Putting CCTV Signal in an residential complex for owners to see CCTV feed

Hi

We want to put our 16 CCTV Camera system on wifi so that the owners can see the feeds from the cameras on their mobiles when within the complex.
A 300 M Radius is all we require.

The CCTV feeds are recorded in the DVR and then taken to a PC for display

So we can install all the necessary cards or external equipment etc. in the PC and individual blocks to facilitate this.

We do not want to use the internet as internet connections have a high recurring cost and have very low upload speeds

We have 6 Blocks of apartments with each block having 5 floors. So total 36 floors (Incl. Ground floor)
The Blocks are arranged in L shape and the farthest distance between the ends is nearly 350 m

Is there any cost effective solution ?

Thanks for advising

Wifi signals cannot cross concrete walls, Internet seems the best option and should work out cheaper than putting up multiple access points.

Wifi signals cannot cross concrete walls, Internet seems the best option and should work out cheaper than putting up multiple access points.

If we use the internet, I require mainly upload speed and I think most Broadband providers give very low upload speed as compared to download
I am using Airtel and I have 8 Mbps download and 0.75 MB upload only

Any idea if any Broadband provider gives very high upload speed also at a reasonable cost ?

Thanks for advising

0.75 mbps is not bad for viewing cctv footage but more than 2-3 person viewing or accessing the dvr will be a problem. Wire is the best solution, but it will work out expensive. Further all household won't have infrastructure / hardware to view the feed over the land wire.
Last resort is to have wifi access point on every building but that too again being wifi will be limited to few floors and work mainly near doors.
Another option, If you install the wifi in say front of the building, people on the backside on higher floors won't have good reception.
Hope I cleared all your queries.

apart from writing to aritel, check out those long range industrial routers/repeaters. i don't know if they are cost effective for your society but they are meant for large buildings/areas.

In the long run having multiple access points will work out cheaper, and it'll have other benefits too. Such as multi-player gaming, accessing society bills on a private network, having an internal website/database for members etc. There won't be any recurring costs, and no FUP's. You'll also be able to add wi-fi cctv cams anywhere, without worrying too much about cabling etc.

In the long run having multiple access points will work out cheaper, and it'll have other benefits too. Such as multi-player gaming, accessing society bills on a private network, having an internal website/database for members etc. There won't be any recurring costs, and no FUP's. You'll also be able to add wi-fi cctv cams anywhere, without worrying too much about cabling etc.

That was my intention, but I am hitting a roadblock as I have basically no idea about how to go about it.
Hence if one of the techies could advise suitable equipment, I could take it further from there[DOUBLEPOST=1368681725][/DOUBLEPOST]
apart from writing to aritel, check out those long range industrial routers/repeaters. i don't know if they are cost effective for your society but they are meant for large buildings/areas.

Contacted Cisco Call Centre.
The guys there are absolutely ignorant as to what is required for my purpose.
They are sitting there just to answer simple queries on specific models of their equipment

Thanks for advising

Contacted Cisco Call Centre.
The guys there are absolutely ignorant as to what is required for my purpose.
They are sitting there just to answer simple queries on specific models of their equipment

LOL... i was just about to write that yes, they do have customized solutions. i was at this page http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns1015/index.html when a chat window popped up with some "cisco expert" on the other end... i guess, it's meant for the US market.

anyways, almost all the router manufactures would have some kind of industrial grade devices, including Cisco.

i can't provide you more information on this but there are solutions where a signal is converted to GSM/CDMA and then fed to wi-fi access points, to enable long distance travel. i've seen it in operation but don't know who does it.

all those huge software firms have their whole buildings over wireless network. so, this thing is definitely available in india. it must be a combination of high strength routers + repeaters etc.

who said that? :rolleyes:
@OP: It's not a rocket science.
Use local network to distribute the feeds, via wifi or LAN.
Use two good N300 routers if you plan to use wifi.
You mean to say two N300 routers will cover the whole area the op has mentioned.
Lmao
Yes, it's no rocket science.

You mean to say two N300 routers will cover the whole area the op has mentioned.
Lmao
Yes, it's no rocket science.

I think more articles are available on the net for rocket science then for this application

We can even install 25 N300 Routers if we can get the CCTV feed end to end

But nobody is coming forward with any viable solution.
Have emailed to Cisco & Dlink, but no response

Thanks for advising

You need something like this I guess.
http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/de...less-N+600mW+Gigabit+Dual+Band+Range+Extender

Specs say: up to 10k sqft coverage.:eek:
All routers coverage mentioned are for open areas. In such cases one shall be able to access wifi near windows and signal will keep on reducing as you move away from it. Thus depending on your building plan it may or may not be useful.
For me nothing beats the lan wire. I plan to get it done in my house soon.

Although not this large scale, one of my friends' did a renovation to the house some time back and has LAN wires running through the house (concealed) and has points at various locations inside the house. All this connected to a common router / modem in the house.

All routers coverage mentioned are for open areas. In such cases one shall be able to access wifi near windows and signal will keep on reducing as you move away from it. Thus depending on your building plan it may or may not be useful.
For me nothing beats the lan wire. I plan to get it done in my house soon.

The routers will have to be placed in the lobbies of each floor.
It can be placed in the centre of the Lobby with the 4 flats on the 4 corners of each lobby
So the signals will have to invariably pass through concrete walls to enter the individual flats and then brick walls to cross into the rooms.
Is this feasible with N300 ?

Thanks for advising

The routers will have to be placed in the lobbies of each floor.
It can be placed in the centre of the Lobby with the 4 flats on the 4 corners of each lobby
So the signals will have to invariably pass through concrete walls to enter the individual flats and then brick walls to cross into the rooms.
Is this feasible with N300 ?

Thanks for advising

I have tried pronet, apple time capsule, d-link, linksys e4200 and a few more. None could cross 2 brick walls though I could get the signal on the road 500 mtrs away from my building. These high db antennas are only hope but again how good are they with walls need to be checked. Also note a repeater reduces the transfer speeds by half, thus access point are considered better.
The easiest option is Internet and atmost you could try the high gain antenna.

How about having wires running between routers, say floor to floor and wing to wing with each floor having one router or if the router is really high range then 1 router for 3 floors or so and use the wifi only for last mile connectivity between consumer / user's device and access to content.

So something like this

Main Server / DVR etc -> WIRE -> Router 1 -> WIRE -> Router 2 ---------->WIRE -------> Router N

Users in buildings can use any of these routers (nearest to their flat) to access the content through WIFI.

I have no idea how feasible or possible this is, but just a thought.

Back