Nokia announces Lumia 800 and Lumia 710

No Front Cam , For people who are cribbing about lack of memory card slots , NFC .. Windows Phone doesn't support them yet. The only phone which came with a slot was pretty much a hackjob as the card was then unreadable by anything else.

The screen is nice , 3.7" ain't bad actually.. very vibrant display. For those who want giant screens , you might want to wait just a little bit more ;)

dhruvrock2000 said:
The only phone which came with a slot was pretty much a hackjob as the card was then unreadable by anything else.
Ironically, Symbian S60 phones are one of the few devices capable of restoring those unreadable memory cards. My HD2 has locked my SD card almost 7 times now while rom flashing, and each and every single time my N79 rescued it :lol:

RD274 said:
Ironically, Symbian S60 phones are one of the few devices capable of restoring those unreadable memory cards. My HD2 has locked my SD card almost 7 times now while rom flashing, and each and every single time my N79 rescued it :lol:

In my experience so far, Symbian is THE best way to format / restore memory cards. And with USB OTG this feature has been extended to flash drives as well!

Old symbian based nokia phones had good battery life as they did not have 1ghz processor or 3.5"+ display , I doubt Nokia wp7 phones will be able to deliver such battery life

Also, you didn't have as many data and power hungry apps/processes running in the background as the current smartphones do.

mehrotra.akash said:
There are people that like the design, and there are people that like the looks.
Both should be catered to.

Just like Inspirons and Thinkpads/Macbooks can coexist, so can the not so good looking high spec and better looking lower spec phones
Reception was already really good 4-5 years back, doubt its worse now
Battery: Are Androids THAT MUCH worse than Nokia's s60 based smartphones?

I am also in favour of good specs but I think people are getting just a bit too Obsessed about specs.
I have seen so many threads about S2 having poor backup.
IMO singnal reception of nokia is still way better.
Apple has proved it again and again that its not about only specs. Check out benchmarks of S2 and ip4s. iphone beats it by really big margins in every department despite having half ram and lower clocked proc. That's where beauty of optimization comes in.
My only point is that sammy is giving too much stress on specs rather than whole phone as a device.

pageisgod85 said:
Also, you didn't have as many data and power hungry apps/processes running in the background as the current smartphones do.
Not to mention the huge screens which we have these days. Display is also a major battery drainer.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

satan194p said:
I am also in favour of good specs but I think people are getting just a bit too Obsessed about specs.

I have seen so many threads about S2 having poor backup.

IMO singnal reception of nokia is still way better.

Apple has proved it again and again that its not about only specs. Check out benchmarks of S2 and ip4s. iphone beats it by really big margins in every department despite having half ram and lower clocked proc. That's where beauty of optimization comes in.

My only point is that sammy is giving too much stress on specs rather than whole phone as a device.

Very true. Actually, it's only the Android brigade that has brought up all the crazy specs in phones. Android is the worst optimized OS and I would primarily blame that on manufacturers who just make a phone and slap the Android OS on it without tinkering for optimization. That's the reason why we see performance issues even with phones have high specs, also battery drain.

symbian, iphone, BB and even WP7 are all well optimized for their hardware. I guess one of the reasons they are also coming up with beefed up specs is just so that they can compare with Android counterparts on the spec sheet. But IMO that's not a real comparison. I would take a well optimized OS on single core 1Ghz processor over a horribly optimized OS on a dual core 1.2Ghz processor any day.

the response on my focus is very quick and fluid, i can't say the same about android on sensation or galaxy S. most people just fall for the dual core and higher RAM specs without realizing whether they need it or not? for those who think windows phone 7 OS is not good, give it a try and you will be surprised. It is nothing like WM 6.5.x. I say this in a positive and negative way, as WP7 does not have certain features which were present in WM6.x itself

I still cant believe Nokia is giving up on Symbian,or atleast shifting focus to WP 7 . Symbian by its nature was always a very "frugal" OS in terms of power requirements .It was also one of the most complete at its launch including a file manager (No Astro needed), a basic task manager(No ATK here),memory expansion and mass drive support as standard.

Another area where it was flexible was/is in the connections department.

All the apps that require network access had to be authorised by the user. Morever You could specify a particular apn for a particular job(The whole destinations menu). This lead to 2 fold benefits :

1)No power wasting by apps that connect to Web persistently

2)The user could control the amount he is spending on data each month.

Unfortunately, in the recent OS's Flexiblity has been traded for elegance. Yes,Symbian was ugly and sometimes you had to "push" instead of "glide" ,But AFAIK after winMo 6.1 It was the most powerful OS around.Atleast on Symbian V3.

What is Harder for me to comprehend is that Google and Apple who till 4 years ago had no idea about a mobile phone are market leaders in the segment while Nokia the leader is languishing behind.

Also I find it strange that Nokia chooses to equip it WP 7 phones with current V7 scorpion and its poor cousins with a generation old processors sporting "1Ghz" tags.

Still Android sells and there are just 5 reasons for it:

1)Free Apps

2) Home launcher which can be changed

3)CM7

4)CM7

5)CM7

regards,

aka.

According to Engadget the naming scheme by Nokia was a massive cock up! Lumia means prostitute in spanish!

aka911 said:
I still cant believe Nokia is giving up on Symbian,or atleast shifting focus to WP 7 . Symbian by its nature was always a very "frugal" OS in terms of power requirements .It was also one of the most complete at its launch including a file manager (No Astro needed), a basic task manager(No ATK here),memory expansion and mass drive support as standard.
Another area where it was flexible was/is in the connections department.
All the apps that require network access had to be authorised by the user. Morever You could specify a particular apn for a particular job(The whole destinations menu). This lead to 2 fold benefits :

1)No power wasting by apps that connect to Web persistently
2)The user could control the amount he is spending on data each month.

Unfortunately, in the recent OS's Flexiblity has been traded for elegance. Yes,Symbian was ugly and sometimes you had to "push" instead of "glide" ,But AFAIK after winMo 6.1 It was the most powerful OS around.Atleast on Symbian V3.

What is Harder for me to comprehend is that Google and Apple who till 4 years ago had no idea about a mobile phone are market leaders in the segment while Nokia the leader is languishing behind.
Also I find it strange that Nokia chooses to equip it WP 7 phones with current V7 scorpion and its poor cousins with a generation old processors sporting "1Ghz" tags.
1)Free Apps
3)CM7
4)CM7
5)CM7

regards,
aka.

Couldn't agree more! And after Belle update, the only feature that will still lag behind is the browser - which unfortunately is one of the critical feature in current smartphones. If they work on that and come up with 4" devices, I would drop my Focus w/o second thought. And going by the approach of MS, I think WP will never have file manager and other basic things which we used to take granted in Symbian phones. Seriously iOS, WP and even android...these are "modern" "cutting edge" OSes? WTF? Between iOS, WP and android, at least android has most of the features although not out of the box. But the model that Google has chosen, they cannot ever make it as smooth experience as iOS or WP for all devices. It will be fragmented always and buyer's will be dependent on manufacturer for upgrades. So now since m*****f****rs at Nokia have chosen to abandon Symbian for WP, we are left with 3 options out of which 2 provide smooth enjoyable experience but lack many features. And one has most features but everything is half-baked, it's not optimized and never will be. And btw, Google just wants our personal data so that they can bombard us with advertisements. This is the future of mobiles my friends! :facepalm:

aka911 said:

1)Free Apps

3)CM7

4)CM7

5)CM7

While I agree with the rest of your post and have been a life long Nokia fan, I do not agree with the reasons you stated for Android's success. Free apps is definitely one of them, but the rest aren't. Considering the sheer amount of Android smartphones being sold around the world, I would guess that less than 5% of them root and install a custom ROM, and an even smaller percentage of them install CM7 since it's not available for all devices. Same thing goes for launcher replacement. Some people don't even change the layout of the icons and widgets on the original launcher! If I were to point out the reasons why Android has been successful, it would be the following:

1) Wide range of phones available (I don't have to buy a Samsung phone if I don't like the brand and still own an Android device)

2) Free apps

3) Cool factor (Everybody's getting an Android. It must be cool, I should get one too)

4) Price (You won't get a capacitive display phone for 6-7k with any other OS currently)

5) Modding capabilities (With an Android phone, you can change almost the entire look of the UI without even rooting it)

I totally agree with most people here who wonder why Nokia ditched Symbian in favour of WP7. Belle looks amazing and Symbian gave Nokia its own identity. With WP7, it will be just another fish in the sea of WP7 manufacturers. And the whole Metro UI thing is not everybody's cup of tea. Some will love it, others will hate it for the inability to change anything about the UI. Not hating on WP7, but I don't find it very appealing. Yes, it is ultra smooth with zero lag and does most things a person needs from a smartphone, but if I needed those features, I'd rather go for an iPhone.

pageisgod85 said:
While I agree with the rest of your post and have been a life long Nokia fan. I do not agree with the reasons you stated for Android's success. Free apps is definitely one of them, but the rest aren't. Considering the sheer amount of Android smartphones being sold around the world, I would guess that less than 5% of them root and install a custom ROM, and an even smaller percentage of them install CM7 since it's not available for all devices. Same thing goes for launcher replacement. Some people don't even change the layout on the original launcher! If I were to point out the reasons why Android has been successful, it would be the following:

1) Wide range of phones available (I don't have to buy a Samsung phone if I don't like the brand and still own an Android device)

2) Free apps

3) Cool factor (Everybody's getting an Android. It must be cool, I should get one too)

4) Price (You won't get a capacitive display phone for 6-7k with any other OS currently)

5) Modding capabilities (With an Android phone, you can change almost the entire look of the UI without even rooting it)

I totally agree with most people here wonder why Nokia ditched Symbian in favour of WP7. Belle looks amazing and Symbian gave Nokia its own identity. With WP7, it will be just another fish in the sea of WP7 manufacturers. And the whole UI is not everybody's cup of tea. Some will love it, others will hate it for the inability to change anything about the UI. Not hating on WP7, but I don't find it very appealing. Yes, it is ultra smooth with zero lag and does most things a person needs from a smartphone, but if I needed those features, I'd rather go for an iPhone.

Your reasons are spot on. The 3rd point is a major contributor in overall sales IMHO.

And regarding WP7, again you are right. I think there would be 2 major reasons why WP7 can fail very badly -

1. UI: People either love it or hate it. There is almost nothing in between. And worst thing is you cannot do anything about it i.e. no customization. So you will buy it only if you like it.

2. Features: At least right now MS seems to be following Apple's footsteps in terms of features. No file manager, need to sync everything with Zune, no basic features such as Bluetooth transfer, No memory card support etc..etc...we can go on and on. Right now the OS is still new and barely a year old (which not an excuse tbh coz its not like they were not in mobile OS business before) so I will give them a year before I start losing hope. But I don't know why my gut feeling says they are not going to implement any of those features within next 1 year. So basically right now if I don't want to buy android, I might as well go for iOS since both iOS and WP7 are crippled in features but at least iOS has myriad of apps and games. In short it's difficult to convince potential buyers why they should chose WP7 over iPhone. This is where Nokia is supposed to wow us with it's awesome hardware to steer us towards WP7. But the current Lumia series is lukewarm tbh. Aside from N9's design and camera copied to 800, there is nothing extra ordinary in both phones.

Back