Nokia announces Lumia 800 and Lumia 710

satan194p

Adept
May 8, 2010
That's the difference between apple and nokia. If apple invests in something, they believe in it and then they back it. Remember when origional iphone was launched, there was not even an app store. And full touchscreen without a keypad was really odd at that time

What happened with meego? half -harted attempt.

When I used N900, it was the first phone from nokia which I liked from geekiness point of view. Everything was so good about it. It had terminal, smooth Ui and apps were starting to grow but then nokia dumped it :(

Things were looking really good with belle and now nokia is even dropping that.

I totally agree with RVK2488 that it will be very hard for people to choose WP7 over ios as they both have same restrictions

aka911

Skilled
Mar 15, 2005
New Delhi
Just read a review of new nokia mix radio. It seems it is free streaming music for life. No registration,no fees . Also allows you to create 3 playlist. Sounds awesome. Includes whole catalogue of nokia music which includes bollywood too. Just needs a data connection or wifi.sounds nice let's see how it pans out. Hope it comes to symb as well.

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
Aug 19, 2009
Chennai
For a comeback Nokia should have gone with Symbian + Meego or Meego + WP7 or Symbian + Meego + WP7 (Killer Choice).

Meego was prematurely killed.. and what the F**k happened to Maemo .

It a completed idiocy for Nokia to ditch 3 in-house OS in favor of 3rd party MS WP7(Thanks to Stephen Elop).

1)iOS at-least natively has the Folder option. Not possible in WP7(as of now).

2)Metro UI won't appeal to wide range to audience as iOS / Andriod does.

Nokia plans a comeback with 1 very new OS , new partnership with MS (which they brag about in every possible interview) , new UI in new array of devices.

This all "New" things might be successful but not on a larger scale.

As a Whole MS might succeed , but as a handset manufactured Nokia might not be breaking bigger grounds.Nokia is not bringing something very new to plate.

There other players offer the same package.

For Microsoft - Nokia is just another manufacturer with brand reputation in the past and which might, might help them to penetrate some key markets(US and EUR) to an extent.

For Nokia - They believe Microsoft WP is a life saver and it might make them market leader once again(in their dreams).

Nokia's a*s is on the line.

p.s -IMO just after the Metro UI when u dig deeper into WP7 all you see is "Text and text" everywhere, there are not fancy Icons or animation, only texts.

since when did we start hating icons.

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
^ Have some hope.

1) Did most of the world care about that when Ipods first released? Ofcourse many whined about that, but most people didn't mind. They sat down and learnt how to sync and managed just fine. WP7 does away with even that. Sure a power user wouldn't like that (and theres an app for dealing with that also if he cared to google) but a majority of the world wouldn't care. Clearly MS has thought this through, I mean why would they drop such a major feature when their last OS was the powerful WM6.5.

2) Metro UI looks fantastic, almost every single one of my friends who tried my phone fell in love with it and most of them were Android users. Its not just looks, their first praise was that it never lagged (and I had like 60+ apps installed back then). Almost every single Android user suffers from a laggy phone over time, the small percentage of users who flash roms and mod their phone save themselves to some extent but what of the remaining 90% odd users who don't even root their phones?

Its too early to say what the rest of the world will do next. Pray that MS and Nokia promote this device properly as they actually do have a killer device on their hands. Sure it'll never make them a market leader again but it will atleast pull them out of the mess they've currently deteriorated into.

Haha you must've gone in the Settings menu which is absolutely bland. But nevermind that, use WP7 over a long duration and you'll see how well it just .... works :)

R0H!T

Adept
Jun 28, 2008
Pune
RD274 said:
^ Have some hope.

1) Did most of the world care about that when Ipods first released? Ofcourse many whined about that, but most people didn't mind. They sat down and learnt how to sync and managed just fine. WP7 does away with even that. Sure a power user wouldn't like that (and theres an app for dealing with that also if he cared to google) but a majority of the world wouldn't care. Clearly MS has thought this through, I mean why would they drop such a major feature when their last OS was the powerful WM6.5.

2) Metro UI looks fantastic, almost every single one of my friends who tried my phone fell in love with it and most of them were Android users. Its not just looks, their first praise was that it never lagged (and I had like 60+ apps installed back then). Almost every single Android user suffers from a laggy phone over time, the small percentage of users who flash roms and mod their phone save themselves to some extent but what of the remaining 90% odd users who don't even root their phones?

Its too early to say what the rest of the world will do next. Pray that MS and Nokia promote this device properly as they actually do have a killer device on their hands. Sure it'll never make them a market leader again but it will atleast pull them out of the mess they've currently deteriorated into.

Haha you must've gone in the Settings menu which is absolutely bland. But nevermind that, use WP7 over a long duration and you'll see how well it just .... works :)

1) You are correct. But one point you are missing though. Nokia is recognized everywhere and everyone who have used Nokia handset in the past are should I say 'spoiled' with features such as mass storage mode, Bluetooth file transfer option, memory card support, ability to set any song as ringtone...to name a few. Note that from a normal customer's point of view these are basic features which even their S40 4-5k handsets have. Similarly in case of power users, their existing Symbian 3 handsets have USB OTG, HDMI out, FM Transmitter, NFC...to name a few. So from a normal customer who has bought 4-5k worth handset before to premium customers who have bought top of the line handsets, all are going to miss one or more features when they buy WP7 - which is the "future" btw - which normally implies better features. And when their friends and family have android devices which also have these features, they will feel like fools. Only Apple can get away with such mistakes because of their reality distortion field. Microsoft or Nokia do not have even 1/10th of the coolness factor that Apple (and Google) enjoy. So they should not even dream about following Apple's footsteps in this area.

2) UI and lag free awesome experience is one point which can win them millions of new customers. But till now Microsoft has been a pathetic advertiser and if they continue like that, nobody is gonna know how cool and awesome WP7 is. Even in my case everyone who used my phone liked the smooth response of the OS. But ironically many people (non-geeks) thought the tiles were intimidating and looking at the home screen they thought it must be some hi-fi OS which will require time to understand. So the main issue is, will they be successful in converting the potential customers in actual customers?

Completely agree with the last line - it just ...works! All the features that they have implemented work beautifully - which is why I have high hopes from MS. But if they screw up Apollo, it will be almost impossible to make a comeback.

And Nokia has already somewhat disappointed me because they could not come up with a true flagship. Their last high-end phone was more than a year ago in the form of N8 and I think compared to Lumia 800, N8 still is the flagship. N9 sadly does not count due to it's very limited availability.

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
Aug 19, 2009
Chennai
RD274 said:
^ Have some hope.

Yes absolutely agree with you. But as a handset manufacturer Nokia should gone with multiple OS solution like HTC, Samsung.They are betting real big with 1 new OS.
Almost every single Android user suffers from a laggy phone over time, the small percentage of users who flash roms and mod their phone save themselves to some extent but what of the remaining 90% odd users who don't even root their phones?

Spot on.The Product cycle of Androids is in weeks and the handset life cycle is in days.Every week there is one flag ship product from each manufacturer.
Hordes of Droid devices plunge into market with more muscle power as though Android phones are gonna run Crysis.
Soon enough we will see phones with unlocked multipliers,turbo cache, even custom case and coolers :rofl: .

Pray that MS and Nokia promote this device properly as they actually do have a killer device on their hands. Sure it'll never make them a market leader again but it will atleast pull them out of the mess they've currently deteriorated into.

I would absolutely love to see Nokia to crush the market and regain the market share .But it's OS I'm concerned about.

RS4

Skilled
May 16, 2010
India
No use of crying over OS choice now, this WP7 strategy for smartphones announcement was made by nokia's CEO Stephen Elop around 8 months back with all the symbian is a burning patform, meego is crufty etc etc declaration by the CEO, so now people can get nokia WP7 handsets or else there are many other android options in the market.

Regarding features: MS is adding features slowly one by one as the OS is just a year old and they are also asking for feedback, people can suggest lacking features or new features and MS will try to incorporate the suggestions in the next update, follow this link for more info: http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/vote-suggest-features-next-wp7-update-200272.html

Also please give 3 votes to this feature as its on the second page and not getting many views whereas the other basic features have already received many votes: Customizable tile and Homescreen wallpaper

RS4

Skilled
May 16, 2010
India
Nokia's marketing for the Lumia 800 in the UK has been massive, on 28th Nov. Nokia brought deadmau5 and the world's most advanced 4D technology together and created an amazing free light show at Millbank Tower, London.

The show is amazing, watch it in HD :)

[youtube]SX2Gd-kqV5s[/youtube]

RS4

Skilled
May 16, 2010
India
avi said:
wow awesome :O

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

a comment :

It's funny because deadmau5 uses a Mac.

:rofl:

Lame comment, Deadmau5 is a DJ not a windows phone developer or windows marketing fellow :bleh:

Sadly Mac owners cant enjoy the fantastic zune experience but Microsoft has released Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/windows-phone-7-connector/id415571499?mt=12

@Dhruv: Congrats :) This deserves a separate show off thread.

sahib

Disciple
May 8, 2009
avi said:
Who you are fooling ? Pics with date & name on paper phleez !

<j/k>
umm avi idk if you were joiking but this mod gets nokia devices straight out of the factory.Even before it hits the markets.

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
Aug 19, 2009
Chennai
Received call from Nokia CC yesterday (had signed up for Lumia 800 in Nokia Website) .

Nokia CC : Are you interested in Nokia Lumia 800?
Me : ya might be

Nokia CC : Let me tell you about features of Lumia 800 .
Me : NOPE. I have seen enough videos and reviews . :eek:hyeah: (oh yeah I'm a geek)

Me: when it's gonna be launched in INDIA.
Nokia CC: It's available for Pre-order. Pre-oder price is 3k to be booked with nearest Nokia Priority.

Me: When it's gonna be launched .. date???
Nokia CC : 3rd week of December.

Me: Price?? (biting nails...)
Nokia CC: 30k

Me: What the... :huh: . Does it have NFC ,I beleive NFC can be activated with a patch or update from Microsoft. can you confirm that?
Nokia CC : NO . no NFC.

Pricing is on higher side. Hoping sulekha mobile deals will bring it down a bit.

ambar_hitman

Disciple
Jun 4, 2009
Check out benchmarks of S2 and ip4s. iphone beats it by really big margins in every department despite having half ram and lower clocked proc. That's where beauty of optimization comes in

My 2 cents on this.
Personally, I dont give a f**k about specs, benchmarks etc. As long as the OS is unrestrictive and gives me no lag, I am happy. I want to transfer my files via Bluetooth to anyone, put MP3s whenever and however I want, play any kind of movies without lag, set my CPU speeds and control my apps fully, hence I went with SGS 2.
I am pretty sure WP 7 will also allow such freedom rather than shoving bloatware.

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Just to tell you, you can do same with iOS too. Though still iOS has more restrictions than Android.

Bluetooth - Celeste

MP3s - PwnTunes

Play any movies - Av Player

Set CPU speeds - not possible afaik

Control my apps - like ?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
Jan 30, 2010
Praha, Czechia
avi said:
Control my apps - like ?

Probably talking about firewall em, using droidwall or something like that.

But amber hitman, you were not even into rooting.

A jailbroken iPhone can do all those(except changing clockspeed and undervolting...but those were not needed as ip4 has brilliant battery life ;with 4s we may see underclocking,as the battery life is really BAD)

Sent from Galaxy S2