Car & Bike Please suggest family hatchback under 5L

Best on-paper option is the Renault Kwid. But it is not available and Renault service is notoriously pathetic.

The next best option - the prefect city drive - Tata Nano may be discontinued altogether by 2017.

Others like Datsun Go are not worth even looking at.

AMTs of Celerio & WagonR are more than 5 lakhs - the budget that is mentioned.

Among the above two - Wagon R is better ergonomically speaking. So even after ~15 years it is still #3 seller in the country. Celerio does not even have adjustable head-rests.

That leaves only Maruti Alto in your budget.
In the Alto range, get the 800, not K10 - which is 1000cc. Smaller engine means it is comparatively slower off-the-blocks which will help novice drivers. There is difference in the cabin space.

Stretch your budget a bit & get the Baleno. Base model is still a complete pkg.

A substantially higher segment car that is real VFM currently.

Unfortunately, I've already stretched my budget from initial 4.5L to my current 5L. So increasing the budget isn't an option. I'll still have a look at Baleno price and features.
Currently i10 magna is on the top of my list. Everyone in family likes the look and have good feedback from couple of friends who own this.

There was a comparison video between i10 and the new mahindra t100. The mahindra seemed to be doing very well in the comparison and the prices are out as well.
Check it out. The diesel here is preferred over the petrol engine.

UPDATE: I had visited the Honda showroom since it was just beside the hyundai showroom, but had clearly told the sales guy about my fixed budget. Today I got a call from him saying he'll manage the base Brio at whatever price I'm getting the i10 at. He also said he'll adjust in accessories. How good an offer is that? I have read here and at other places also about the Honda engine being better and the driving pleasure a Honda gives . Is this worth going ahead? edge111hussain

occasional i take a cab @ mumbai which are mostly i10 here. A good friend owns a Brio. I have already mentioned that i aint a big fan of the Brio's looks but that put aside here is my honest opinion.
The brio's engine is its true usp. The performance is fantastic and the mileage is amazing. We have done 100+ on the expressway very often. there is a definite noise seeping in and its not silent like my City, but then again its a small car. What impresses me here is its capacity to handle high speeds with the ability to overtake easily.
Also what i love abt the brio is the cabin space. I am 5'11 and i can fit in easily with 2 other guys @ the back seat. The car is impressively spacious. The engine is peppy and very easy to drive and park(gr8 for the fairer sex) .
Someone mentioned that the brio';s rear seat is not comfy, maybe this thread or another hatchback thread. Thats not true imho. Its is a lot more comfy than a swift and a lot more spacious.
I honestly feel @ 5l its a gr8 choice. I personally rate it higher than the i10, wagonr, swift and the likes

During the test ride, sit on the back seat with your wife and let the showroom guy drive you around. Tell him to speed as well and go through a stretch of rough road. That should help clear out all doubts.

The only real issues with the brio are poor ride quality - especially at the rear and not so great looking interiors. Also the boot is meant for one suitcase and nothing more. Put these aside and it is a fantastic car. The driving pleasure of the brio is unmatched in its class. The car is also dirt cheap to run and very reliable. Nothing has failed in it so far for me. The car has done 36k so far and still drives great without any rattles. The suspension does make a bit of noise now but blame that on the amazing bangalore roads.

Thanks for the feedback. But again I'm getting conflicting opinions about rear ride quality. I guess a test ride sitting at the back as mentioned above is the way to go. Good to hear that the cabin space is good.
Some of my points/doubts with regards to Brio.
- Looks. Wife loves it. Me not so much but I don't hate it either.
- Boot space. Surely less than i10. My parents and in-laws visit often. So my needs will involve picking and dropping them to station with luggage every now and then.
- I'm pretty sure that the variant the sales guy promised wouldn't have rear power windows which i10 magna will have (not revisited the showroom yet). I'm wondering IF the price difference isn't much, how big a con is this.
Everything else seems at par/better than i10.

Update: Meanwhile, just got a call from the Hyundai guy offering to give some more discount. I guess I'll keep my option open between i10 and Brio since I can't go too wrong with either one, and go for the one that offers me the best deal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. But again I'm getting conflicting opinions about rear ride quality. I guess a test ride sitting at the back as mentioned above is the way to go. Good to hear that the cabin space is good.
Some of my points/doubts with regards to Brio.
- Looks. Wife loves it. Me not so much but I don't hate it either.
- Boot space. Surely less than i10. My parents and in-laws visit often. So my needs will involve picking and dropping them to station with luggage every now and then.
- I'm pretty sure that the variant the sales guy promised wouldn't have rear power windows which i10 magna will have (not revisited the showroom yet). I'm wondering IF the price difference isn't much, how big a con is this.
Everything else seems at par/better than i10.

Update: Meanwhile, just got a call from the Hyundai guy offering to give some more discount. I guess I'll keep my option open between i10 and Brio since I can't go too wrong with either one, and go for the one that offers me the best deal.
are you getting the i10 or i10 grand ? i10 grand costs 4.88 on road for magna. U get all power window, rear ac vent , great space and comfortable suspension plus electric adjustable mirrors which is convenient.

This is getting stretched for no reason.

Op get your test drive first . Personally I would never buy an i10 cause the fuel efficiency is just shit. A Honda city on Highway gives better fe than a petrol i10 and that my friend says a lot.

Honestly if you could raise 4 odd lacs in cash, get yourself a second hand Polo, i20, Figo, or an amaze.
I don't like base models either. Abs and air bags are a must.

Finally, a second hand auto Polo, Swift, i20, Figo anyday over a new i10. Make sure the car is driven under 20k and throughly inspected

A modern car without rear power windows is hilarious, how much is Honda saving with this ridiculous cost-cutting? Boot space is also important if you have people coming over with luggage, just get the i10.

Just a after thought, have you checked one of these certified second hand dealers? They refurbish and verify a car and give warranty too for a year.
Whilst you will not get a loan via open market on a used, these guys have channel partners and might have a in-house loan facility on used

Just a after thought, have you checked one of these certified second hand dealers? They refurbish and verify a car and give warranty too for a year.
Whilst you will not get a loan via open market on a used, these guys have channel partners and might have a in-house loan facility on used
loans on second hand cars have interest over15% , its 9 on new

are you getting the i10 or i10 grand ? i10 grand costs 4.88 on road for magna. U get all power window, rear ac vent , great space and comfortable suspension plus electric adjustable mirrors which is convenient.
My mind's on i10. Grand is 50k costlier.
Finally, a second hand auto Polo, Swift, i20, Figo anyday over a new i10. Make sure the car is driven under 20k and throughly inspected
Haven't given too much thought on this. This would mean a total new train of thought.

My mind fixed on i10 magna for now. Seems to offer the best 'overall' package as per my requirements. I'll probably make the final decision this weekend. Thanks for all the inputs.

My mind's on i10. Grand is 50k costlier.

Haven't given too much thought on this. This would mean a total new train of thought.

My mind fixed on i10 magna for now. Seems to offer the best 'overall' package as per my requirements. I'll probably make the final decision this weekend. Thanks for all the inputs.
i would suggest you get Grand unless mileage too much concern as i10 has a lil smaller engine than grand. However in rest of the things grand is better. I'm sure even in pune grand base model is under 5 lakhs as it has great discounts these days. in delhi it is 4.88 on road.

Of course, grand is better in many ways but the best price that was offered to me in Pune was 5.55L for magna. Still I'll visit other showrooms and check with them.

Back