Putting CCTV Signal in an residential complex for owners to see CCTV feed

May be restrict by MAC ids of the computers ? not sure how to then access through mobile then. May be some sort of trusted device list (if there is any such facility).
Yes mac ids can be used to restrict access, and mobile mac I'd can be added too.

We have spent close to 7 lakhs for setting up high Resolution State of Art system with 24 hours monitoring by a dedicated supervisor and full D1 recording
It has also become mandatory for all multistoried apartments in Bangalore to have a CCTV system by the police
Can you give the setup configuration, 7 lac is way too much so surely the system should be something high class.

The security angle can be assessed only when we narrow down the technology we can use

We will surely have safeguards so that unauthorized people cannot view the feed under anycircumstances

The security angle can be assessed only when we narrow down the technology we can use

We will surely have safeguards so that unauthorized people cannot view the feed under anycircumstances

Right but just ensure that password is not the only authorization. Mac Ids is a good option because you will only enter the ids of people in your society and if someone buys a new device the new mac id can always be added.

Right but just ensure that password is not the only authorization. Mac Ids is a good option because you will only enter the ids of people in your society and if someone buys a new device the new mac id can always be added.

Will surely add the mac id restriction if technically feasible

Thanks for advising

May be restrict by MAC ids of the computers ? not sure how to then access through mobile then. May be some sort of trusted device list (if there is any such facility).

Using the feed in a dhcp enabled local network with a simple access-list would solve the problem you are talking about. Any good router have support for ACL.

Can you give the setup configuration, 7 lac is way too much so surely the system should be something high class.

We have 17 700 TVL Wide Angle Cameras with Variable Focal Lens
We also have 2 PTZ Cameras again with Zoom and Variable focal lens
We have taken 2 DVRs of 16 Ch each with full D1 recording at 25fps quality to take care of future expansion
Because our complex is spread over a very wide area, and the supervision is from one extreme end, the cabling cost is very high
We had to build a new security cabin for the supervisor and the Tv and also provide Poles to install cameras in several locations
We have also placed the DVR at different locations to minimise Cables from Camera to DVR but had to spend nearly 50K for a High powered PC to display the images using CMS

All these added up to nearly 7 lakhs

Hope this breakup helps

And you, sir, need to understand the facts before jumping into dramatic conclusions and eventually passively abusing someone totally unknown to you.
I don't want to do this, but I think before stopping you guys from misleading someone, I think it's best for me to flash my relevant degrees.
I've CCNP,CCNP-Security, CCDP, CCNP-wireless, and CCIE written passed. Thus I am supposed to know these matters a little bit better than your esteemed knowledge.

And, I'm not asking for your forgiveness for being rude.[DOUBLEPOST=1368772267][/DOUBLEPOST]

Using the feed in a dhcp enabled local network with a simple access-list would solve the problem you are talking about. Any good router have support for ACL.

Thanks for taking interest in this discussion.
Take his comments lightly. In the forum we say a lot of things in a friendly way and should not be taken as an insult.
We are all friends here helping each other out with some jokes and leg pulling enroute

It has also become mandatory for all multistoried apartments in Bangalore to have a CCTV system by the police
Since when ?

Have never heard of such a requirement to date say for a 3 storied apartment.

How about a video feed via cable. Unfortunately we do not build with cable tv in mind here otherwise all you would have to do is switch to the right channel on your TV and be done. Everybody has a TV. Do they all get progamming via dish or are there also cable wallah subscribers in the buildings. If so is there a central point in each building where such a connection is made.

For satelites it would be on the roof.

Since when ?

Have never heard of such a requirement to date say for a 3 storied apartment.

How about a video feed via cable. Unfortunately we do not build with cable tv in mind here otherwise all you would have to do is switch to the right channel on your TV and be done. Everybody has a TV. Do they all get progamming via dish or are there also cable wallah subscribers in the buildings. If so is there a central point in each building where such a connection is made.

For satelites it would be on the roof.

It was in the newspapers
It will not be applicable for individual houses or small buildings having a few flats
All large apartments like ours will mandatory need to have a CCTV recording in case of an incident report to the police of the main gate atleast

We have Cable TV in the complex but that is also through a Set top box now.
Earlier when set top box was not required we were getting the feed from a single camera installed at the gate to our tv on a dedicated channel
I do not know if the feed can still be accessed through a set top box also ?
Is a technology available ?

Thanks for advising

We have Cable TV in the complex but that is also through a Set top box now.
Earlier when set top box was not required we were getting the feed from a single camera installed at the gate to our tv on a dedicated channel
I do not know if the feed can still be accessed through a set top box also ?
Is a technology available ?
Its worth investigating. Why don't you talk to the cable tv guys.

You already have the infrastructure in place. The wifi requirement you added seems superfluous in this regard.

Why does it have to be over wfi if it can be accessed via tv.

Its worth investigating. Why don't you talk to the cable tv guys.

You already have the infrastructure in place. The wifi requirement you added seems superfluous in this regard.

Why does it have to be over wfi if it can be accessed via tv.

Even if the Signal can be given over the cable TV Network, More then half of the Residents have switched over to Tatasky Airtel etc.
So they would not be able to take advantage of the same
But even for half the Residents, it is worth exploring
Will contact the cable guy and ask him the feasibility

Thanks for advising

Even if the Signal can be given over the cable TV Network, More then half of the Residents have switched over to Tatasky Airtel etc.
So they would n ot be able to take advantage of the same
Even if they have switched over to D2H services, they must still be having the earlier cable terminating in their houses.
STBs connect to the TV using either Composite Video, Component Video or HDMI, so the RF input of the TV is available of the cable. Wouldn't that work? Or am I missing something?

Contacted the Cable guy who roams in the building
He is a simpleton having no technical knowledge, as his expertise is limited to solving set top box connections
He will ask his boss to get in touch with me for a discussion

The earlier cable is still available in each flat.
But if that will be used, I think the Cable guy will want his monthly payment as it will carry all the signals of the Cable TV also
Anyways that bridge can be crossed if it is possible to send the signal along with the set top box

Thanks for advising

Most Welcome

I am in Jayanagar, Bangalore

I will PM you my mobile number
You can contact me if necessary

Thanks For advising

I am also in Blr for a few days, I will talk to my guys here as well and message you some contact details.

The earlier cable is still available in each flat.
But if that will be used, I think the Cable guy will want his monthly payment as it will carry all the signals of the Cable TV also
Actually no, if cable guy is not providing any service to people then you have covered those people already. All they need is to attach a splitter with a switch to choose between their DTH provider and the building signal which was already available previously as you stated.

Question: who owns the cables in the building ? the building or the cable guy. Its not the cable guy. Cable guy can only charge you if you make use of his service.

More i think of it your solution is something known as MOCA. Inserting a signal over coax.

Your video feed is sent to the connection point for cable in the building and every flat has a little adapter that they can connect to to get that signal over the cable.

We already have the old equipment to send the CCTV images on the cable network, which is owned by us.
Even if the Cable is owned by the Building, the Cable TV data is also running on the same cable ?
So if an owner who has subscribed to Tata Sky, connects his TV to the Cable to see only the CCTV feed, will he also not get the TV feed ?
How can the Cable guy ensure that the owners are not seeing the Cable TV for free ?

Thanks for advising

Even if the Cable is owned by the Building, the Cable TV data is also running on the same cable ?
So if an owner who has subscribed to Tata Sky, connects his TV to the Cable to see only the CCTV feed, will he also not get the TV feed ?
How can the Cable guy ensure that the owners are not seeing the Cable TV for free ?
The cable tv coaxial cable is capable of carrying both, the analog and digital simultaneously. In major cities, the analog signals should be switched off. Refer http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...nalog-signals-go-out-today/article4626352.ece

To view the digital signal available on the coaxial cable, a STB is required. Therefore, those you haven't subscribed to the cable guy's services, will not be able to view the digital signal.

I am not sure about the exact kind of hardware required, but this is what will have to be done
1. Strip of the cable guy's analog signal (if present)
2. Keep the cable guy's digital signal
3. Add your CCTV signal as an analog signal to the coaxial able. So, Channel 1 = CCTV1, Channel 2 = CCTV2 etc.

Back