Putting CCTV Signal in an residential complex for owners to see CCTV feed

How about having wires running between routers, say floor to floor and wing to wing with each floor having one router or if the router is really high range then 1 router for 3 floors or so and use the wifi only for last mile connectivity between consumer / user's device and access to content.

So something like this

Main Server / DVR etc -> WIRE -> Router 1 -> WIRE -> Router 2 ---------->WIRE -------> Router N

Users in buildings can use any of these routers (nearest to their flat) to access the content through WIFI.

I have no idea how feasible or possible this is, but just a thought.
This is obviously better option, but incase the wiring can be done then individual flats can have wiring and it's upto them to attach a router at their expense. The initial setup cost is high but the down time should be very low.

In my case, nobody in the building is interested so I am getting the lan wired to my main nas/wifi room at my cost. And thus can access over Internet.

We do not want to use the internet as internet connections have a high recurring cost and have very low upload speeds

Yet it would be the simplest. You would have to install some sort of streamer on the backend.

How much do you estimate traffic would be ?

We want to put our 16 CCTV Camera system on wifi so that the owners can see the feeds from the cameras on their mobiles when within the complex.
All owners have an internet connection.

How about having wires running between routers, say floor to floor and wing to wing with each floor having one router or if the router is really high range then 1 router for 3 floors or so and use the wifi only for last mile connectivity between consumer / user's device and access to content.

So something like this

Main Server / DVR etc -> WIRE -> Router 1 -> WIRE -> Router 2 ---------->WIRE -------> Router N

Users in buildings can use any of these routers (nearest to their flat) to access the content through WIFI.

I have no idea how feasible or possible this is, but just a thought.

This is exactly I also envisaged in my mind, but as having no practical knowledge of networking cannot proceed further

Post a layout of your building. If we give advices blindly none of it will work.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2918/adrashlayout.png

I have loaded a Google map snapshot and circled the individual buildings

Basically the layout is in form of a Capital J

6 Blocks each having 5 floors
About 12,000 Sft on each floor in each block
4 flats on each floor in all 4 corners

350M distance from end to the other

Please let me know if you need any more details

Thanks for advising

You mean to say two N300 routers will cover the whole area the op has mentioned.
Lmao
Yes, it's no rocket science.

I have said two good N300 routers, not those cheap 1-5K priced ones

P.S. Linksys is toy compared to cisco. I hope you have got my point.

We can even install 25 N300 Routers if we can get the CCTV feed end to end

But nobody is coming forward with any viable solution.
Have emailed to Cisco & Dlink, but no response
Thanks for advising

Before emailing CISCO, you could have made a through search in their site. Then the solution would have come right in front of you.
Have money to afford the solution??
Get a real AP like Cisco Aironet 1550 series CAP1552E.
Details: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps11451/data_sheet_c78-641373.html
Connect it to the feed directly, and anyone can access the wifi and get access to the feeds.

I should warn you though. It would cost ~$3K if you are not linked to Cisco by any means.

The relatively cheaper solutions being: Aironet 1520, 1300 series APs. In those cases you will lose the 802.11N connectivity.

:eek: I thought it was L shaped. This looks really complicated if you go the wireless way. I can't think of anything.

If viewing the feed on mobile is main criteria, can't the feed source be shared on a pogoplug or something and then be accessed via password protected site on internet? I mean Something like how webcams give pics every minute or so to connected devices.

If viewing the feed on mobile is main criteria, can't the feed source be shared on a pogoplug or something and then be accessed via password protected site on internet? I mean Something like how webcams give pics every minute or so to connected devices.
Does he want time lapse pics or live ?

What is the bitrate of the video files so we can get an idea of data requirements.

^ Linksys was a brand of Cisco. Cisco sold it to Belkin in January or February of this year.

Leaving that aside, I guess even time lapse pics would suffice for this since it would be viewed from home and not the society office. Viewing real time feed would require enough bandwidth depending on feed quality. If the feed is over RF cable, I think you could feed it over normal 75ohm TV cable also as a separate channel. I doubt if it could be viewed on a mobile though.

While everybody focuses on the transmission, what exactly are your 'society members' connecting to?

First off, putting a CCTV feed outside a security room is in itself a pretty slipshod way of handling security. Feed is privileged information and frankly the less known about it the better. This way basically a large number of people know where the cameras are and what they point at, and can basically nullify any advantages of the entire setup. It only takes one disgruntled member to change the complexion of the game.

Second, I assume what you will connect to is the DVR itself, running as a service over an IP on your local network. You will be limited to the max number of simultaneous users in the DVR (usually 10 or 20). In this case all you need to do is connect your wireless AP to the same network and when your 'members' connect to that network they will be able to access it using their mobile browsers or any app that can connect to it directly over its IP address.

Now to the broadcast itself, you will need high power APs and directional antennae. This is a very wasteful way to broadcast - wastes energy, will cause problems because the frequency and power levels are unsuitable and may even be illegal, interfere with other gadgets and so on. You can use several low-power APs but you'll need lots (think 1 for every 3 floors). G network is better suited than N because it has better transmit power and greater cut-through concrete walls, and will have sufficient bandwidth for the application.

The best way to do this is create a DDNS for your DVR and have members use their mobile internet connection to access the DDNS. You'll need a 2Mbps connection or a 1Mbps connection with 1:1 upload ratio, known as enterprise connection. 1Mbps should be more than sufficient for 3-4 simultaneous users.

I agree with cranky's post. If you use a wireless network (unsecured), you would be broadcasting the cctv feed to nearby building's too. I'm guessing someone saw those cctv with web access and must have thought of this.

@TS, in your other thread, you mentioned that you will get a 4x4 feed ( proposed on a 32inch tv). Do you member's want these 16 images to be viewed on a 4inch mobile screen? Or are you people planning to view individual cam feeds? A person will have to squint and see the resized image on his mobile. Even then it would be tough.

I thought we could secure the broadcast by using passwords
Moreover, the broadcast is not of any sensitive areas
The main Gate, pathways, Basements etc. which would be very boring anyways to an outsider
The cameras will not be hidden but would be placed in prominent locations so everyone basically knows where the cameras are

How many of these routers would we require to effectively cover the entire complex ?
Cisco Aironet 1550 series CAP1552E.

Thanks for advising

Totally stupid of me to say this but have you considered putting up fake cameras to deter someone ?
The look exactly like real CCTV cams or those black semicircle orbs upside down and also have a blinking red LED to represent (fake) that they are working. Battery operated offcourse.
I know this is not a solution and just plain stupid but i know individual houses might do this just to deter people from attempting something they would if the CCTV wasn't there in the first place.

Totally stupid of me to say this but have you considered putting up fake cameras to deter someone ?
The look exactly like real CCTV cams or those black semicircle orbs upside down and also have a blinking red LED to represent (fake) that they are working. Battery operated offcourse.
I know this is not a solution and just plain stupid but i know individual houses might do this just to deter people from attempting something they would if the CCTV wasn't there in the first place.

We have spent close to 7 lakhs for setting up high Resolution State of Art system with 24 hours monitoring by a dedicated supervisor and full D1 recording
It has also become mandatory for all multistoried apartments in Bangalore to have a CCTV system by the police

I thought we could secure the broadcast by using passwords
Moreover, the broadcast is not of any sensitive areas
The main Gate, pathways, Basements etc. which would be very boring anyways to an outsider
The cameras will not be hidden but would be placed in prominent locations......
Thanks for advising
Main gate, basement etc are all places of more interest to robbers. These become their entry/ exit points. If by chance someone knew password from some family servant, they could stake out your main gate through phone and find out times most suitable for their jobs.

May be restrict by MAC ids of the computers ? not sure how to then access through mobile then. May be some sort of trusted device list (if there is any such facility).

Back