Queries related to passport

@terence_fdes; I already warned you about that blooper previously!
Also if I am not mistaken, I have come to know that once Speedpost returns, the stipulated number of days is 3; Please double check! Info is from my locality postman.

@terence_fdes; I already warned you about that blooper previously!
Also if I am not mistaken, I have come to know that once Speedpost returns, the stipulated number of days is 3; Please double check! Info is from my locality postman.

My dad asked the local postman and he said they keep packages for 1 week. Happened with my wife's PAN card, the slip was put at home on Monday and my dad went to take the PAN card package from post office on the saturday.

So mine reads now
Code:
Passport XXXXXXX has been dispatched on 19/08/2013 via Speed Post Tracking Number XXXXXXXXXXX.

On tracking the no. I found that its already reached my local main post office. Today or tomorrow I might get it :D

Basically whatever they ask for. I believe a PC will first make a visit to your house, and ensure that you reside there. He will also get the signatures from the reference people in the neighbourhood. He will then ask you to report to the police station on a specified date, and will mention what documents you need to carry. At least, this was what was told to me when I visited the police station a couple of days ago. The policeman asked me to wait for the physical verification, and then report to the station.

In addition to the documents provided at the passport office, he told that I would need to carry handwritten letters from the references saying that they know me for n number of years, and that they know that I do not have any cases in my name or that I am not affiliated to any political/criminal organisation. He also mentioned that I would need to get them attested at my local Village Officer.

Ohk ... as references I have given contacts of my friends & they reside 20 km away from my place ! Is it necessary to give neighbours contacts ?? Coz they might not be there when cop come for physical inspection.

It is not mandatory to give neighbours' contacts. However, it would have been easier for both yourself and the PC. Doesn't really matter though.

Ohk ... as references I have given contacts of my friends & they reside 20 km away from my place ! Is it necessary to give neighbours contacts ?? Coz they might not be there when cop come for physical inspection.

Yes it is necessary to give at least 2 immediate neighbours contacts - BECAUSE that would speed up the process of the Police Constable 'completing the verification procedures'.

If you give references of folks that are miles away - this may only delay the verification procedure [Would the local Cop travel 20 kms to get your friends signatures :eek: !!]

You could still however resolve this issue with some 'minor bribe' - after stating your references/contact nos - the Constable may close the verification procedure - without actually getting your friends signatures :p

In addition to the documents provided at the passport office, he told that I would need to carry handwritten letters from the references saying that they know me for n number of years, and that they know that I do not have any cases in my name or that I am not affiliated to any political/criminal organisation. He also mentioned that I would need to get them attested at my local Village Officer.

These are indeed ridiculous attestments :arghh: - BUT as so many of us would have witnessed - that there are NO hard and fast rules - each 'official / babu ' down the road makes up their own set of rules.

RULES FOR COMPLETING THE ENTIRE PASSPORT PROCUREMENT AND POLICE VERIFICATION PROCEDURES ARE NOT RATIONAL OR SIMPLE - IT WILL ALWAYS VARY FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL - Based on the whims and fancies of the local babu's !!

We are left with no options/choices to dissent ..... BUT comply silently with what we are told.

UPDATE : Online Status on the Website is NEVER ACCURATE
My wife received her pp on 17/08/2013 ..... the status was finally updated ONLY on 19/08/2013 after 15:00 hrs. She has NOT received the intended despatch sms and speedpost tracking details :clown:
My daughter's pp delivery is still spending

He also mentioned that I would need to get them attested at my local Village Officer.
Are they changing rules every week? :( During my wife's passport, police came to my house, also checked with neighbors and asked to come to police station for signing with photo graph and all the proofs. After one week of this process, Passport office had the same old status.. waiting for local police verification... So i again went to police station for checking and i saw huge crowd, all came for verification. To all of them, they were telling to get sign from neighbours/reference on the specified application form + ration card copy of reference. when i asked the police, why this was not done for me(luckily they didnt do for me :D).. his reply.. You are lucky.. these are the new rules they got from last week(exactly next day after my verification got over) :D

Now in your case... VO attestation :(

for my police verification, the cop came home. then took the signatures of neighbors and left. the passport arrived after few days. I never went to the police station
neighbours = the ones living next to your house or neighbouring bungalows.

It is true about neighbor contact references. I wrote names of my father in law and mother in law and I was told to change that and give names of my neighbors instead.

@smnrock No hard and fast rules anywhere. I got all this information from the policeman in the station when I visited 5 days ago. He even referred me to the photocopy shop opposite the station which had specimen letters and forms for the same. The cop who called me today however just mentioned that I need to have a certificate stating my current employment from my employer. Not sure what all he will ask when he comes for the physical verification.

@puns You are very very lucky mate..

Status changed to...

Passport XXXXX has been dispatched on 20/08/2013 via Speed Post Tracking Number EAXXXXXXXIN.

Last status for tracking number shows...

20/08/201308:06:11BORIVALI H.OItem Received

Does this mean it would have attempted delivery today or may be they will do it tomorrow ? I will need to ask my dad whether there is any slip kept by the postman or not and if not then he might have to visit the post office and check.

Does this mean it would have attempted delivery today or may be they will do it tomorrow ?

You should receive it today.

I got my daughters pp delivered yesterday at 01:30 pm.

And the sms/email came (has been despatched....blah...blah) in at 9:57 pm
[Their software is programmed to issued the sms & email ONLY after 9:55 pm :bawling: ...... and that too after we receive the pp :nailbiting:]

In my case of police verification, I took 2 letters signed by my neighbours, a letter by the Chairman of our society, bank statement, mseb bill, index 2 of my house.
On receipt of these docs the police made a file of my docs, and told me to get a xerox of the whole file. He said keep the "fees" in the last page of the file. Sneaky I must say.
Also he was talking so fast that I hardly could understand anything :| That was to avoid any kind of recording I guess :p

No police ever turned up to see if I actually lived where I claimed to live. This I did find weird.

The passport delivery was attempted yesterday but since no one was at home, they left a note. It said that we need to collect the passport in next 5 working days. I called up the Borivali post office and told them about it and they said we can collect on Saturday, that is when my dad will be able to go and take it.
My dad is going to take his ids as proof to take my passport from the post office. Does he need to take anything special or any mandatory document when collecting the passport ?
Asking because it is not going to be me who is taking my passport by my dad.

Back