PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

Guys...I just got a pogoplug Series 4 from amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-Seri...=1390366768&sr=8-1&keywords=pogoplug+series+4

Ofcourse now I want to install Linux as I want to access the contents plugged on the device from anywhere and everywhere.

The issue is that I have searched all over the web but I was unable to find a idiot friendly guide that answers some of my basic questions:(
If anyone can help and guide me it would be great.

Questions:
  • Post installing Linux, Samba - will I be able to access the contents anywhere over the internet? (as of now, with pogoplug registration and app I am able to access over the internet - all auto config during registration)
  • How would I be able to access the device - meaning what would be the url and id/pwd for accessing the pogo plug from over the internet?
  • If there a tutorial I should refer to for start to end installation?

I really loved the Asus RT-N13 tutorial made by @dinjo so was hoping I could get some help here as well[DOUBLEPOST=1390367157][/DOUBLEPOST]Some sites I am referring to:
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-series-4
http://support.pogoplug.com/entries...n-Pogoplug-4-Pogoplug-Pro-and-Pogoplug-Office
http://www.razva.ro/how-to-install-samba-on-pogoplug-4/
There are others as well....

1. For accessing data over internet you need to get DDNS installed and running - http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/ddns-the-easy-way.130654/
2. That's what you will need to configure in Dynamic DDNS i would recommend you to read wiki on DDNS first to understand better.
3. Would recommend to install Debian instead of ArchLinux if you want to play around with device a lot but install of debian maybe not be straight forward when compared to ArchLinux - You can read this thread to know more about it - http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,11538,11538,quote=1 and ask for help on doozan forum there won't be any tutorial for it you have to work it out everything yourself if you want to reach to doozan.

Unfortunately i have some health issues and hence not really active nowadays so I'll let others also reply here.

Hey @dinjo ...Whats up and howz ur health mate?
And take care of ur health. Wish u speedy recovery.

Guys,
Had a quick question:
I installed optware and Samba in the pogoplug V4 yesterday...all went fine.

Issue:
  • I am able to access the file system but when I try to play a file from my mobile....it copies the file onyto the phone first which is frustating (imagine 4Gb being copied)....
  • I want movies, songs, pics to be played/viewed directly off the device - How can I do this??

What I have done till now:

• Tried installing ALARM but somehow Pogoplug was going into a boot loop on rebbot so abandoned this.
  • I got a tutorial where I could only install Optware, SAMBA so I followed than and succedded:
Please note - I can install ALARM (if its required for what I need).

END GOAL I am looking for:
A device that can have my movies, songs and pics and can be viewed from my android and windows (7.8) Phone, ipad, PS3, :)

Links:

For installing only SAMBA, optware

For installing ALARM and f**king array for apps:):)

Need your help as I have wasted more than a month now looking at the internet and its killing me now:)

Thanks in advance!!!!!
@varkey , @ubergeek ,@distro , @6pack

No issues mate... U can look at ur leisure. :)
Can you just answer the query I posted...I know you have the answer and I am struggling (I need to show-off real fast infront of my family folks showing this NAS)

Issue:
  • I am able to access the file system but when I try to play a file from my mobile....it copies the file onyto the phone first which is frustating (imagine 4Gb being copied)....
  • I want movies, songs, pics to be played/viewed directly off the device - How can I do this??

@vercetti thanks for the wealth of information ill look into this :D

Install miniDLNA. Although you should be able to stream directly off Samba as well without copying. Install BSPlayer, click on LAN, add your device and you should be able to play files directly.

Cool...thanks - will try both of these out.

Are the above only for android or for windows and iphone as well (I have all 3 phones in my house :()
Install miniDLNA. Although you should be able to stream directly off Samba as well without copying. Install BSPlayer, click on LAN, add your device and you should be able to play files directly.

I'm little better nowadays though still not 100%

Add these lines to smb.conf

Code:
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
write cache size = 2097152 # 2MB - you should test some values it's pretty memory intesive
use sendfile = yes

In Mobile use ES File explorer to play movies.

And avoid MiniDLNA as far as possible.

Thanks Dinjo.
What does the below lines do? cache?

Also, I am getting just 7-10MBPS transfer speeds on LAN (from PC to pogoplug). I read that we can expect 28MBPS transfer rates with ease. is the low rate due to optware installation? Will I benefit in speed on installing ALARM??

Add these lines to smb.conf
Code:
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
write cache size = 2097152 # 2MB - you should test some values it's pretty memory intesive
use sendfile = yes

In android
  • I am using ES file explorer but the issue is that I am not able to make playlists for my songs and videos.
  • Using BS player is also not proving very effective as it crashes very very often - But as of now I have made some playlists and am able to work with that.
  • Any better player out there to maintain playlists and play off a SAMBA server?
In iPAD
  • I use oPlayer HD lite - buffers even 5MB mp3 songs (%$#@). but once the buffering is done playback is smooth.
    • Does not support 1080p's and AC3 sound. #$%$#@
  • Can anyone help with a better SAMBA player?
in Windows 7.8 phone:
I haven't been able to FIND ANY PLAYER SUPPORTING SAMBA PLAYBACK:(:(

I don't think the iPad 3 would support 1080p mkv's. Nothing you can do.

As for transfer speeds, do you have gigabit LAN?

Pogo is 100 Mbps Ethernet so max you can get it 11MBps ,you can refer man page of smb.conf for detailed info on those options.

For creating playlist of samba on android use Neutron Music Player, iPad is shit it does not allow much freedom here sorry but you will have to get 2-3 apps to even stream a 720p properly.

For windows forget about it i have Lumia 520 and as per Microsoft policies they would never give a explorer

Back