me. I wasnt in the mood of giving him any.. :mad:

I'm having serious doubts that the post office people would hand over the passport to another person despite he carrying the ID proof of the person whose passport is being collected. This I say coz the postman who came to my house... saw me arrive to my house and said.. you are right on time. Else you would have to come down to the post office. I said why, my whole family is at home.. He said I cannot hand over the passport to anyone other than you. Then he went ahead and asked me for an identity proof :confused: Then he proceeded to say this photo on the passport does not look like you.. :confused: I said gimme the passport. You have verified that its me with my ID proof.. the "not being me" part is my headache.. handover the passport.. He sheepishly gave me my passport, took my signature and went off.

I think he was trying to extract some kind of chai paani from me. I wasnt in the mood of giving him any.. :mad:

Post Office cannot refuse to handover - esp if carries all the reqd id proofs

All these so called hard & fast rules are MADE by each tom/dick/harry ONLY to extract money ...... PERIOD:greedy:

postman gives the passport to anyone at home as long as you give him some 'happy money'. they just speak to you on the phone to confirm some details.

postman gives the passport to anyone at home as long as you give him some 'happy money'. they just speak to you on the phone to confirm some details.
I guess the "happy money" part depends on person to person basis. But I think the rule is the passport isn't handed over to anyone except the person to whom it belongs.
Again location to location these things might vary and also depends on people. We can just hope for the best !!

The passport comes in a sealed envelope,the postman has no authority to open and verify the Photo identity.

Part 1 of police verification completed. The cop came to my place, and got a photocopy of all the documents that were submitted to the passport office. In addition, he took the bonafide certificate of employment, letters from the references and my declaration stating that I am not involved in any criminal activity (as mentioned in my previous post). He has asked me to report tomorrow to the police station along with one passport size photograph, so that I can sign in the register in the station. He said there were no other formalities. I will know tomorrow if I need to pay any special "fees". But the guy who came today was very honest and straightforward.

Has anyone here gone under the POST part of verification wherein your passport reached home and later your police verification happens ? How does this go ?
Mine is under this category for PV so want to be aware about what to expect.

Has anyone here gone under the POST part of verification wherein your passport reached home and later your police verification happens ? How does this go ?
Mine is under this category for PV so want to be aware about what to expect.
You are in the same category as Mines.
Yours Pv will be done in three to seven working days..

Narration of events: the reissue of my passport.

PSK Saligramam, Chennai

I got my appointment scheduled for Aug 8, 10:00am, arrived half an hour earlier, the security at the gate directed me to a waiting hall. I was one large hall, really large waiting area, where one could ease himself, refreshments also provided, got to pay extra for that.

At 10:00 am the security calls in and proceeded to the sorting counter, here they check whether the basic documentations are in tact or not. Though you might get rejected at this place you can ask them to reconsider. Very helpful staff.

I applied under the TATKAL mode, but was rejected, though I had all the documentations as prescribed by the website, they did not consider PAN card and AADHAR card as far as PSK Saligramam is considered; its not accepted. So they asked me to still give it a try if you want to and directed me to counter A11.

At counter A11, the same iterations no PAN card accepted. I only had my bank statements, PAN card and Voters ID card as necessary proof; though had Annex I and signed document from my landlord, I still could only apply under NORMAL mode. He said dont worry your application will be processed in under 20days dot. He ask me to put in my old passport, bank statement and my Voters ID Card photocopies and keep them ready and proceed.

Okay not thinking too much I proceeded and he gave another counter on A where I did my photo, address verification, thumb prints, signs, document scanning. The lady at this counter clearly asked me one detail by detail and asked any addition or removal of words/letters were required.

I only wanted the word Street not to be written as “ST”. Online limit of characters for the address field is 79 Chars, but she can edit upto 82 Characters. A file is created and the documents are filed using a brown over cover paper file and tied with a loose thread.

Counter A processed and now to Counter B, I had to wait for sometime for the token to reflect on the LCD screen. Though the waiting area here is small, you can get yourself accommodated; also refreshments are provided at an extra cost. The token reflects, to counter B, here its a Government official; he just double checks all scanned documentations and asks no question to me. He opens the last page and asks me to write my name, sign and date it.

Proceeded to counter C, Here too there is a waiting area, enough place to sit. A green pen official finally signs the file. The lady asks me my name, place of birth and take my old passport and seals Cancelled. She lets me know it will be again processed under 20 days time.

Now the wait begins thinking when the police turns up for verification. I get a call on Aug 15, from the police saying he is coming for verification in the evening and to be at home. The police arrives in the evening, he pulls out his 3 page questionnaire and ask his sets of questions to verify my whereabouts. He too has the copies of all the documents submitted by me. He verifies my signatures again. As I stay in a rental accommodation he asks my room mate too , for how long i have been staying there. He takes my sign and left thumb print on two documentation. Though he did not demand anything I still paid something. For doing this he gave a big lecture of how I dont take money from anyone so on so.......! I just wanted my job to be done, cos I was in a desperate state to leave this country. That was done.

Now the online status changed to Passport printed on Aug 21. The passport dispatched on Aug 22, As I was not at home to collect the passport, I had to collect it from the Velachery Post office on Aug 23. Oh I had to tip the postman too. All in all I'm happy its over with ease.

Days took to process the Passport under NORMAL scheme, under 2 weeks. Considering two big holiday weekends of EID and Independence day. Superb.

Part 2 of verification over.. Had to go to the police station, give a photograph.. The photo was pasted in a register, and my signature and left thumb print was taken.

A different cop was there this time, and after finishing the formalities, he says, "normally I take an 'amount' from applicants, but 'coz you are a doctor, I am not taking..". I then ask him "how much do you usually take?" for which he replies "Rs.500, but I am not compelling you to pay anything.. he he he...". I then say "It's okay.." and pay him Rs.200. He grins sheepishly.. :p

The wait for passport printing and despatch now begins...

@logistopath where in India are you located, in some remote location; why Im asking this is because, literally cop makes an entry in this manner in their regitster, its the first time I have come across such a procedure!

okay that might be the reason, but even for first timers i havent really heard such step by step verification. Dunno if they changed they changed the protocol for their own gains?

I am not sure if this was done only for personal gain, and definitely not sure if the verification process is different for new issue and reissue. Each and every police station has its own way of verifying applicants, it seems. Some members here say they were never even visited by the police.. others had a physical verification at their premises.. mine was a two-step process.. While it is a bit tedious, I am at least happy the police here are taking the job of verification quite seriously.

Back