Nokia announces Lumia 800 and Lumia 710

DarkAngel

Skilled
Nokia Lumia 800

Let's start off with the Nokia Lumia 800. Powered by a Snapdragon chipset with a single-core Scorpion CPU and 512MB of RAM, the Nokia Lumia 800 runs Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. It offers 16GB of built-in storage and if that's not enough, Nokia also offers 25GB of free cloud storage
The display of the Nokia Lumia 800 is a 3.7" ClearBack AMOLED, which is a bit smaller than the Nokia N9's, on which it's based on because of the three capacitive Windows Phone buttons at the bottom.

The camera of the Lumia 800 is an 8MP f/2.2 camera with Carl Zeiss optics with auto-focus and dual LED flash. The Lumia 800 comes in three different colors to match your preferences - Blue, Magenta and Black.
Nokia has worked hard to customize the Windows Phone platform, too.The Lumia 800 features Nokia Drive, which is the first voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation on a Windows Phone device.

Nokia Lumia 710
Moving on with the Nokia 710, the next Windows Phone device that saw its announcement at Nokia World today.
The Lumia 710 features the same 1.4GHz single-core processor and same ammount of RAM as the Lumia 800. The display of the Lumia 710 is a 3.7" WVGA TFT capacitive touchscreen with a ClearBlack tehcnology.

The camera of the Lumia 710 is a 5MP auto-focus one with a single LED flash. As connectivity goes, the Lumia 710 offers Wi-Fi 801.2 b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1. A-GPS, 3.5mm headphone jack and a micro-USB connector make the package more complete.

Both the Lumia 800 and Lumia 710 are expected to hit stores in November with the Lumia 800 being now available for pre-order. At first the Nokia Lumia 800 will roll-out in France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK with 31 carriers and retailers. Hong Kong, India, Russia, Singapore and Taiwan will see its launch later in the year and more markets will follow their lead in early 2012.

Nokia officially announces the Lumia 800 and the Lumia 710 - GSMArena.com news

So we will be getting W7 with unique designs before the end of the year :) Hope the Lumia 800 is priced @ 22k or so and the Lumia 710 @ 17k or so which is pretty much in line with their android competitors like the Galaxy S plus and SE Neo V to compete well in the market.

Edit: Both the phones have 'MicroSIM card support only' :| Did they think they are making an iPhone!!!
Nokia Lumia 800 vs. Nokia Lumia 710 - GSMArena.com

Oh new thread on this here. I was updating the old thread about Nokia WP7.Anyways I guess this is the last chance for Nokia to prove something to the world that they were the initial smart phone makers :D

Nokia Lumia 800
•Dimensions: 116.5 x 61.2 x 12.1mm
•Weight: 142g
•512MB program memory
•No SD card slot

Nokia Lumia 710
•Dimensions: 119 x 62.4 x 12.5mm
•Storage: 8GB including SD slot
•512MB program memory
•No SD card slot

Damn it.. no SD card slot.

800 should have had 4" screen. 3.7" is a bit low for flagship. And no word whether both have front camera or not, I hope they do. Also expected card slot so that we could have 32/48GB models...so overall kinda underwhelmed. Waiting for true flagship which has 4" or 4.3" CBD AMOLED + 32/64GB + Nokia N8 equivalent or better camera with Xenon Flash.

But glad they have included Offline navigation from start...that's a major advantage over other WP handsets

@dark - Lumia 800 is same as N9 with windows OS, hence it has micro sim sim slot & no memory card slot.

N9 design is really beautiful. I can't wait to see more of it running windows. Nokia is back !!!

Lumia 800 FTW !!

Last edited by a moderator:
You anyways cannot swap memory cards in Windows Phone 7 so having a memory card slot is pointless. The rest of the phone looks awesome, heres hoping Nokia prices it right. If they try the same stunt like what they did with the E7 and make it too expensive, it will flop .... badly.

EDIT: Just saw the video. The Music player icon has changed from the Zune icon to a simple music note. Does this mean that Nokia won't use Zune features?

^Given current 3G tariffs, do you really need front camera ? I have so called revolutionary facetime, but hardly ever used it :bleh:

Is it just me or designs of samsung and LG suck really big time?

Just compare Samsung Omnia W I8350 with Lumina 800. Only thing which I see with samsung is bump in specs.

Most of the reviews of samsung phones also suggest they give poor earpiece. C'mon phone is not just about bumping specs and increasing resolution.

Look at nexus, do we really need a 720p screen in a phone?

Where is the stress on design, sleekness, battery backup, signal reception,etc

satan194p said:
Is it just me or designs of samsung and LG suck really big time?

Just compare Samsung Omnia W I8350 with Lumina 800. Only thing which I see with samsung is bump in specs.

Most of the reviews of samsung phones also suggest they give poor earpiece. C'mon phone is not just about bumping specs and increasing resolution.

Look at nexus, do we really need a 720p screen in a phone?

Where is the stress on design, sleekness, battery backup, signal reception,etc

There are people that like the design, and there are people that like the looks.

Both should be catered to.

Just like Inspirons and Thinkpads/Macbooks can coexist, so can the not so good looking high spec and better looking lower spec phones

Reception was already really good 4-5 years back, doubt its worse now

Battery: Are Androids THAT MUCH worse than Nokia's s60 based smartphones?

mehrotra.akash said:
Reception was already really good 4-5 years back, doubt its worse now

If you compare reception quality of Nokia phones with ANY other brand, Nokia will have better reception in almost every case. Even in current phones

pageisgod85 said:
Front facing cameras can also be used in apps like Skype and Fring which do not necessarily need a 3G connection.
Dude we are in India. There are no public WiFi hotspots. Or else we can have a poll asking how many of us use front webcam of ours mobile :)
RVK2488 said:
If you compare reception quality of Nokia phones with ANY other brand, Nokia will have better reception in almost every case. Even in current phones
+1.

So for my next phone I'll have to choose b/w a good OS (Android) vs a good reception (Nokia(Dont like WinMo much)) :(:(

And yeah, I checked today, the reception on my Nokia 1280,1110 and N79 is better than that of my friends Xperia Mini Pro

avi said:
Dude we are in India. There are no public WiFi hotspots. Or else we can have a poll asking how many of us use front webcam of ours mobile :)

My apologies. I was talking about myself as I rarely step out of the house and make numerous Fring calls in a day.

No need to apologize :)

But I am sure many of us won't be using front web cam.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

mehrotra.akash said:
So for my next phone I'll have to choose b/w a good OS (Android) vs a good reception (Nokia(Dont like WinMo much)) :(:(

And yeah, I checked today, the reception on my Nokia 1280,1110 and N79 is better than that of my friends Xperia Mini Pro

Signal Reception, build & battery back up. heck even my iPhone gives me just 30+ hours battery, I am missing the days of old Nokia 2-3 days battery back up. Missing my old Nokia 3230 smart phone !

@avi, when I invest 20k+ on a mobile, I expect it to have even the features that I will use rarely. Coz otherwise I would have compromised on features and bought something within say 10-15k

I think front camera is one such feature

I do use front cam as mirror when i m traveling...esp. to comb my hair or atleast to make them set well. :cool2:So for me a front cam makes a much diff. though i wont be a 3g user for another year yet.

And yeah, no phone brand can beat nokia battery life and signal reception...

Thus, for nokia i will give +1000 for these features & stand by it firmly. :D

Back